Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Axcellence

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Jul 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Surprise!
early call, but clearly Melbourne midfield will get a major lift next year with Petracca, Brayshaw, ANB, stretch. I still have questions about their backline, but atleast Jones won't be a lone hand.

Overall, everyone seemed to have a good draft as t was a deep pool.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Geelong have gone solely for midfielder's, but I can't help feeling they should have grabbed one of those KP defenders while they were there. Cockatoo is a talent no doubt. But they traded pick 21 for Stanley and that's where Hugh Goddard went. That is a fail to me.

Melbourne have done very very well. Petracca, Brayshaw, Stretch and ANB all ready to go from round 1. McDonald will replace Frawley in time.

Im very happy at the Saints. McCartin sets up our forwardline post Riewoldt. Goddard was talked about as the #1 pick (along with Lever and Wright) 12 months ago so that's a massive steal.

McKenzie said he was intervied by every club so he must be rated and can play anywhere with that elite disposal.

Lonie another ball winning forward who can push up the ground. Add him to Billings, Templeton and the likes of Membrey and Murdoch and we have a dangerous rotation.

Below that -

Geelong and the Dogs got very nice hauls with their picks.

Essendon would be stoked with Langford and Laverde. Talk about setting up a midfield!

Only real question mark was Carlton taking Boekhorst at #19. Surely wouldve been there at #28??

Also not sure on Richmond grabbing Reece McKenzie. Probably good value that late but is behind Vickery, Hampson, Griffiths and McBean for that Ruck/Forward spot.

Masto

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Geelong have gone solely for midfielder's, but I can't help feeling they should have grabbed one of those KP defenders while they were there. Cockatoo is a talent no doubt. But they traded pick 21 for Stanley and that's where Hugh Goddard went. That is a fail to me.

Yep. Goddard for Stanley is a strange decision.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Winners:
Saints: Of course they had good picks, but Goddard, McKenzie, Lonie I'm a fan of that
Coll: Again, good picks. But De Goey should replace Beams in time and I'm a big fan of Maynard and Goodyear
West Coast: Think they've got 5 guys who can play and they had a spine already. Think they've really bulked up their midfield and half backline. Lamb's the kind of risk they haven't been making for a while, could pay off well

Losers:
Port: Just surprised with 3 talls and a marking medium size type. I know their list (and best 25ish) is good. But at the same time they have Clurey, Butcher and Mitch Harvey as developing talls as well. Surely there was a running type at one of their late picks to give them some wing/half back depth?
North: It's not that I don't rate their 3 guys, but I just wonder if it helps them win a flag any time soon taking 2 key defenders then a third tall defender or defensive midfielder type

I'd have a special category for Carlton, in very very risky. A mature age wingman, followed by an elite kicker who has deficiencies, followed by Clem Smith then a late pick up key forward. Boom or bust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
You guys also did the pick upgrade with Adelaide for no reason. Cockatoo would've been there at 14

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
early call, but clearly Melbourne midfield will get a major lift next year with Petracca, Brayshaw, ANB, stretch. I still have questions about their backline, but atleast Jones won't be a lone hand.

Overall, everyone seemed to have a good draft as t was a deep pool.
Our backline has been by million miles our best line for 8 years. :confused:

Axcellence

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Jul 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Surprise!
Who would figure that team that has picks 2 and 3 in the draft would be a "winner" in the draft :rolleyes:

Let me guess... You want to claim your club did

Who would figure that team that has picks 2 and 3 in the draft would be a "winner" in the draft :rolleyes:
Brayshaw picked himself but Petracca is a bit of a steal (as much as a #2 pick can be) + we got incredibly lucky with Billy Stretch at 42. ANB and Oscar McDonald were rated as top 25 prospects so getting them at 40 and 53 is fortunate. We did about as well as we could have - best available at each pick.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We didn't though. Speed, skill and smarts were a priority IMO. And we got them. Stoked.
Depends on how you rate Silvagni (who's a journeyman), Tanner Smith (who was dropped back to the rookie list) and Alex Pearce isn't it? Because no doubt you need a McPharlin replacement and some cover for Dawson and Johnson.

I like Apeness and Taberner as much as any key forward available to you so no concerns there. But the key defender has to be a question mark.

Any tall you took now probably wont be ready whilst Sandi, Pav, Mundy etc are still at their peaks anyway so it's probably foolish to say oh well you should've taken a key defender at pick whatever.

Axcellence

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Surprise!
Our backline has been by million miles our best line for 8 years. :confused:

Even after losing Frawley? Just because Roos plays an ultra defensive place meaning you guys don't get blasted by 200 points?

Your last 8 years are horrible for a reason.

Traveling_Power

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Winners:

Losers:
Port: Just surprised with 3 talls and a marking medium size type. I know their list (and best 25ish) is good. But at the same time they have Clurey, Butcher and Mitch Harvey as developing talls as well. Surely there was a running type at one of their late picks to give them some wing/half back depth?

3 talls are what we need ... we need to have in place replacements for Schulzy, Hoff, Trengove and Carlile ... as for Butch he is in a make or break year this year (if he doesn't improve his kicking we need to replace him) ...Harvey and Shaw need some more game time in the SANFL

in this draft we needed tall KPP and Rucks ... what we don't need is a running HBF or Wing type players as we have a number of these players (e.g. - Calquhoun)

As for your query about a running type for wing or HBF for our depth ? well we have enough HBF players (that is one of our strengths in the player list) as for Wings we have Polec and White (and we can also use Cornes, Hammer, Amon and a number of other players on the wing - such as P. Stewart

HawkintheTuarts

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Flyers
Uninspired overall with Hawthorn's draft picks but underestimate Wrighty at your peril, it will be interesting to see how they end up developing in the best team for it. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back