Wines v Macrae

Who is the better player currently?

• Macrae

Votes: 151 64.0%
  • Wines

Votes: 85 36.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wines plays the kind of footy you need in finals.

This has pretty much been done already:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/j-macrae-v-s-mayes-v-o-wines.1058137/

Wines IMO as the elite contested midfielders are harder to come by than the classy outside mids, but I can certainly understand why Dogs fans would be thrilled with Macrae.

Also I think the fact that there are polls on: Wines v Macrae; Macrae v Mayes v Wines; Mayes v Wines ; Vlastuin v Wines v Whitfield; Wines v Crouch; Stringer v Wines; and Viney v Wines; shows that Wines is already held as a bit of a benchmark for the best of the new mids.

Wines IMO as the elite contested midfielders are harder to come by than the classy outside mids, but I can certainly understand why Dogs fans would be thrilled with Macrae.

Also I think the fact that there are polls on: Wines v Macrae; Macrae v Mayes v Wines; Mayes v Wines ; Vlastuin v Wines v Whitfield; Wines v Crouch; Stringer v Wines; and Viney v Wines; shows that Wines is already held as a bit of a benchmark for the best of the new mids.

Ignoring the fact that over half the time those threads are made by Port supporters.

O'Meara is still the pick of the bunch and bench mark imo.

Ignoring the fact that over half the time those threads are made by Port supporters.

O'Meara is still the pick of the bunch and bench mark imo.

Lol, actually 1 of those 8 threads is made by a Port supporter.
I'm a big fan of O'meara, but he does get talked up a little more because he is the poster boy of the shiny new franchise.
Looking at the stats says Wines is the benchmark at the moment: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=14&pid1=3801&tid2=24&pid2=3632&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S
Will that continue in the future? Who knows, but I'm guessing Wines will be right up there with the best of him throughout his career.

Not close don't mind Macrae at all but Ollie is a top three at Port put them both on the trade table and Ollie gets anyones first rounder.

Not close don't mind Macrae at all but Ollie is a top three at Port put them both on the trade table and Ollie gets anyones first rounder.

You would hope so given he was a first rounder.

Closer than people are saying Macrae is an absolute jet who works on gut running and hitting targets. Can see him ending up being the better player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close, not so much last year but very close this year. Wines, not too hard a call given what he's provided Port with in his first 38 games.

Macrae's been fantastic for us this year, though, and he still has so far to go. I'd be more inclined to look at the pair in 4-5 years time. I won't say that Macrae has the potential to be the better player, because it's not as if Wines has hit his ceiling just for being more consistent at this point.

Given the chance to re-do the 2012 draft, I'd still take Macrae, because he's exactly what we need and fits the plan we've got for the next 4-5 years moreso than Wines, but I just wish we had 3 picks instead of 2 so we could've gotten Ollie as well. I know, I know, I'm being greedy.

Wines IMO as the elite contested midfielders are harder to come by than the classy outside mids
No.
No.

I think Macrae has a higher ceiling, Wines is a beast but Macrae isn't exactly a soft outside runner. At 191cm and already putting on a fair bit of weight with more to come, he is going to end up quite a physical beast, with his inside work great. But on the outside is where he shines with great skills and his ridiculous ability to move through traffic. There is honestly nothing better than watching him just absolutely rip people with his spins and side steps, he will be a special player.

Wouldn't mind slotting Wines into the midfield either though :p

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/in...-his-second-year/story-fnelctok-1226976961271
PORT Adelaide Raging Bull Ollie Wines is enjoying one of the greatest seasons ever by a second-year player.
Far from being hit by the second-year blues after his standout debut season when he finished third in the prestigious AFL Rising Star Award, Wines has taken his game to a completely new level.
The 19-year-old nicknamed Quad-zilla by his teammates because of his powerful legs, sits just below long-time recognised stars Chris Judd, Nick Dal Santo and Nathan Fyfe in the best second seasons — judged by Champion Data rankings points — produced by players since 1999.
More......
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/in...-his-second-year/story-fnelctok-1226976961271

It's clear regardless. We'll see where we're at in 4/5 years time. Wines is a terrific player, we don't need to hear it after every round.

Jacko has some stuff to work on as with any player on our list, McCartney evidently thinks he'll respond better if he's given a spray in the media. That's how football works.

The complete opposite of this is true. Do you actually watch football ?

As for the poll, Wines is probably slightly ahead at the moment, mainly because he had the better first season but if I had the choice, I would take Macrae all day everyday and twice on Sundays. Macrae's ceiling is the Burj Khalifa, Wines' is the Rialto.

Consistency and Reliability: Wines
Game winning class and high ceiling: Macrae
Probably a fair enough comment, consistencys not exactly a huge concern for Macrae though, he is (well was, haven't seen in a few weeks) averaging like 27 touches a game (has played every game too) as a 2nd year player :p

Back