Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
I love reading Colin Wisbey, but don't get to see his stuff anymore, but interestingly enough he rated Boekhorst at 13 in his pre-draft top 30 rankings.

Wisbey can be hit or miss, but I always found him compelling reading.
Where is his pre-drft top 30?

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pies - losers lost Beams, simple

Blues - coin flip honestly but losers as we lost Waite, Robbo, Garlett and Lucas for virtually nothing

Bombers - broke even lost Ryder but got Giles, Cooney, drafted well

Hawks - BIG WINNERS enough said

North - losers, lost Greenwood

Bulldogs - losers lost soo many senior players and coach

Cats - winners gained Cockatoo, lost Varcoe but gained Clark. Do cats ever loose with recruiting? No!

Demons - I'll say winners but only slightly, then again not much on offer with trades, Frost good pickup

Tigers - BIG QUESTION, Corey Ellis suffered stress fracture big Tigers still took punt so winners for NOW as other recruits were ok

Saints - winners, good trade period, enough said

What does Beams have to do with winning/losing the DRAFT?

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
What does Beams have to do with winning/losing the DRAFT?

It has draft/trading/fa winners and losers

Because I said, ps please don't say I'm trolling, all I here everytime ppl don't here what they want to here lol

Honestly big loss to Pies and just don't see any short term replacements for him. But will add Pies did well to pressure Lions for a good package in 5, 25 (Levi) & Crisp as long term will benefit Pies

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Hogan has dominated at every level he's ever played. Plenty of the chumps running around at AFL level weren't near his class at the levels below.

You'll soon be a believer.
So did Jack Watts.
Im not saying that he wont be a gun.
Im saying that to call him a superstar and have such high expectations on him is unrealistic. Until he plays 50 games we wont know.
For the sake of the AFL I hope Melbourne does improve because they are a blight on the competition at the moment. Embarrassing really.
And dont worry. Richmond was in that situation 5 years ago.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
So did Jack Watts.
Im saying that to call him a superstar and have such high expectations on him is unrealistic. Until he plays 50 games we wont know.
For the sake of the AFL I hope Melbourne does improve because they are a blight on the competition at the moment. Embarrassing really.

Having watched him play and train I'll back my judgment. I accept you disagree, so let's move on.

Btw, Watts never "dominated" TAC. He played some nice games, showed class and tested incredibly at DC for a 196 cm player (athletically).

Hogan loves hitting people. Watts hates being touched. They're poles apart.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
So did Jack Watts.

Wrong, Watts never dominated at any level.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Neal-Bullen also played HBF for Glenelg seniors in 9 games where he averaged 20 disposals.

And he says Lamumba and Vince are a "quick fix". Both are athletic and should play 60-80 games. It's all part of the cycle of improving.

Who'd argue that Stewie Dew and Brian Lake weren't worthwhile ? Or Jolly/Ball at the Pies. It's about playing a role until they're replaced. As a club we need to continue improving and our balance of youth and maturity is definitely getting better.

Billy Stretch did get under 18 all australian honours which was just brought to my attention so did have a good championships

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hogan will likely be as ready as any big unit his size and age has been to impact at AFL level in a long time, due mostly to his epic endurance and bulk combo and also natural footy ability. He performed far more strongly by the sounds of it at senior VFL level, at 18yo, than Boyd did this year at the infinitely weaker NEAFL level, at 19yo, and if he has another preseason under his belt by next season, he could make a very solid impact indeed. He looked ready to play senior AFL two seasons ago.

Last edited:

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
So did Jack Watts.

And 30 years ago, and 25 years ago, and 20 years ago, and 15 years ago, and 10 years ago...

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hogan will likely be as ready as any big unit his size and age has been to impact at AFL level in a long time, due mostly to his epic endurance and bulk combo and also natural footy ability. He performed far more strongly by the sounds of it at senior VFL level, at 18yo, than Boyd did this year at the infinitely weaker NEAFL level, at 19yo, and if he has another preseason under his belt by next season, he could make a very solid impact indeed. He looked ready to play senior AFL two seasons ago.

Hogan wins on the eye test for sure.

Back