Science/Environment Wind farms

Remove this Banner Ad

If they are replacing coal powered power stations then we'll be saving water.

As for how much needed for Australia, how much land area do you think we need to put solar panels and wind farms to feed Australia?

How about some of the following locations
SA - Port Pirie
Vic - Moe/La Trobe Valley (direct replacement of coal stations there)
NSW - Hunter Valley (place is already scared with mines), Goulburn region
ACT - Holbrook/Tarniet (would be able to service the Riverina region) towns along the old Hume Hwy route now just about dead.
Qld - Beaudesert - service SE Qld.
WA - Anywhere north of Joondalup would be ok as nothing there.
less water that solar/wind? We are talking about de-centralised power.

less water that solar/wind? We are talking about de-centralised power.
But is decentralised power really the way to solve all the problems. What about undergrounding existing high voltage lines? The cost can be offset by the sale of land currently reserved for the lines, which run through valuable real estate in major cities and the health benefits that exist from the massive reduction in magnetic fields that exist from overhead high voltage wires.

I would like to see a higher use of solar, particularly in remote regional areas that for the large part actually get more direct sunlight than metro area where we have seen the massive increase in domestic solar usage. Increased solar production efficiency could also see an increase in large scale solar production near some major urban centres. Perth is the best example of where this can occur due to low grade farming land being so close to the greater Perth region. There are a number of similar examples close to some major regional towns as well.

Overall we just aren't willing to invest as a country in this, which is a real shame. I only have to think of the massive wastage in a number of government programs and shake my head and wonder why that wasn't invested in upgrading electrical infrastructure (which is needed anyway) and in larger trials of solar production in remote towns like Broken Hill, Alice Springs, far north Qld and NW WA.

Business case shithouse. Plenty of jobs in renewables and no hazardous waste. You want to use this stuff for your own benifit and s**t in someone elses backyard?? you havent addressed the time frames issue and we didnt even get onto quantites cooling water needed. How many needed for Australia did you say? Ohh ... you didnt
Coal plants put out radiation into the atmosphere without anyone getting upset about it.

More radiation standing at the gate of a coal plant than a nuclear plant too.

So at least it is controlled.

Coal plants put out radiation into the atmosphere without anyone getting upset about it.

More radiation standing at the gate of a coal plant than a nuclear plant too.

So at least it is controlled.
radiation is so well behaved it stops at the gate

radiation is so well behaved it stops at the gate
The benefit for things like coal over nuclear is that the negative side is not located in a tube that can be pointed at and called bad.

Coal plant with it's radiation output captured and presented in a barrel will change lots of minds about coal fired power.

The benefit for things like coal over nuclear is that the negative side is not located in a tube that can be pointed at and called bad.

Coal plant with it's radiation output captured and presented in a barrel will change lots of minds about coal fired power.
how about those airborne particulates and how can we forget to mention greenhouse gases?

Business case shithouse. Plenty of jobs in renewables and no hazardous waste. You want to use this stuff for your own benifit and s**t in someone elses backyard?? you havent addressed the time frames issue and we didnt even get onto quantites cooling water needed. How many needed for Australia did you say? Ohh ... you didnt
I am not a fan of nuclear energy. However, I was of the understanding that the modern nuclear power plants are very safe and you don't need large quantities of water for cooling. There is still the problem of hazardous nuclear waste though!

I am not a fan of nuclear energy. However, I was of the understanding that the modern nuclear power plants are very safe and you don't need large quantities of water for cooling. There is still the problem of hazardous nuclear waste though!
Who is putting their private money into this 'winner'?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hydro. All you need is a strong rliable current or a head of water

You dont neccesarily need a dam, and existing dams could be improved without too much environmental damage

Great isn't it. I hate false economies!
Then you are against the WA & QLD government subsidies of the non-renewable energy sector as much as medusala is?

If our resident #londonpeasent is anything to go by?

Then surely you must hate coal fired power.

Mining is driven by government investment in ports, rail and mining, likewise tax breaks for fuel and subsidies for suppliers in the states.
I agree. No subsidies and lower taxes so the infrastructure is paid for by the mining companies. Sounds like a normal way to operate in a free market!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back