Certified Legendary Thread Willo's Friday Inquisitions - Seasons 1 & 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi fellow Cats posters and opposition lurkers,

Being the off season and with a bit of a negative finish to the year I have decided to try and lighten up the place a bit and also help us all get to know one another better by interviewing fellow board members.
I have made a few requests and anyone that would like to be interviewed please feel free to contact my agent (PM me)

To kick things off we are starting with one of the boards most polarizing posters, and someone who also didn't want to go first... which naturally enough means he is going first.

I hope you enjoy learning more about your fellow cats fans as I have doing these....

My first guest is the one and only vinum coupe

Do you enjoy footy? You obviously have a love for the club but do you actually enjoy the game? and why if not?

I enjoy parts of it. I used to love everything about it.
In 2008 I would have watched 6 games a week. Now I'm lucky to watch 1 game other than Geelongs game.

I love the skills, and there are passages of play that are pure brilliance. In that aspect the game is better than it ever was.

I don't enjoy waiting for those skills to be shown. i.e. player gets tackled, ball spills, players jostle, ball moves slowly up the ground. Ball gets held up again. Umpire balls it up.

About 2 minutes later the ball finally gets out and someone like Motlop cruises with it and kicks a goal from the boundary. That's what I like. I don't like having to wait for the ball to get out. Consistently.

So much so that at the only game we went to this year, we considered leaving at 1/2 time. We left at 3/4 time.

What game was that out of interest?

You mention your kids on here a bit, and about teaching them about the game and the skills... with all that you have just said, what is the direction of your teaching... what are you trying to teach them about footy given that you would have seen the game very differently when you were growing up, hell probably when they were born even..

That was the Melbourne game. Not a great example to use
clear.png

Well with my daughter it's just kicking for her. She's actually picked up marking easily.
She kicks like a girl. I'm having trouble getting my head around it, she misses that short step before kicking. She's getting there.

With my son it's different. He's a good kick, and that has taken a while to teach. Kids just want to kick it as far as possible. I don't like that.
I try to teach him that he has to get the ball to a team mate in the best possible fashion. A drop punt is a lot easier to mark than a mongrel kick. And if it lands short it's most likely going to bounce straight.

And I'm trying to teach him about the bounce of the ball. So I'll roll a ball and ask him to yell out 'pop!' when he thinks the ball is going to jump up. I don't care if he doesn't get it, I want him reading it.

I'm teaching him to turn his body for contact. I don't care if they eliminate the bump. I'm going to teach him to protect himself. If that's not allowed, then he can go play soccer.

And finally, I'm trying to teach him something that I wasn't taught early, and that's movement when your team mate has the ball. He has to move so that his team mate sees him firstly, and he has to learn to move so that he can anticipate where the play is going so he learns to read it better.

As everyone gets fitter and fitter, and the ball moves faster, I think those that can't read the play at a high standard are no chance to play at a top level.

and what do your kids think of footy and are they Cats fans?

They are Cats fans. But my daughter still wants to change to Gold Coast because of Gazza. I won't let her.
But they very rarely watch footy. Maybe 5 times a year if that.

My son just loves playing it. He takes a footy to school every day. And more often than not he'll be found kicking on his own in our court every night. My daughter can be found playing mine craft :)

He'll become an accurate kick kicking on his own, when i was a kid we had a shed in our back paddock and I would spend hours using that as my goals from all different angles.. it focus's your accuracy... and I back myself as a good kick still (not as good without the repetition i used to have with it)

On the theme of kids still... what is your top highlight from when you were a kid Cats wise?

That's a difficult question.
I'm ancient you know.

We didn't have a lot of highlights when I was a kid.
My highlight was probably getting to go to every Geelong game. All finals, night games at Waverley, it didn't matter, we didn't miss.

Being there when Donahue kicked his 100th was another.

And probably the feeling around 80, 81 that we might actually be a chance of making a GF. The excitement of seeing my dad walk out the door when it was dark to go and camp at Kardinia park for finals tickets. The excitement that brought as I went to sleep.
I wasn't even thinking of a premiership, I wanted to see a GF. That was exciting, and it ended up being heartbreaking.

I wasn't even born in those years you mentioned :D

lol

So given how you feel about footy in this day and age, why does this place appeal or what do you get from it?

Bigfooty is just a bit of a habit these days.

I used to like future direction discussions a lot back in 05. And obviously discussing how well we were travelling in 2007.
I don't get a lot out of it now footy wise. There's a lot more angst in my opinion.
It's really difficult to have a discussion without someone getting their back up and turning it into an argument.

Actually, that's probably wrong. I do get a bit out of it when it comes to news.
I don't read every newspaper / footy site.
So it's a good place to get any relevant info about Geelong.

And I'm pretty sure you enjoy winding some people up

No I don't plan to do any of that.
It would actually be easy to plan it if someone wanted to.

I'm just a product of the environment in that regard.

I would have sworn you did it deliberately sometimes so that's interesting....

Deliberately and planned are 2 different things.
There are occasions where someone is going a bit off tap.
It's not hard to point out where they made a ridiculous comment previously as a bit of a jibe.

But I don't bother going hunting for 5 different quotes to make someone look stupid.
However, a certain poster called ***** a dud. Repeatably. That will be brought up a fair bit I think.

I might edit that last post with a few ****** so it doesn't start a s**t fight

See... now where's the fun in that? :)

Also I didn't say you planned it... just that some people you enjoy winding up

There are definitely people I don't bother winding up.
Partridge for example.
We are like ships in the night. There's stuff we don't agree on but both of us seem to just let it slide 98% of the time.

I don't know why that is.
Others...... well yeah there's some who are hard to resist.

2015 for the Cats, what do you expect?

I'm worried about 2015 on the basis of what we did in 2014.
And maybe even 2012, 2013.

Bit by bit we've slowed on our ability to smash a team.
I don't know if that's coaching, players, game style, or all of them.

I'd say it's a combination of everything, plus the way the league is set up you just aren't meant to stay up forever.... that said do you think we are positioning ourselves well for the future, or are we a bit all over the shop potentially too busy trying to plug holes

I think the club has done the best it could in regards to player turn over.Structurally we look ok going forward after this weeks trades. If those players play well.I just think there are a bunch of teams ready to zoom straight past us.GC and GWS are obvious. North I am not sure about. Crazy bossy trading. Collingwood are a slow burn. They have a stack of young talent. I think we can hang in there, I just don't see us being a threat in the near future. i.e. the next 5 years.Tell you what, our next premiership coach won't be Scott.

You've asked these questions too early in the day. I'm on my first wine, about to loosen up :)

Haha I'll hold fire for a few hours then should I?

No. I'm best after a light lubrication.

OK I'm going to throw some names at you and I want you to reply with your first thought, not just a word answer but a brief thought

Budha Hocking

Hard arse. Bloody ugly bugger. He really annoyed me when he started kicking left foot when his right was the perfect option. Almost like he was practising kicking left foot during a game. But he was our engine.I'm sure he had horrible games, but I can't remember any

Taking a lead from your signature....

Leigh Colbert

Just incredibly flexible. He was a swing man before they were important.He was a very considered kick. If you want to see someone take time to make sure the ball drop was accurate he is the man. And bloody courageous. I honestly thought he'd be rated in the top 5 in the league before he did his knee. I think it was a knee.....

Yeah it was his knee right before the 99 season started

Jackson Thurlow

Ha ha.Gee it's a bit early for Thurlow.I just think he looks like he will back himself.And I think he'll jump at the ball a lot at AFL level.At VFL level I've seen him run forward of the ball, hit the goal square, do a 180 and run and jump at the ball. He just seems to have the confidence in his natural ability that I saw in Colbert.I think he will be a very calm footballer.

Ok now to wind it up onto one of my favorite topics for bashing some opposition

Your take on the Essendon dramas, why did it happen, how did it happen and what should happen from here?

Who's to know what happened.I'm tipping too many people just trusted other people without ensuring everything was ok.Personally, let them burn.Players need to get infractions that are not back dated.Dank needs to go on the register.Hird needs to be sacked.And everyone will then give Essendon a break. "They took their punishment, the players are unlucky as they didn't know what they took, let's move on"But in a perfect world, the players get off on a technicality. Hird stays, the team fails and Hird gets sacked in 3 years, the players are viewed as uncharged drug cheats, and the club remains stained forever.

One last question mate, what do you think of our trading in and out this year? Can you see what the club are doing or are you baffled?

I'm a bit confused by it.The Clark trade I get. They were going to delist Brown, Vardy is injured a fair bit, and Walker might not be up to it.Stanley... I reckon they only got him because they failed to get a KPB. He might really help us in the ruck. But I'm still worried about the backline.And then there's the delistings ..... fair enough if they thought all three weren't up to it and were clogging the list.But getting rid of them to open up picks 60 and 73 is confusing.That might get answered in a week when the delisted free agents are available.If they go to the draft with 73 then I'll be baffled.

and if we pick up Blease as has been mentioned?

I actually liked Blease a few years ago.
I didn't see him at all this year. I was of the opinion that we were going to target 2 high half forwards in the draft this year.

It's something that we are lacking. No Menzel, Burbury gone, SJ and Bartel getting older.

So he might be 1 of those.
He's worth a shot at 73 I would have thought.

Thanks for the time mate, much appreciated

Great poster to start with.
The one that helped me get addicted to this stuff in 2008.
knows about his footy and has good opinions, upsets a few but I enjoyed picking his brain for a bit that's for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I actually enjoyed about it was the method of questioning.
I expect everyone will be asked a few different questions.

It started really quickly after me saying yes and I thought the questions rolled pretty well.
Willo might have missed his calling.

Just disappointed he never asked how good I was at footy. lol.

Meto would have hated me to give a clue.

What I actually enjoyed about it was the method of questioning.
I expect everyone will be asked a few different questions.

It started really quickly after me saying yes and I thought the questions rolled pretty well.
Willo might have missed his calling.

Nice work VC & Willo_ good to see some creativity around here. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Good stuff Willo_ :thumbsu:

vinum came across a little rough around the edges at first, but I've definitely come around and rate him as one of the best on the board nowadays:)

It was long enough without having a few pages of that mate

:D

So vc's secret identity has been revealed

hqdefault.jpg

Nah can't be,he can't out run the Mods :D

Even the Coyote caught the Road Runner once. ;)

(But he'd shrunk himself down somehow, so when he did catch it, he couldn't do anything with it).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back