Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Neal-Bullen also played HBF for Glenelg seniors in 9 games where he averaged 20 disposals.

And he says Lamumba and Vince are a "quick fix". Both are athletic and should play 60-80 games. It's all part of the cycle of improving.

Who'd argue that Stewie Dew and Brian Lake weren't worthwhile ? Or Jolly/Ball at the Pies.

Mate, move on please lol
Don't worry about it, simple question no answer yet so let's not argue anything

Ok I'll do winners & losers with short explanation

Adelaide - winners, good pickup with Lever to backup Talia
Port - winners, addressed ruck issue, got Ryder so worth the picks
Brisbane - winners, picked up A-grade mid so no brainer
Gold Coast - winners, Malceski and good drafting plus no losses either
Freo - winners only reason didn't make stupid trades and got Weller
Eagles - winners, no stupid trsdes and again decent pickups

Sydney - losers with trade bans but got Heeney so not as bad
GWS - big losers, lost a lot of talent for picks, not worth it

I've done interstate teams, tonight will do Vic teams and plenty of losers there

Winners are teams addressing issues not those who neglect them

Last edited:
Pies - losers lost Beams, simple

Blues - coin flip honestly but losers as we lost Waite, Robbo, Garlett and Lucas for virtually nothing

Bombers - broke even lost Ryder but got Giles, Cooney, drafted well

Hawks - BIG WINNERS enough said

North - losers, lost Greenwood

Bulldogs - losers lost soo many senior players and coach

Cats - winners gained Cockatoo, lost Varcoe but gained Clark. Do cats ever loose with recruiting? No!

Demons - I'll say winners but only slightly, then again not much on offer with trades, Frost good pickup

Tigers - BIG QUESTION, Corey Ellis suffered stress fracture big Tigers still took punt so winners for NOW as other recruits were ok

Saints - winners, good trade period, enough said

Last edited:

Blues - coin flip honestly but losers as we lost Waite, Robbo, Garlett and Lucas for virtually nothing

Interesting as you came onto the Dogs board and said how big winners Carlton were because they secured a forward with potential like Liam Jones while we put all our eggs in the Boyd basket.

Neal-Bullen also played HBF for Glenelg seniors in 9 games where he averaged 20 disposals.

And he says Lamumba and Vince are a "quick fix". Both are athletic and should play 60-80 games. It's all part of the cycle of improving.

Who'd argue that Stewie Dew and Brian Lake weren't worthwhile ? Or Jolly/Ball at the Pies. It's about playing a role until they're replaced. As a club we need to continue improving and our balance of youth and maturity is definitely getting better.
Your midfield has gotten better but you still have no foward line and your best backman just left.
If your putting your hopes on Hogan you will still need to wait 2-3 years. He wont impact games in his 1st year.
Melbourne were the lowest scoring team in 50 years.
That will continue next year and you will finish bottom 4 again.

Interesting as you came onto the Dogs board and said how big winners Carlton were because they secured a forward with potential like Liam Jones while we put all our eggs in the Boyd basket.

There is upside with Liam, has had experience at senior level and should be ok but Bulldogs and Blues have something in comon, both teams had big exits and in Blues case we got Jack for losing them, Liam doesn't justify loosing plsyers, Dogs lost a lot of experience too and we both lost high picks

Tom will be a good player, I never bagged him. Griffen 28 years old and pick 6 for last years pick 1 is worth it but my point is, how can both teams win when lost a handful of players, true?

I also said that Tom will be a gun, didn't I?

GWS bigger losers as lost younger talent taken higher

Last edited:
Your midfield has gotten better but you still have no foward line and your best backman just left.
If your putting your hopes on Hogan you will still need to wait 2-3 years. He wont impact games in his 1st year.
Melbourne were the lowest scoring team in 50 years.
That will continue next year and you will finish bottom 4 again.

I beg to differ.

Hogan will play all of next year as a 20 year old with 3 preseasons under his belt. His endurance is already in the top handful at the club. He won Casey's B&F from 13 games with 39 goals as an 18 year old two years ago.

At the same age in his second year Jack Darling played 24 games and kicked 53 goals. I'm not suggesting Hogan won't need to acclimatise to the tempo, that he'll emulate Darling's second year, or that he'll impact every game, but I am suggesting that as a strong, talented 20 year old he'll most definitely impact plenty of games of football in his first year.

I expect Hogan to have a better debut season than Darling's, which was very good.

Dunn, McDonald, Howe, Frost, Garland, Grimes, Jetta, and Lamumba is a very solid back-line. Frawley is a good player, but prone to terrible foot-skills and brain fades. I don't think his loss will be as great as you suppose.

Hogan, Dawes, Gawn, Garlett, Pedersen, Petracca, JKH, Kent, Watts also presents a forward-line that's on the improve.

For Melbourne it gets back to the midfield. It's about clearances, tackles and better understanding Roos' game-plan. We have much to do, but for the first time in a long time I feel we're heading in the right direction.

I beg to differ.

Hogan will play all of next year as a 20 year old with 3 preseasons under his belt. His endurance is already in the top handful at the club. He won Casey's B&F from 13 games with 39 goals as an 18 year old two years ago.

At the same age in his second year Jack Darling played 24 games and kicked 53 goals. I'm not suggesting Hogan won't need to acclimatise to the tempo, that he'll emulate Darling's second year, or that he'll impact every game, but I am suggesting that as a strong, talented 20 year old he'll most definitely impact plenty of games of football in his first year.

I expect Hogan to have a better debut season than Darling's, which was very good.

Dunn, McDonald, Howe, Frost, Garland, Grimes, Jetta, and Lamumba is a very solid back-line. Frawley is a good player, but prone to terrible foot-skills and brain fades. I don't think his loss will be as great as you suppose.

Hogan, Dawes, Gawn, Garlett, Pedersen, Petracca, JKH, Kent, Watts also presents a forward-line that's on the improve.

For Melbourne it gets back to the midfield. It's about clearances, tackles and better understanding Roos' game-plan. We have much to do, but for the first time in a long time I feel we're heading in the right direction.
Hogan has 3 preseasons but how many AFL games?
There is a massive step from VFL to AFL.
Liam Mcbean came 2nd in the VFL goal kicking last year and 4th this year. That dosent mean he will be any good at AFL.

In 2014 Melbourne:
dot.gif
Ranked 16th in Kicks Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 12th in Handballs Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 13th in Disposals Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 18th in Points Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 15th in Tackles Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 16th in least Opponent Kicks Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 16th in least Opponent Marks Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 12th in least Opponent Points Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 17th in least Opponent Tackles Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 15th in Team to Opponent Kicks Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 14th in Team to Opponent Marks Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 16th in Team to Opponent Points Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 18th in Team to Opponent Tackles Per Game Diff.

All of that stats prove Melbourne is a basket case offensively and defensively.

Liam Mcbean came 2nd in the VFL goal kicking last year and 4th this year. That dosent mean he will be any good at AFL.

In 2014 Melbourne:
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

LOL you must be trolling ?

Hogan will be a star, Dawes is servicable, Gartlett can be very good.
Kent and Petracca are both quality.
Melbourne will improve, there forward line looks a good mix.
Much better balanced forward line than Richmond.
If they get the quality supply they need, they will improve greatly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you think Toump and Salem play? It won't be as a core midfielder...
I think Salem will play a fwd/mid rotation, however Toumpas is interesting. His best position is in the midfield, however I'm not sure he's good enough to play there for you guys after you've loaded up on midfield talent. Honestly, I'd hope he has a good season in the VFL and then trade him for a flanker.

LOL you must be trolling ?

Hogan will be a star, Dawes is servicable, Gartlett can be very good.
Kent and Petracca are both quality.
Melbourne will improve, there forward line looks a good mix.
Much better balanced forward line than Richmond.
If they get the quality supply they need, they will improve greatly.
How can Hogan possibly be called a star? HE HASNT PLAYED A GAME!!
Petracca HASNT PLAYED A GAME!

Bombers - broke even lost Ryder but got Giles, Cooney, drafted well

Hawks - BIG WINNERS enough said

North - losers, lost Greenwood

Bulldogs - losers lost soo many senior players and coach

Cats - winners gained Cockatoo, lost Varcoe but gained Clark. Do cats ever loose with recruiting? No!

Demons - I'll say winners but only slightly, then again not much on offer with trades, Frost good pickup

Tigers - BIG QUESTION, Corey Ellis suffered stress fracture big Tigers still took punt so winners for NOW as other recruits were ok

Saints - winners, good trade period, enough said

How can you say nothing regarding the cats taking Cockatoo, yet have a big question mark on Ellis considering they had the same injury, and the potential to re-injury? To me its either / or to both players.

I beg to differ.

Hasn't Hogan been injured a lot over the last 2 or so seasons so hasn't completed the 3 preseasons?

In 2014 Melbourne:
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

Hogan has dominated at every level he's ever played. Plenty of the chumps running around at AFL level weren't near his class at the levels below.

You'll soon be a believer.

Last edited:
When Roos took over he said we need to stop the huge scores against. This area was an improvement . No doubt there is still room to improve though. Roos also said we need to get our hands on the footy more which we did. Sure we are ranking on the lower side on those but we have significantly improved from 2013.
Roos has recently said he wants to improve ball movement and scoring. So I expect to see improvement in that area this year. We also seem to have more players on the track this year. Seemed half our list was in rehab group last pre season.

We were the only team Chris Pelchen gave an A rating in his analysis/ review of the Trade Period, ND and Rookie Draft. Next best was Brisbane with an A-

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-04/pelchens-analysis

So it's official now, we won :p
Rates Richmond and Carlton as the worst performers.

I really liked who Richmond took in the draft - dont know enough about Carlton's picks to say whether we reached, but we needed a ready made winger.

Rates Richmond and Carlton as the worst performers.

I really liked who Richmond took in the draft - dont know enough about Carlton's picks to say whether we reached, but we needed a ready made winger.
Five years from now the Tiges and Blues may end up the winners, nobody really knows, but you'd have to respect the opinion of a person of Pelchen's experience and knowledge at this point in time.

Hogan has dominated at every level he's ever played. Plenty of the chumps running around at AFL level weren't near his class at the levels below.

You'll soon be a believer.
Think most acknowledge he will be quality, just not necessarily in his first season of AFL. Could very well take a couple of years to adjust, which is fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back