Wimmera Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously not too many Wimmera League fans use this site.
Anyway, Dimmy beat the Diggers to force their way into the Grand Final against Horsham.
Good luck to them, though. They're gunna need it.
And Horsham Diggers upset Stawell in the Twos. Smashed them in actual fact. Won by 63 points.

real shame to see Dimmy get rolled, would have been a nice way to end the 20 year premiership drought by beating those pr*cks from Horsham.

Someone please beat them next year so they don't equal the Rats Wimmera.F.L record of 4 consecutive flags.

Will Brad Miller stay with United, or play down in Geelong?

Cameo King said:
real shame to see Dimmy get rolled, would have been a nice way to end the 20 year premiership drought by beating those pr*cks from Horsham.

Someone please beat them next year so they don't equal the Rats Wimmera.F.L record of 4 consecutive flags.

Will Brad Miller stay with United, or play down in Geelong?

Miller has indicated he will remain in Geelong next season. He has been invited to do some pre-season training with Geelong but is clearly not of that standard. Probable St. Marys recruit for 2006.

Horsham united will miss Brad Miller, they wont; be as strong next year as they were this year Warrack Eagles should have a decent side with Ex North Ballarat Marc Greig, who Quite the North Ballarat due to them religning with the Kangaroos. hge said it was a big mistake for north ballarat , this religning with vfl clubs is a joke, afl should have kept the Reserves sides the old VFL was good at least you had the Under 19;s reserves to watch before the Seniors. its so boring now when ya get their early with nothing to watch Shame on You AFL Thansk alot

How's Ararat looking for 2006? I see they struggled this year which suprised me seeing as they're a reasonably big town in the league.

TuskenRaider said:
How's Ararat looking for 2006? I see they struggled this year which suprised me seeing as they're a reasonably big town in the league.

They will be an improved outfit. Former premiership players Brad 'Spacey' Keilar and Mick Fratin are returning to the fold next season. Both are KPP forwards which was a major problem for the club in 2005.
After four GF's in a row between 1999 and 2002 the club has bottomed out during the last two years winning only five games as the talented and experienced players have moved to other clubs and leagues or retirement.
Last season the average age of the side on a weekly basis was between 18 and 19 which is too young to be competitive in a league like the Wimmera.
The return of a few players and the potential recruiting of a few more will see the Rats climb from the cellar to be a contender for a the last place in the five come season's end, IMO.
Senior coach David Law has been extremely active on the recruiting front having arranged meetings with any player indicating even the slightest interest in playing with Ararat. The overwhelming majority of the current players have signed to play for the club again in 2006 and the general feeling around the club is positive.

dont forget neighbouring clubs to ararat take em eg the other Ararat side in LPFL it take them a few years to rebuild up again won;t happen over night Ararat were lucky to win any games this year they only won i think 2 for the whole year,
before we merged with warracknabeal end of 2000 season, in 1997 Brim finished winless in the mallee, then in 1998 won about 3, then in 1999 made the finals then 2000 Made the Grand final only fell shot of Beulah by 14 pts, in shocking wet windy conditions. so 4 years to make the grand final i think United will struggle this year

Hopefully Stewart pulls through this OK. I may not like it when he's racking up kicks against my team loose across the half back line but that doesn't mean I wish the bloke ill health.

Article from Wimmera Mail-Times of Monday November 7.

Devlin faces biggest test
Dean Lawson
Tuesday, 8 November 2005

ONE of Wimmera football's most decorated players Stewart Devlin, 33, has approached a fight with a life-threatening illness with trademark energy and enthusiasm.
Devlin, a gifted benchmark regional sporting leader, is confident he can beat a cancer that appeared as a lump under his right arm about 12 months ago.

He said from Melbourne where he works as a policeman that tests had shown the cancer was isolated and, despite the prospect of radiation therapy, hoped to continue playing football.

"It's a pretty good prognosis and all pretty positive," he said.

Surgery and biopsy on the golf-ball-size lump at the end of the football season in September revealed he had Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer that attacks the body's lymphatic system.

"It was a bit of a shock when I was first told but I don't feel crook, I'm quite okay," he said.

"At this stage they can treat it quite effectively with radiation and there's a high cure rate, particularly in my situation."

Treatment of Hodgkin's disease is usually successful and high-profile personalities such as singer-songwriter Delta Goodrem and cricket commentator Simon O'Donnell are among those who have beaten the cancer.

Devlin, Wimmera Football League Toohey Medallist, grand final coach, many-time league representative and AFL draftee, said he had initially been blase about the lump.

"To be honest I was probably a bit slack. I noticed it about 12 months ago. It had swollen up and become noticeable but there was no pain. I just kept an eye on it but didn't do anything," he said.

"My mum and my sister are both nurses and I asked them one day what they thought and their immediate comment was to get it checked out straight away.

"At first the thought was that it was a harmless lypoma or fatty tumour but the biopsy showed it was lymphoma.

"But, I suppose if you're going to get a type of cancer, it's the one you want to get," he said.

Devlin lives at Point Cook with his wife Kathleen and has a toddler son, 2, and the couple is expecting another baby in December.

"It was a bit of a shock for me when I was first told but I think it was bigger for Kathleen. But you can't afford to get too worried about it. You just have to do what you have to do. Worry doesn't change anything," he said.

Devlin said he was unsure where he would be playing football next year but admitted it would be hard to leave Horsham Saints.

"The club has copped a bit of a caning of late but I'll have to play it by ear. And it depends on how it pans out with work.

"I have to have treatment every day for a month then they will leave me a bit to reassess how things are going. The radiation is in an isolated area and, fingers crossed, there should be few slight side effects."

Indeed. Best wishes to Stewie Devlin, one of the finest WFL players in recent times. There is a lot of ordinary people at Coughlin Park (losing all those grand finals - ha ha), but Stewie is one of the rare good uns. All the best.

The Rats will be well in contention in 2006. Spacey and Frato will be the best double act forward combo in the league, bar none. Throw in Dale Bligh ad Paul McLoughlin on the ball, the development of Dave Law's "Baby Rats" and a few more signatures, and I'm tipping it will be the Ararat.F.C themselves who stop Horsham from equalling their 4 in a row record.

Alexandra Oval will be a happy place in 2005.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stawell Warriors have looked within club ranks to appoint the successor to Jamie Solyom as coach for the upcoming season.

Article from the Stawell Times-News of Friday, November 11.

Power to coach Warriors
Tim O'Connor
Friday, 11 November 2005

Gun onballer Dale Power has been given the nod as the new Stawell Warriors Football Club senior coach for season 2006.
Power, who has been assistant coach for three of the past four seasons, was announced as the new coach at a meeting on Tuesday night, taking over from last season's coach Jamie Solyom.

Club president Rob Nicholson was thrilled to make the announcement.

Nicholson said while it was no secret that the club endeavoured to appoint a coach from outside its own ranks, there had been some very good applicants from within the club.

After three years of assistant coaching duties, Power said taking on the coaching role was the next logical step forward.

"It's been a great club to me so it's an opportunity for me to give something good back to the club basically," Power said.

"It's the next logical step after being an assistant."

Having never coached before, apart from some school teams, Power said it had never really been a goal of his to take up coaching.

"It's been something that's grown into an idea and really it depends on the needs of the club," he said.

"I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't think the club needed it."

Power said he was delighted that the club attempted to get some outside influence, but was happy to take over the role when asked.

When asked of his feeling about taking over the tough role, Power said he felt a sense of apprehension.

"You just want to do everything right, getting things wrong is a bad way to start."

Assisted by Daniel Thomas and Scott Nicholson, the new panel will now get together and `touch base' with their playing group in the next two weeks.

Stawell Warriors have also appointed Paul Fudge as reserves coach for the new season.

- Club president Rob Nicholson and vice-president Tony Dark met with David Coad from Football Victoria yesterday to discuss the possibility of an AFL practice match being played at Central Park, possibly in 2007.

Representatives from the Northern Grampians Shire Council, Parks and Gardens Superintendant John Hunt and Wimmera Region Football Development Manager Geoff Burdett were also in attendance.

"We have been trying to push for this for about three or four years I suppose. It started with the Rebels matches," Dark said.

He said it would be fantastic for the club to land such a coup as it would benefit the whole community.

"If you can get between five to ten thousand people there on a Saturday or Sunday, that's a big boost to the economy," he said

"It would benefit a lot of organisations."

Dark took Coad through the club's facilities, which all appear adequate with the major concern surrounding the oval's width and the timing to co-incide with the Stawell Easter Gift.

Grimmett said:
Stawell Warriors have looked within club ranks to appoint the successor to Jamie Solyom as coach for the upcoming season.

Gun onballer Dale Power has been given the nod as the new Stawell Warriors Football Club senior coach for season 2006.
Power, who has been assistant coach for three of the past four seasons, was announced as the new coach at a meeting on Tuesday night, taking over from last season's coach Jamie Solyom.

Best of luck to young ''Bobby'' and to ''Tombstone'' Thomas in his assistant's role. Could young Danny being the next coach?
Say, is Solyom still playing there next year?

Grandale said:
Best of luck to young ''Bobby'' and to ''Tombstone'' Thomas in his assistant's role. Could young Danny being the next coach?

I don't know of Solly's status in 2006. I believe an off-field indiscretion may have led to termination of his coaching position but I'm unaware of whether he is a required, read wanted, player for Stawell in '06.
I think some of the minor league clubs in the area are keen on getting him. He is certainly a gun forward when fit and on-song. Imposing footballer.

Grimmett said:
I don't know of Solly's status in 2006. I believe an off-field indiscretion may have led to termination of his coaching position but I'm unaware of whether he is a required, read wanted, player for Stawell in '06.
I think some of the minor league clubs in the area are keen on getting him. He is certainly a gun forward when fit and on-song. Imposing footballer.

You prepared to expand a little bit on the off-field indiscretion? Whether it was fight, fiscal or fornication?

Fight is the whisper from over the Great Divide. May have involved a younger player from the Warriors but I'm not fully up to speed with the whispers on that. I'll chat to a mate who lives in Stawell and get the story straightened out for ya.

No word on any fiscal mishaps during his time in the Wimmera and he married a Stawell bird earlier this year so I guess his fornicating is just fine!

Bunfight looming between the major and minor leagues in the Wimmera region. Currently at junior level the Wimmera league is Under 17 and Under 14 while the Horsham District League is Under 16 and Under 13. Mail is that the HDFL is set to approve a move to U/17 and U/14 at their forthcoming AGM. It will need approval from the VCFL region which should lead to some interesting discussions. Perhaps the peace of the past few years between the major and minor shows centred around Horsham is about to be shattered.

if that happens, the Only league to keep with the under 13's and under 16;s format will be The Mallee football League can't see them changing , not sure what the leagues future will be in years to come weather they stay as is or amalgamate again the only league would be is North Central, they are in the Interleague ,

The Horsham District Football League held their AGM last night at which the proposal to alter their junior grades from the existing U/13 and U/16 to U/14 and U/17 was tabled. Despite being supported by a majority of 6-4 the motion did not get approved as a change to the league structure such as that requires at least a 75% approval, or in reality an 8-2 vote at least.
So the league will remain as is with the Wimmera FL having their junior football age grades offset at U/14 and U/17. This issue will arise again in 12 months as it is discussed ad nauseum by the HDFL who feel they lose junior players to the major league clubs due to having different age brackets.
The WFL clubs have indicated they are not overly concerned about the issue and feel confident that regardless of HDFL age brackets they will always be able to maintain healthy numbers in their junior football.

i should ask our umpire association President if he know if the will or won't i have heard it being talked about at our meetings don;t think many are in favour of it i think it will always get knocked back, i know Wimmera football league use to have Under 13,16 in the early 80's as i got old records from games when we had the by in the then southern mallee . kids in the under 16's use to play 1 year in warracknabeal to get that extra year it was very handy Brim and warracknabeal are 20ks appart and were in differnt leagues so it was handy then after that year they come back .
half our senior players lived in Warracknabeal, one player hated warracknabeal so played all his footy at brim, ,Brim & Warracknabeal Hated each other we use to nick alot of their players and vice versa . lucky we wern't playing in the same competition

cheers

Grandale said:

Doesn't look as if the coaching changes at Stawell have affected Bobby and Solly's friendship. Wouldn't fancy being the umpire who makes a dodgy line call against Sol.

Stawell Times-News

Power and Solyom win doubles
Tuesday, 22 November 2005

Leading tennis talent Dale Power and his partner Jamie Solyom have been crowned the new Stawell Tennis Club A grade doubles champions.
Power and Solyom won the doubles title on Saturday.

In a tough competition, Power and Solyom proved the best on the day, finishing ahead of runners up duo Shane and Joel Freeland.

Andyt30 said:
Dimboola made the Grand final but lost it by in accuate Kicking in 2nd quarter 1 goal 8

Rumour spreading throughout the Wimmera League is that despite an announcement straight after the season that the Darwin recruits would all be returning to Dimboola in 2006 things are not actually confirmed yet. Concerns emanating from the Dimmy area suggest that perhaps the star recruits would like a payrise before returning and that the club is none too happy at the prospect of slipping back down the ladder as quickly as they rose up it and are negotiating.

Grimmett said:
Doesn't look as if the coaching changes at Stawell have affected Bobby and Solly's friendship. Wouldn't fancy being the umpire who makes a dodgy line call against Sol.

Stawell Times-News

Power and Solyom win doubles
Tuesday, 22 November 2005

Leading tennis talent Dale Power and his partner Jamie Solyom have been crowned the new Stawell Tennis Club A grade doubles champions.
Power and Solyom won the doubles title on Saturday.

In a tough competition, Power and Solyom proved the best on the day, finishing ahead of runners up duo Shane and Joel Freeland.

There's a couple of footballers amongst those two tennis players!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back