Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne have done very very well. Petracca, Brayshaw, Stretch and ANB all ready to go from round 1. McDonald will replace Frawley in time.

Im very happy at the Saints. McCartin sets up our forwardline post Riewoldt. Goddard was talked about as the #1 pick (along with Lever and Wright) 12 months ago so that's a massive steal.

McKenzie said he was intervied by every club so he must be rated and can play anywhere with that elite disposal.

Lonie another ball winning forward who can push up the ground. Add him to Billings, Templeton and the likes of Membrey and Murdoch and we have a dangerous rotation.

Below that -

Geelong and the Dogs got very nice hauls with their picks.

Essendon would be stoked with Langford and Laverde. Talk about setting up a midfield!

Only real question mark was Carlton taking Boekhorst at #19. Surely wouldve been there at #28??

Also not sure on Richmond grabbing Reece McKenzie. Probably good value that late but is behind Vickery, Hampson, Griffiths and McBean for that Ruck/Forward spot.

McKenzie has more talent than all those spuds put together.

As a forward, he's legit - but needs to lessen the gap between his best (Tom Hawkins beast mode) and his worst (Jordan Lisle sooky la-la mode) :thumbsu:

Tiges could have the steal of the draft on their hands :footy:

Firstly, I have no idea as to how good any of these blokes are

Secondly - absolutely I would have. They both potentially fill a need and the likelihood is 1 or both will be a bust.

So you as a recruiter would just go for bust with every pick?

Chase speculative talent with every pick and pray they come good?

Waylene Manson for pick 11 because he has X Factor?

The thing is that the top 15 players are judged to be in the top 15 because they have solid credentials as opposed to others. And that is called "playing it safe" by many Big Footy keyboard experts.

I think I'll leave it to the full time professionals who actually put a fair amount of research and science into their decisions.

The "winner" tag will come from the late picks imo as I have high expectations for the draftees in the first 2 rounds. And in that regard I am pretty happy with what Fremantle have found in rounds 3 and 4.

In the earlier rounds I am pretty impressed with what panned out for St Kilda and Essendon. Saints nailing the KPPs, Essendon landing some x-factor.

The "winner" tag will come from the late picks imo as I have high expectations for the draftees in the first 2 rounds. And in that regard I am pretty happy with what Fremantle have found in rounds 3 and 4.

In the earlier rounds I am pretty impressed with what panned out for St Kilda and Essendon. Saints nailing the KPPs, Essendon landing some x-factor.
I reckon Deluca was a great get with a late pick and was completely ignored by those outside WA

You're the one who clearly doesn't get it. How do you misinterpret something as simple as "winners and losers of the draft"?

You can't always take the world completely at face value. Sometimes you have to read behind the lines a little, understand the nuances of the English language.

If the thread was entitled 'Who do you think got a steal or two and who reached?', would that make things easier for you?

You are clearly a black and white and nothing inbetween kind of person which is kind of scary.

Last edited:
Training methods, more attention after first year, lack of confidence, home sickness, lack of interest.
It is more likely to be something other than injury - due to Trengove actually stringing together consistent games over time.
Perhaps Trengove trained with his sister - a marathon runner - and slowed down, or perhaps he wasn't all that fast to begin with.
Trengoves drop is form is just as likely to be factors other than injury.
If JT was injured in the modern game, he wouldn't of strung sequences together.
I'm not talking about a form drop I'm talking about the severe loss of is physical attributes. I have no idea why you seem to troll about about Trengove, it's beyond stupid.

I'm not talking about a form drop I'm talking about the severe loss of is physical attributes. I have no idea why you seem to troll about about Trengove, it's beyond stupid.
It's bizarre... Played well in 2010 & 2011 and was found to have stress fractures in his foot in 2012, that he still has today...

It's bizarre... Played well in 2010 & 2011 and was found to have stress fractures in his foot in 2012, that he still has today...
It's like someone pretending to be bewildered by Luke Ball's lack of form at StKilda. I'm guessing he's got some kind of axe to grind as he's taken shots at Trengove before. :confused:

Fremantle still asked the question this trade period. Black was disinterested and wanted to stay at the Roos.
Yes I know. He already turned Freo down last year in a GF year, was hardly going to agree this year with Freo on the slide (lost 2 finals) and North on the rise (won 2 finals).

Lamb is severely overrated though. Duggan is a solid pick but Lamb has almost no composure under pressure which is a hard thing to improve.

If this were true then conservative West Coast would have most certainly gone Blakely second who seems to have excellent composure.

We obviously think all of Lamb's flaws are correctable. Combinbed with his intangibles will make an amazing player - if he can overcome his deficiencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKenzie has more talent than all those spuds put together.

As a forward, he's legit - but needs to lessen the gap between his best (Tom Hawkins beast mode) and his worst (Jordan Lisle sooky la-la mode) :thumbsu:

Tiges could have the steal of the draft on their hands :footy:

Hope you are right. Just looking at his highlights he definitely has some talent and combine results show he has athletic ability.

Must be a good reason why 17 other clubs over looked him though.

We have plenty of young tall marking forward options now.

Richmond VFL games next year will pull crowds. McBean + Mckenzie is a pretty handy CHF, FF combo.

I think all your draftees of the last two years will see plenty of game time early in 2015.;)

Puns aside Essendon did do well with Laverde and Langford.

So much for the draft penalties handed out by the AFL. :mad: Essendon lose their first round pick but get an end of first round pick as compensation (seriously who gets compensation for running an out of control drug program FFS) and then land a touted top 5 pick at the end of the first round.

Just another example of how the AFL is a joke, Crows copped a heavier penalty for Tippett selling meat pies on the TV.:thumbsdown:

It's the AFL's version of "hush money" in the form of a draft pick.

Im still trying to figure out why gc drafted wright. I mean they have an abundance of talls at either ends.
Perhaps Gorringe may not be the player they hoped for and are investing in his future replacement.
Edit. This is an understatement.

:thumbsu:Reckon the Dees got an absolute steal at #53 with Oscar McDonald given he blanketed all 3 of the KPF's to go in the top ten McCartin, Wright and Moore during the year and also has the ability to go forward and hit the scoreboard.

I'm also pretty happy about getting ANB and Stretch as well. ANB is a great fit for us, he's got a chance to slide into our midfield.

Taking out our first two picks, I think we did quite well. But as Roos has already stated now we have to develop them properly

What an amazing read. Widely tipped as the losers of the 2008 draft, that group made up over a quarter of our first ever grand final side. Hill (pick 3), Ballantyne (pick 21), Suban (pick 24), Clarke (pick 37), Walters (pick 53), Deboer (2nd round rookie selection).

I think 2008 the experts were still hung up on athletic ability, body types etc.

Let me guess, Ballantyne was "too small", Suban "wrong body type", Walters "bad kicking style".....

All forgetting about "can play football".

You can't always take the world completely at face value. Sometimes you have to read behind the lines a little, understand the nuances of the English language.

If the thread was entitled 'Who do you think got a steal or two and who reached?', would that make things easier for you?

You are clearly a black and white and nothing inbetween kind of person which is kind of scary.
****en lol; what rubbish from a faux-intellectual.

Thread titles and opening posts should always give a clear idea on what the thread is about; I shouldn't have to interpret a vague, likely non-existant message just because a dill like you did. To say I'm misinterpreting a thread called "winners and losers of the draft", where the OP & a lot of the following posts don't give the slightest suggestion that it's a simple analysis or prediction thread illustrates you're no more intelligent than those judging teams based on nothing.
Don't like it..... Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Are you one of the idiots indulging in the stupidity at work in this thread? Are you passing judgements on teams' drafts?

So you as a recruiter would just go for bust with every pick?

Chase speculative talent with every pick and pray they come good?

Waylene Manson for pick 11 because he has X Factor?

The thing is that the top 15 players are judged to be in the top 15 because they have solid credentials as opposed to others. And that is called "playing it safe" by many Big Footy keyboard experts.

I think I'll leave it to the full time professionals who actually put a fair amount of research and science into their decisions.

Wtf are you talking about?

Every single pick can be a bust. We could have gone the supposedly safe Blakey pick - guess what, he could be a bust as well. We need midfield talent, I'd have no issue picking cockatoo and lamb if the recruiters think they are the best chance of becoming quality players.

We picked 5 guys up yesterday - odds are no more than 2 play 150 games and that would be lucky

I'll list some of my favourite selections...

Crows: loved the selection of Lever and Wigg, these two have some elite qualities, did well.
Lions: who cares, they got Beams/Christensen
Blues: allowed Goddard and Laverde to slide to get Boekhorst in the teens - they must've been spooked by another club. DVR possibly selected early too and Smith, well, Im just not a fan - having said that it was a late pick.
Pies: De Goey and Maynard, on top of Moore, Pies winners in another draft for sure. Great picks for them, losing Beams will hurt, but not as much after they see De Goey & Maynard play.
Essendon: to select Laverde and Langford was awesome for them, I still don't know how a club is allowed to be stripped of the first two rounds for two years and still be awarded a first round compo pick as a 'sweetener'. I'll p remember that every time Laverde plays for them, not that it's his fault. Two great picks touted top 10 by many.
Freo: Weller I rate is being the best mid from this draft (if we fast forward 5 years), I still stand by my word that he is a flight risk but he was best available - seems after reaching for some in recent drafts in the first round - they just wanted best avail this year. Blakely to me will thrive under Lyon, Langdon and Deluca good value picks. If Weller is there in 5 years, the draft could be a big win, if not, well, same could be said about any team so I won't go there.
Geelong: could be a huge draft, Cockatoo, Gore and Cunico (who I hoped slipped to the rookie draft) could all potentially become a grade in their elite environment, it's a risky draft imo, but I'd back Geelong in. If they'd known Goddard was there at 21, would they have still traded for Stanley?
Gold Coast: Miller, Wright and Garlett. Great selections top notch again, strange to see where Wright fits in with a forward line of Dixon, Lynch, Day with Nicholls, Gorringe or Smith resting - he was too good to stay on the table and if one of them walk, then will get a good trade regardless I suppose.
GWS: I feel a little underwhelmed with Marchbank, Pickett and Ahern - at those picks at least, all three could become a grade, but I would've selected differently at 6/7 personally. Taking McKenna at 23 just seemed like they were holding the draft in contempt - but it was their last live one so obviously wanted him.
Hawks: meh
Dees: killed it. This could actually be considered the best draft haul ever by a club in the future, when looking back in 10 years time this could be a Geelong 01 like draft. Lots of water to go under the bridge but their 2/3 could've easily been pick one. ANB could've easily been end of first round. Stretch is underrated and MCDonald could've easily been late first/early second.
North: very solid draft, Durdin could become an elite KPP if given time to develop into his body. Neilson seemed early, but is a nice pick, EVW a good player at that point.
Port: who cares they got Ryder
Tigs: a good mix, I warmed to Ellis, he doesn't need to be a franchise player to be a good pick, Reece late killed the St Kilda rookie dreams, Menadue could be a great pick after a few preseasons - I'd be happier with this draft over Trengove and his dodgy foot.
Saints: biased, but the 'bookends' were a great pickup. Time will tell if it was the right choice for Paddy, but he was still a deserving #1. If Petracca was the runaway #1 Richo would've known it. I think we would've been confident of getting Boyd or Cameron, now neither would be possible imo which is why I reckon we went this direction. Massive war chest for a mid like Treloar would now be on the table which I'd rate over Petracca, I suppose an elite mid would be cheaper and easier to get than an elite fwd - if nothing separated the two in terms of talent - they made the right call. Both Goddard and Paddy are outstanding young men too which is something Trout puts an emphasis on. So it seems a needs based draft with mids on their way in the next few years, Key Forward for Roo, Key Back (allows Bruce to swing fwd), best mid available, then best small forward (for Milne/Schneids). Goddard alone at 21 when he was in the mix for 7 meant the draft was a win at this stage.
Swans: they got Heeney so who cares.
Eagles: Duggan is a fantastic pickup, outstanding kid, Lamb possibly recruited to allow Darling to play his ideal role - they were making Darling a big mid, Lamb would play that role to perfection - allowing him to be that dangerous fwd again, great selection imo. I like Cavka selection at that spot too, great draft.
Dogs: I'm underwhelmed. But at least Hrovat would feel a lot better now. I rate Webb as being Billings mk2, but even I reckon that was a little early. They picked some potentially very good players up but none really say wow to me. I'm glad they punted on Daniel, I'd laugh if he had a late growth spurt, kid is elite in so many areas - for his sake, I'd like him to make it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back