Certified Legendary Thread Willo's Friday Inquisitions - Seasons 1 & 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Sneak peek... The sneaky interview will be a long time poster who has been absent for a while.... likely to be done Monday, and land Tuesday

Watch this space

I am really enjoying the fact that I'm coming into this thread each time with high expectations (based on the posters being interviewed) and still finding those expectations exceeded. Top stuff from everyone involved.

And MC Extra Dollop is next cab off the rank? All good.

Pre-season is way more bearable this way.:thumbsu:

Sneak peek... The sneaky interview will be a long time poster who has been absent for a while.... likely to be done Monday, and land Tuesday

Watch this space

*Spoiler alert* I joined many months ago & haven't posted for a few days so chance it could be me ;)

*Spoiler alert* I joined many months ago & haven't posted for a few days so chance it could be me ;)

Hey, Daniel McL, thanks for the tip.

Still think there's more chance of JJ winning the Brownlow/Norm Smith double in 2015 than seeing you featured here next week.;)

Although I'm sure you'll score a guernsey at some stage.

Keep the positivity coming.

Hey, Daniel McL, thanks for the tip.

Still think there's more chance of JJ winning the Brownlow/Norm Smith double in 2015 than seeing you featured here next week.;)

Although I'm sure you'll score a guernsey at some stage.

Keep the positivity coming.

Well I guess I'm going to be featured next week because JJ is a certainty :p

Thanks!

thejester , enjoyed your insights in "the bubble" , it resonated with me , perhaps it the bubble that cause so much scarring post 89-95 , and thru teh 80's re the Hawks. Man I respect them and hate them , there like Toe fungus ....

Anyway... thoughts on Jansen.. Do you think we could use him down back? at 193 , Im thinking he has more to give than just be a mid?
I think the fact he played down back for WA was just a temporary expedient on their part - ie worry about talent first, position second. I reckon we keep him in midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good for you!
Want to celebrate this milestone with a few frothies at the Barwon?
Considering I had such a good night that I'm considering spew number 3.... sure why not

Pumped for (I don't even know what day you release them anymore :p) hopefully tomorrow or Friday's next interview!

*Chants from BF Posters* Hint Hint Hint ;)

Pumped for (I don't even know what day you release them anymore :p) hopefully tomorrow or Friday's next interview!

*Chants from BF Posters* Hint Hint Hint ;)
Well it normally will be on a Friday.....

BUT..... being draft week there is an extra special bonus one on its way shortly ....

Good Evening Fellow Cats fans and opposition lurkers,

Welcome to an extra special draft week edition of the Friday Inquisition.... err Draft Inquisition.
Earlier in the show we spoke to the always insightful thejester , now onto our next guest.

Tonights guest is another of the very good draft people to take note of, and also a slightly controversial choice as they haven't posted basically all season. I have had the pleasure of sitting down for a beer with him a few times and enjoy the discussion and his views so wanted to add him to the mix.

Tonights guest...... Budda 230

*inb4 Shell likes this

1st question is the standard easy one, why the Cats for you?

That is actually a good question, as I don’t remember not being a Geelong supporter. Dad was an extremist Essendon supporter who grew up in the Western suburbs of Melbourne, while Mum was part of a passionate Geelong supporting family in Queenscliff. Somehow Mum won me over extremely young, but that didn’t stop Dad from taking me to Essendon vs Hawthorn games in the early 90s at Waverley Park. Considering the first 5-10 AFL games I went to didn’t involve Geelong, I’m extremely lucky not to be a Bombers supporter. There is a terrible photo of me aged approximately 3 being forced into an Essendon jumper that Dad likes to occasionally dig out. I really dodged a bullet there considering the current circumstances.

And what originally led you to Bigfooty?

I actually joined at an extremely low point for the Cats, August 2006. I had been a forum lurker for a couple of years prior to that, but at that time it had become apparent that the 2006 season was shot and I was getting into list management mode earlier than the previous two years. I was probably a bit emotional at the time with the poor season and felt I needed to put my opinion out there, especially considering I believed the list was still in good shape.

I was also playing country footy at the time and was a regular poster on the Gippsland Footy Board.

I'll get onto list management mode later, what did/do you enjoy about the forum?

I think like most posters, I just love discussing and reading about footy. Bigfooty has some extremely knowledgeable footy minds and it is always enjoyable reading their thoughts on the game. Unfortunately as you know, I’m no longer a regular poster due to some extremely negatives attitudes that began to sneak into the forum. I do still have the Bigfooty addiction raging deep within and regularly visit the Draft related threads, which seem to improve with quality information every year.

On the reason you stopped posting being the negativity, do you think that is a result of people being a bit spoilt with the recent success and not being able to handle the drop off well?

Yeah, I think spoilt is the right word. The thing that really frustrated me was the unrealistic expectations of both the team and individual players. The impatience toward Tom Hawkins’ development in particular was farcical. I couldn’t believe the large percentage of people who were genuinely of the opinion that he should be traded; even some were discussing the potential delisting of the big fellow. The immergence of Tomahawk in that 2011 Grand Final was nearly as rewarding as the victory personally.

I haven’t had to deal with the unrealistic expectations of those who can’t handle an inevitable drop off, as I try to avoid those types of threads. But this season was the tenth time in eleven seasons that the side has made finals, it is a remarkable achievement. I try to put things in perspective by thinking in that manner. Straight sets was a bitterly disappointing outcome, but in this day and age of the draft, the fact our club is still contending deserves greater applause. It is the greatest time in history to be a Geelong supporter (excluding those ridiculous 1870s/80s).

So onto the draft/list management stuff... what got you into that side of it?

The optimism of seeing Geelong improve was the main motivation. 1999 was when I first really began taking a keen interest. At that point in time there wasn’t much media attention for prospective draftees, but there were plenty of match reports and the TAC Cup was televised Grand Final morning. I clearly remember seeing David Spriggs play very well that day and was stoked when the Cats drafted him a couple of months later on TV (the last televised draft for many years). We also drafted some kids named Corey, Chapman, Ling and Enright that day who I hadn’t heard of at the time.

From there, I slowly started attending TAC Cup games, but it was hard work juggling Geelong games and local footy without a licence. Where my junior footy interest really started kicked in was 2005, when I would go watch Tom Hawkins play for Melbourne Grammar. He was still bottomed aged that year, but I also got to see quite a bit of Xavier Ellis at the same time. From there the bug kicked in and hasn’t really stopped since.

That's gold, you were rapt we got Spriggs... and not sure what to make of the rest.... it worked out reasonably well though

It makes me laugh now that is for sure. The one bloke that I rated (and admittedly only seen) was a flop in arguably the greatest individual draft haul in history. Ezra Bray had some serious talent too.

So how do you keep on top of it all these days?

Prior to this season, I hadn’t played local footy for seven years due to a crook back, so I had plenty of free weekends. I’d try to go watch as many TAC Cup matches as I could, especially Gippsland Power games as it is a much shorter drive from home. I would get to most of the National Champs games in Victoria that weren’t telecast and even get to a few of the trials. The more high standard junior footy you watch live, the more accustomed and familiar you become with the draftable kids. This year I decided to have one last crack at local footy, which was obviously going to hinder my junior viewing. Unfortunately, I did my knee, but it did open up the opportunity to watch plenty of TAC Cup in the last couple of months of the season. I was also fairly lucky this year that during my own football, Gippsland Power hosted games against the talented NSW/ACT and Queensland sides at Morwell on Sundays. So after originally thinking my draft opinions could be weak, I’ve managed to watch just as much footy as previous years. It certainly makes this time of the year far more enjoyable.

So do you have a type of player in mind you think we will pick up or need.... or even better some guesses of actual players?

Upgrading pick 14 to pick 10 has certainly made things interesting. Stephen Wells has a history of selecting players he regards as best available. There is a clear shortage of inside midfielders on the list, but the only bona fide mids at the top end of the draft are Petracca and Brayshaw and they’ll be long gone. The club wouldn’t have upgraded to pick 10 to reach for an inside midfielder that would have been available at 14. There are certainly some who have to tools to become full time mids around the mark though.

We all know Wells loves his versatile 187-190cm types, but he is also on record as rating the talls of this particular crop very highly. That immediately means that the likes of Wright and Lever will be considered should they slide down the order. There are a few supporters bemoaning the potential drafting of another forward/ruck after gaining Clark and Stanley during the trade period, but Peter Wright has some amazing attributes. You aren’t drafting him to play next year, he’ll be beginning to peak when the likes of Hawkins and Clark hit their 30s.

There has been strong links to Jordan DeGoey in recent days and it isn’t difficult to see why. He is that classic Wells height at 187cm, he can win his own ball at the stoppages and is extremely dangerous one on one when moving forward. Whether he gets to Geelong, who knows? Collingwood are apparently very keen, as are GWS according to the media sources.

I’m a massive fan of Jayden Laverde. There isn’t much he can’t do. Through the midfield he runs and carries the ball and while he mostly only shown his outside prowess, I’ve seen enough to suggest he can develop an inside game. Up forward, he creates mismatches with his height (189cm) and leap, but when the ball hits the ground he can burn most defenders off. I believe he has the potential to be the best of this draft and only recently has there been murmurs of him potentially sliding. That excites me.

The late picks will be a balancing act based on needs and what was taken at pick 10 in my opinion. If the Cats are after immediate inside help, Norwood’s Matthew Panos would have to be considered as a mature age selection. If the Cats don’t select a Lever or Durdin type early, a developing key defender will be on the cards. Christian Buykx-Smith is an underrated defender from Gippsland who has had injury concerns, but possesses AFL standard tools. Tasmanian Josh Watts would also be considered

And who would you like to see us get the most?

I’ve definitely developed an affection for Laverde, so I’ll probably back myself there now he is considered realistic. In saying that, I doubt there will be disappointment. I’d be stoked with any of DeGoey, Wright, Lever, Duggan, Durdin or Cockatoo.

Have there been any picks we have taken lately that had disappointed you or really done your head in?

I don’t like being too critical of the list management decisions, as let’s be honest, we are indebted to the likes of Stephen Wells for being lucky enough to witness such sustained success. But there have certainly been times when I’ve raised my eyebrows, that doesn’t mean it is the right or wrong decision.

Coming into the 2012 draft, I was a massive fan of Brodie Grundy, as was krisholio14 . We had seen him play 8-10 times over two years, in both Victoria and South Australia. We loved what he offered as a pure ruckman and at ground level. I personally rated him top three that draft and still believe the Pies got a ridiculous bargain, but that is nothing against Thurlow as a player. Not sure how long this recent trend of ignorance toward rucks will last, but it already looks to be seeing Wright slide this year (I rate him as a forward mind you).

The other one I didn’t rate highly at the time was Billie Smedts. I never rated his kicking and despite his ridiculous agility, I could never pin point where he’d play at AFL level. Hopefully he can have a breakout season and prove me wrong in 2015.

And on Billie Smedts, do you have any idea where he is most likely to succeed at the top level.... or what position gives him the best chance

Gee, that is the million dollar question. He has probably played his best footy forward for Geelong, while he also kicked some bags of goals for the Falcons at times during his junior years. I don’t trust his kicking enough to play behind the ball, so his agility is probably best utilised in the forward half. Perhaps he becomes a tall mid? So many questions to be answered on Smedts.

Who on the Cats board to you rate in terms of draft knowledge? And who stands out in the media for the same?

krisholio14 has always been the man I bounce my ideas off, I respect his opinion immensely. Unfortunately he is gallivanting around in America, so he hasn’t been able to watch much of this year’s form. The likes of thejester and Pure_Ownage always produce good material, while The Pivotonian makes some credible contributions.

And in the media?

I think Emma Quayle is daylight ahead of the rest. Not only her sources, but the individual player stories are brilliant. The likes of Cal Twomey and Brett Anderson have improved out of sight though. Not that I pester them, but all three are very responsive on Twitter and impressively patient.

The Cats off season thus far, how have you rated it with the ins and outs?

Firstly the outs. Bundy is obviously the big one. We already lacked depth and support for Selwood at the stoppages, to lose statistically our third best inside midfielder is enormous. It is extremely difficult to replace a guy like Christensen immediately too.

I loved Travis Varcoe and always held hope that he would return to the 2009-11 form. Admittedly, he needed a change of scenery. He played as a relatively negative small defender at times in 2014, which just isn’t his go. He plays his best footy kicking and setting up goals, while creating defensive pressure. Sounds like he’ll get that opportunity in 2015.

Joel Hamling was one that really surprised me. He was always recruited as a long term prospect and in my eyes, showed the required development each season. The fact that we lack developing KDPs made the decision even more puzzling.

So the ins. Mitch Clark is a bargain pick up in my eyes. He looks free of illness and if he keeps his body tip top, he is a very dangerous partner to Hawkins. Well worth the risk at the price.

I’m desperately trying to warm to Rhys Stanley. It isn’t a question as to whether he has the talent, but how consistently he can produce it and in what position he can execute it. Looking back on that Fremantle replay, it is difficult not to be slightly excited by him. Could that Christensen pick have been used on something more pressing? Perhaps.

I’m optimistic about Sam Blease. Admittedly, I can have a biased opinion toward players I rated in their draft year, but I think Blease was a victim Melbourne’s stagnant development processes. He was very good for Casey this year and deserved more opportunities. He probably didn’t suit the Roos game plan though. He cost next to nothing asset wise, nothing to lose.

As a whole, there wasn’t all that much the club could do about Christensen, so it is a positive to sure up the unreliable talls. God help the side if there is an injury to any inside midfielders though, the cupboard looks bare.

And who do you rate highly from the current batch of kids we are developing?

I was one of the few who was relatively excited by drafting Darcy Lang last year. Can play inside and outside, possesses good pace, is versatile and has good skills. I’m fairly certainly we’ll see a bit of him next season.

Jed Bews is someone I feel will eventually cement a position in the best 22 next year. I didn’t particularly rate him as a junior, but he has developed well and naturally gets in good defensive positions.

I love Linc McCarthy too, but let’s be honest, who doesn’t? I’m also expecting good things from Kolodjashnij and Jansen.

What do you think of the way Chris Scott and the staff are going about things?

I think it is difficult to fault the coaching staff. Considering the state of the list age wise and the fact that most recruitment avenues have been exhausted, the performances are respectable. I do find that some coaching decisions are stubbornly stuck with (eg James Kelly playing deep defence), but in reality the options are limited more often than not. I think Chris Scott is one of the more refreshing coaches to listen to. He is incredibly honest and more than willing to accept his mistakes.

Ok time to change pace, who do you rate as your top 3 all time favourite Cats players and why?

Jimmy Bartel has become my favorite of all time. I’ve made it no secret that I have a serious man love for the bloke. So much so that in my drunken haze the day after the 2011 Grand Final, I offered Jimmy $1000.00 at Lamby’s as a token of my gratitude. Thankfully, he very kindly and politely declined the offer haha.

Jimmy was playing in the first National Champs game I ever saw wearing a helmet. I immediately made a connection that day as I wore a helmet too back then. The 2001 draft was the first I’d taken a real keen interest in as Geelong had so many picks, plus I’d followed Junior to a couple of games that year. Naturally, I was pretty stoked the Cats picked Jimmy at 8 as I knew him and seen his dominant form over 4-5 games. The Jimmy love hovered for the next couple of years before becoming extreme in 2004. He had been dropped early in the season and after outstanding VFL form, he earned a spot back midseason against the Dogs. That day at Etihad showed me just how much he wanted his position in the side. My favorite particular moment came from a skied centre clearance that drifted towards the defensive 50 arc. Jimmy had started at the original stoppage, ran with the flight of the ball for about 30 metres and launched into oncoming traffic. He took the mark on his chest and even got some hang time. It was bloody epic. Unfortunately, Nick Riewoldt took that suicidal mark at the SCG the next day and Jimmy’s effort was quickly forgotten. It was the turning point of his career and he never looked back from that game. I was also lucky enough to get a four figure pay out from his Brownlow, which was a much appreciated bonus on top haha.

Garry Hocking is also a favorite and obviously my nickname originates from him. My hair was very similar to Buddha’s when I was young and I used to wear number 32 to Vickick. The nickname has solidly stuck ever since. He was a great player, dual sided, tough and never stopped trying. He deserved to be a Brownlow Medalist.

Growing up in the 90s, I think every Geelong supporter would have Senior in their top three favorite players. But that is too easy. As I stated earlier, Tom Hawkins has really given me satisfaction over the last few years. From watching Toma play for Melbourne Grammar and Metro, then sticking up for him through all those negative times. The 2011 Grand Final and 2012 Best & Fairest/All Australian results were fulfilling, not just for me but a few in our little footy group

What did you see in Hawk as a school kid playing footy?

He was a monster compared to the other kids and carried quite a bit of puppy fat, so it was no surprise to see him dominating. The positive thing was that he wasn’t just rag-dolling kids and getting the ball kicked on top of his head. He led to good areas and used his underrated leap to advantage by giving his opponents no chance. He played quite a bit in the ruck too and showed some great tap work skills, as well as moving around the ground nicely before completely blowing up. There was more to him than just being big, taking a strong grab and having a booming kick.

How do you enjoy the modern game compared to what it was when you were a young bloke?

I actually agree a lot with what Jason Dunstall has to say on this topic. There is an overreaction to the current state of the game. So there are a few more stoppages per game and the big tall forwards aren’t kicking as many goals. So what? The game has been evolving for decades and it will continue to do so into the future. There has been too much of a rush to tinker with rules and I occasionally fear the rules committee is just trying to justify itself. I struggle to find many obvious improvements to the game from the sub and interchange caps. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the on-field action over the last two years, it has certainly done enough to ease the continuing frustrations of the off-field circus.

Off field meaning the Essendon stuff or just everything from the MRP etc?

Yeah the Essendon stuff mainly. It just ended up hijacking all the footy shows and a lot of relevant news got missed. I can’t wait until it is all over to be honest. At least the media have moved on to a degree.

And what do you think of the job the media do currently, is it overkill or saturation of coverage or about right?

I think the media do a relatively good job. There is a hell of a lot of footy and assessment programs, but as a bit of a footy nut it doesn’t bother me. The only time I felt I have ever had footy overkill was at the peak of the Essendon drama last year, but thankfully the coverage settled this year. The in-game commentary should be a lot better than what it is, but the networks appear more interested in someone who can produce one-liners, as opposed to calling the match accurately.

How much footy do you watch these days?

Yeah I rarely miss a game. I missed a couple this year due to cricket trip and playing footy. Also missed Jimmy’s 250th due to that horrendously scheduled Thursdaynight game which coincided with my cricket grand final training. Prior to all that I attended more than 100 Victorian games consecutively from 2007-2013, on top of a few interstate trips. I’ve had to travel a bit, but it has been well worth the ride.

You mentioned the post 11 grand final celebration... which is your favourite flag and why?

Yeah, 2011 was pretty special. Jimmy Bartel winning the Norm Smith, Tom Hawkins announcing himself as a genuine presence with the rag-dolling of Ben Reid, Travis Varcoe having an enormous impact on the game and most importantly, securing that third premiership to justify the dynasty.

Obviously 2007 was brilliant too. I won tickets at the Federation Square live site that morning, so I was still a bit shocked to be there when the goals continued to flow. That day is a bit of a blur.

And what do you expect in 2015 and going forward?

I’m very confident that the club will make finals again, but there are weaknesses that concern me. We really couldn’t afford to lose another inside midfielder like Christensen. Geelong were ranked 18th for clearances in 2014 and as much as people continually say it is an overrated statistic, teams continue to kick goals from stoppages against us. The continual injuries to our ruckmen didn’t help, but I still can’t see a fast fix in this area. Caddy and Horlin-Smith will need to improve considerably again.

The forward line has been appropriately bolstered and should now be able to counter numerous injuries. Clark and Stanley are risky prospects, but at the very least should provide relief for Hawkins.

There still isn’t much back up for the KPDs, so hopefully the likes of Taylor, Rivers and Lonergan stay injury free as you don’t want to be throwing Kolodjashnij into the deep end too early. As I stated earlier, I expect Bews to make one of the small defender positions his own.

Can we contend? I’m not quite sure as yet, but there is enough talent on the list to suggest that the Cats will be competitive against most teams again.

And lastly if you could have 3 past or present Geelong footy club people for a beer and a bbq who would it be and why?

I’d invite Jimmy Bartel out of necessity.

The other two would have to be Bill McMaster and Stephen Wells. You rarely get to hear much from recruiters at the best of times. I’d have an endless list of questions starting from the recruitment of Brian Peake and Gary Ablett, to the more recent times of the draft. Even listening to Chris Pelchen over the last couple of weeks has been fascinating to me, especially the stories of setting up Port Adelaide from scratch. I would love to see Stephen Wells write a book at the end of his time at Geelong, there would be so many significant untold stories.

Thanks for your time mate

Beauty mate, I enjoyed it.

I also need to praise Budda 230

Everyone else has been done over a minimum of a week.... This one was crunched out in under 24 hours. So I appreciate him being so good with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back