Science/Environment Wind farms

Remove this Banner Ad

Kirks

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Buddy you should be scared of yourself. You have a warped political view of the world that must seriously hinder your day to day life. I'm sorry if I've been rude but to be honest I'm a bit over arguing about something that is demonstrably happening, the only question is how much is caused by us.

two fifths of * all

science is settled

greatest scam of all time and you have fallen for it hook line and sinker!

But we must take drastic action today before we end the planet..............

Last edited:

smokingjacket

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
From models it seems that Temperature is the driving force for global CO2 levels before creating a feedback loop on itself. What creates the initial rise in temperature in the first place?

That's an oversimplification. I'll have a chat tomorrow I'm going to bed.

Kirks

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
http://news.investors.com/ibd-edito...-tool-to-destroy-capitalism.htm#ixzz3dKBfyW6q

"
Economic Systems: The alarmists keep telling us their concern about global warming is all about man's stewardship of the environment. But we know that's not true. A United Nations official has now confirmed this.

At a news conference last week in Brussels, Christiana Figueres, executive secretary of U.N.'s Framework Convention on Climate Change, admitted that the goal of environmental activists is not to save the world from ecological calamity but to destroy capitalism.

"This is the first time in the history of mankind that we are setting ourselves the task of intentionally, within a defined period of time, to change the economic development model that has been reigning for at least 150 years, since the Industrial Revolution," she said.

Referring to a new international treaty environmentalists hope will be adopted at the Paris climate change conference later this year, she added: "This is probably the most difficult task we have ever given ourselves, which is to intentionally transform the economic development model for the first time in human history."

The only economic model in the last 150 years that has ever worked at all is capitalism. The evidence is prima facie: From a feudal order that lasted a thousand years, produced zero growth and kept workdays long and lifespans short, the countries that have embraced free-market capitalism have enjoyed a system in which output has increased 70-fold, work days have been halved and lifespans doubled.

Figueres is perhaps the perfect person for the job of transforming "the economic development model" because she's really never seen it work. "If you look at Ms. Figueres' Wikipedia page," notes Cato economist Dan Mitchell: Making the world look at their right hand while they choke developed economies with their left."

And you have fallen for it hook line and sinker.

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's Battersea Power Station. A grade-II listed Art Deco masterpiece. The pride of South London.
It doesn't operate any more, hasn't for 40 years. Is your point that coal power plants are beautiful when they don't work? That's what greenies think!

If renewable energy is such a great investment, where are the open cheque books?

I know your suspended but to answer your question:

Our cheque book is open and have invested significantly in wave and geothermal. Both are a long way off from being commercial in Oz but in my mind, wave is the most promising out of all the 'developing" renewables despite starting a long way back.

I'm not a fan of wind but I can see this forming 10-25% of the energy mix long term. Roof top solar has major draw backs but give it 3-5 years with the roll out of batteries and this will improve greatly.

But in short, our cheque book is open.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know your suspended but to answer your question:

Our cheque book is open and have invested significantly in wave and geothermal. Both are a long way off from being commercial in Oz but in my mind, wave is the most promising out of all the 'developing" renewables despite starting a long way back.

I'm not a fan of wind but I can see this forming 10-25% of the energy mix long term. Roof top solar has major draw backs but give it 3-5 years with the roll out of batteries and this will improve greatly.

But in short, our cheque book is open.
I would love to get involved in a geothermal plant but don't have the experience or knowledge needed. But I think Australia needs to go nuclear as it is the safest, cleanest energy source that could provide 100% of Australias energy needs. Sunlight/wind farms etc all rely on external factors and at most could only provide 15% max of energy needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not a warmonger

All Australian
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
71edda07-fb6e-498e-a522-979b02edd244-620x456.png

I would love to get involved in a geothermal plant but don't have the experience or knowledge needed. But I think Australia needs to go nuclear as it is the safest, cleanest energy source that could provide 100% of Australias energy needs. Sunlight/wind farms etc all rely on external factors and at most could only provide 15% max of energy needs.

I struggle to see how geothermal can work in Oz but OS it has potential. I agree on your comment re nuclear; it is the only logical choice in the medium term.

awaremind

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wind power and solar could potentially be stored through kinetic or potential energy means of storage, by this I mean raised weights or springs, and reconverted to electricity as it was drawn on in times of no wind or Sun. This would mean that these renewable energy forms alone could create all energy that was necessary.

Just when I think the government couldn't make a more stupid, dishonest and wasteful proposal, they do so.

A commisioner for windfarms, and the sabotage of the renewables industry is just about the worst policy I have seen.
And yet again we are left to ask the question of this government; stupid, or corrupt?

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
All up in Jock's icecream
AFL Club
West Coast
And yet again we are left to ask the question of this government; stupid, or corrupt?
Stupidly corrupt.

This is to appease the fossil feul lobby.

I mean coal is the most harmful source of energy generation.

It has numerous well documented health and env impacts.

But wind energy, which has no proven negative effects of health despite endless inquiries is labeled harmful, ugly and crueled by regulation..

Qsaint

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 6, 2004
Brisvegas
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wind power and solar could potentially be stored through kinetic or potential energy means of storage, by this I mean raised weights or springs, and reconverted to electricity as it was drawn on in times of no wind or Sun. This would mean that these renewable energy forms alone could create all energy that was necessary.
At what cost? Solar salt storage has been an utter failure as well. The only thing that has worked is pumping water back into hydros they do it at the snowy but don't advertise it because the greenies will have a fit about water flows and it uses coal off peak to power it

Coal will continue to have value as an export commodity for us, but increasingly the future is one of renewable energy. A right balance needs to be struck between supporting existing industry, while also supporting the development of new ones, and at the moment in this country we aren't even close to that balance. Also, if we look at the coal price, this government cannot tell us that it believes in the free market, if it did it wouldn't be putting all it's eggs in that particular basket. The argument against coal is evolving from an ideological one, to an economic one.

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
All up in Jock's icecream
AFL Club
West Coast
At what cost? Solar salt storage has been an utter failure as well. The only thing that has worked is pumping water back into hydros they do it at the snowy but don't advertise it because the greenies will have a fit about water flows and it uses coal off peak to power it
How has liquid salt storage been a failure?

It is a promising technology yet to be widely used.

Qsaint

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 6, 2004
Brisvegas
AFL Club
St Kilda
Stupidly corrupt.

This is to appease the fossil feul lobby.

I mean coal is the most harmful source of energy generation.

It has numerous well documented health and env impacts.

But wind energy, which has no proven negative effects of health despite endless inquiries is labeled harmful, ugly and crueled by regulation..
Wind farms are totally uneconomic unless paired with a compensating generation source that why not one coal generator has been turned off in Victoria and Andrews is set to release 4 more addition coal exploration licenses

Remove this Banner Ad

Back