Certified Legendary Thread Winged Guernsey Petition/Letter - #ReturnTheWings: WINGS RETURNED, PERIL RETURNED - JOB DONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I note Port are wearing home kit w/ white shorts against brisbane. I reckon we could do full royal against them no probs...
maxresdefault.jpg

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
We all know the clash guernsey was brought in to make money, nothing else. It has to be worn in some games, and I guess these were the best opponents to use it against. We wore wings against freo up until 2010, the only proper clash is against the dogs in Melbourne, we used to wear the tri panel against them, not sure of the clash is any worse in that scenario!!

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
We all know the clash guernsey was brought in to make money, nothing else. It has to be worn in some games, and I guess these were the best opponents to use it against. We wore wings against freo up until 2010, the only proper clash is against the dogs in Melbourne, we used to wear the tri panel against them, not sure of the clash is any worse in that scenario!!
If we get navy wings then there really isn't any game that the home or away won't sufficiently cover. What games will we wear the clash in then as in then? It won't be needed at all? Will they just force it on us?

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
If we get navy wings then there really isn't any game that the home or away won't sufficiently cover. What games will we wear the clash in then as in then? It won't be needed at all? Will they just force it on us?

History has shown that we never needed a clash guernsey, we survived for 25 years without it. So the answer is none, we wouldn't "need" to use it ever, but it's been brought in as a pure money maker, and gets worn a few times a year to try and prove it's worth.

I reckon that would be exactly the same for almost every team that's brought in a clash guernsey. It's purely for cash, nothing else.

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
History has shown that we never needed a clash guernsey, we survived for 25 years without it. So the answer is none, we wouldn't "need" to use it ever, but it's been brought in as a pure money maker, and gets worn a few times a year to try and prove it's worth.

I reckon that would be exactly the same for almost every team that's brought in a clash guernsey. It's purely for cash, nothing else.
Well no. Tripan and white shorts generates clashes, and the wings clash with other royal teams, so neither is ideal. So currently a third jumper makes sense.

However, navy and royal wings solve all clashes. No need for a third jumper.

Some other teams use their clash as an away, or only use it when a clash exists (maybe once/twice a year) I have no issue with that, but again. These teams only have two jumpers. We have three.

If Carlton can wear their home jumper, we can wear the navy wings. So Bulldogs, Brisbane, etc should be fine.

Silly coxy, clashes don't exist if you're a big Victorian team.

Oct 1, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, West Perth, All Blacks
How amazing would it be if the club decided to scrap the navy wings and went straight back to the peril as our home strip... Peril and royal wings solve all clashes with any team.

Not likely I know, but one can dream.
That's what I've wanted all along. The team looked incredible at home against North and Richmond in 2011.

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
I know that, not debating that. Just wondering why it occurred.
It was a "tradition" thing. We played all other grand finals in wings, so it "made sense" to play those grand finals in them.

Its just this abnormality in the clubs thought process where in finals, we favour the wings over anything else. However for the other 23 games we shove them in a cupboard and favour our other two jumpers.

What was the reasoning behind wearing the wings back in 05/06 Grand Finals?

Tri Panel clearly didn't clash with Sydney, despite the unpopularity it was and still is the Grand Final, and in the first GF they were the higher ranked side.

Was it an AFL or WCE decision?
WCE decision, because it's our 'away' jumper, and despite being the higher ranked side we we're still playing 'away' from Subiaco.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
What was the reasoning behind wearing the wings back in 05/06 Grand Finals?

Tri Panel clearly didn't clash with Sydney, despite the unpopularity it was and still is the Grand Final, and in the first GF they were the higher ranked side.

Was it an AFL or WCE decision?

I covered this a few pages back.

Stocks confirmed any interstate match is considered away as far as sponsors are concerned. So although technically we were the 'home' side - we were interstate and had to wear Royal to satisfy sponsor arrangement. Basically we have a "WA jumper" and "interstate jumper", not home and away.

Which is a good thing - would have been crap having tri-panel in the Grand Finals.

I believe we also have 2 clash tablecloths with the different sponsor arrangements to cator for playing Freo "away".

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I covered this a few pages back.

Stocks confirmed any interstate match is considered away as far as sponsors are concerned. So although technically we were the 'home' side - we were interstate and had to wear Royal to satisfy sponsor arrangement. Basically we have a "WA jumper" and "interstate jumper", not home and away.

Which is a good thing - would have been crap having tri-panel in the Grand Finals.

I believe we also have 2 clash tablecloths with the different sponsor arrangements to cator for playing Freo "away".

Remember when you guys had the tri-panels with HJ's on the front? Was worn against North at Manuka, Bulldogs at Etihad etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back