Wimbledon 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

The golden run of Nick Kyrgios at Wimbledon has come to an end at the hands of monster serving Canadian Milos Raonic, 6-7, 6-2, 6-4, 7-6. Raonic served 39 aces and will meet Roger Federer in the semi finals.

But don't worry Nick, the 2am yiros will still be eaten to honour your Wimbledon effort. :D

Coming up against three seeds in a row and defeating two of them, one of them the world number 1 is some kind of an achievement. And Raonic must have been right on with his serve as he won the last 36 service points. That is the equivalent of 9 games, Nick wouldn't have been given a sniff of a break. And if he'd got through he would have been facing his 4th seed in a row, Roger Federer.

Its almost like Raonic looked at Kyrgios' stats from the Nadal match and said "No you don't kid".

Kyrgios v Nadal.
37 aces
133 MPH - Fastest serve
120 MPH - Average 1st serve
99 MPH - Average 2nd serve
70 Winners (to 44)

Raonic vs Kyrgios
39 aces
134 MPH - Fastest serve
121 MPH - Average 1st serve
107 MPH - Average 2nd serve
73 Winers (to 34)

Neither were anywhere near the record for aces in a match, held by John Isner in a 2010 Wimbledon 1st round match. His opponent, Nicholas Mahut, holds second place with 103 aces in the same match. The match took 11 hours 5 minutes and 183 games, 138 of which were in the final set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isner–Mahut_match_at_the_2010_Wimbledon_Championships

Goran Ivanisevic holds the record for aces in the tournament, 212 in his 2001 win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_(tennis)

that was an amazing match, they came back from over night with scores tied at 59 all, now youd think they would be tired and the standard dropping away but it wasnt, both hitting amazing winners, such a high standard right until the end. the photo clearly shows who won and who lost

_48167670_mahutisnerscoreboard.jpg

that was an amazing match, they came back from over night with scores tied at 59 all, now youd think they would be tired and the standard dropping away but it wasnt, both hitting amazing winners, such a high standard right until the end. the photo clearly shows who won and who lost

_48167670_mahutisnerscoreboard.jpg

There should have been a special medal struck for any spectator who watched the whole match.

Nearly yet another big seed was on his way out. Djokovic 2 sets to 1 and 3-6 down in the 4th set tie-break but Djokovic won two on his serve and then Dimitrov lost his nerve on his serve and served a double and single fault and lost both points. Dimitrov saved the match point to serve again at 8-7 but lost the first point he served to lose the match.

serena last night... this is why you dont play tennis after going on a 2 day bender.....

Wow, if I was in the crowd I wouldn't have yelled out "hang in there Serena" it would have been more like "give me my money back"

Martina Navratilova was not convinced by the virus excuse. She stopped short of giving her opinion but she left it open to consider that it might have been self-inflicted. And with the wild variation in the serves, 4 faults into the middle of the net followed by 4 over the service line, also the fact that when the ball was rolled to Serena she would sometimes miss it, that explanation has more weight than that she was ill. If she had a virus I am sure she would have forfeited before the match.

Martina Navratilova was not convinced by the virus excuse. She stopped short of giving her opinion but she left it open to consider that it might have been self-inflicted. And with the wild variation in the serves, 4 faults into the middle of the net followed by 4 over the service line, also the fact that when the ball was rolled to Serena she would sometimes miss it, that explanation has more weight than that she was ill. If she had a virus I am sure she would have forfeited before the match.

she went 'missing' for two days, her boyfriend / coach couldnt find her then she rocks up like this. clearly drunk, on drugs or both. rock and roll serena.....

she went 'missing' for two days, her boyfriend / coach couldnt find her then she rocks up like this. clearly drunk, on drugs or both. rock and roll serena.....
You're braver than me. I was trying to tiptoe around the facts. What odds any criticism is described as sexist or racist?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back