Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo seemed to pick everyone with speed in the draft. Is that because we're lacking it or something our recruiters see as something pivotal moving forward. We'll have to wait and see

I think most clubs had a reasonable win with the draft. Freo will do well with their picks and I expect to see them near the top at the end of the yea
Carlton now have a few players that show promise and only time will tell how it all pans out. The Blues have turned over more than half their team in the last two years losing a couple of good ones and gaining a few.
Every team needs KPP's in every area (including the Ruck) that can get the hard ball and do something with it. Get that right and the rest will follow.

If you're talking about our drafting, it's been excellent in recent years. McLean, Daniel, Hamilton and Dale are all players with massive potential although I can't judge them until they play at AFL level. Tom Liberatore was an absolute steal, Marcus Bontempelli had a good first year in the system and once he's settled in a position he will be elite and Mitch Honeychurch looks like a long term crumbingg small forward withy the ability to go into the midfield. Johannisen will be a solid back flanker, I don't think he'll be elite but a solid rebounder none the less. Nathan Hrovat has impeccable footy smarts and although he's been dubbed the next Sam Mitchell, I'd like to see him play forward more more. Prudden has never been given a clear run at it, so if he doesn't do something this year he can be labelled a dud. Easton Wood is improving each year and Michael Talia had a great year in the VFL. Not all of us can tank so we get top order draft picks...
Ok smartass, go back to telling everyone how Clay Smith is better tha Jack Ziebell.

Ok smartass, go back to telling everyone how Clay Smith is better tha Jack Ziebell.

How long ago was I making that argument? presumably before Smith's two ACL injuries?

I just showed you how flawed your post was, no sense getting pissy

Freo seemed to pick everyone with speed in the draft. Is that because we're lacking it or something our recruiters see as something pivotal moving forward. We'll have to wait and see

Yeah strange one this weller Langdon and DeLuca-cardillo are speedy players blakely has elite agility and lateral movement. Its not a domain your team is really lacking though. You've got speed in the wings and midfield through pearce and hill. Forward line have ballantyne and walters also mayne with his defensive pressure. Finally through the back half with Sutcliffe and de boer is not that slow either.

Yet to debut brady grey is pretty fast aswell but is almost the same build as DeLuca cardillo which is a bit strange. It's not like ballantyne and walters are that old anyway which makes the selection of Langdon more puzzling

Richo happy with Saints’ tough calls
“(Trading Stanley to Geelong) was a bloody difficult decision,’’ Richardson said, “but if you rate the draft and back your guys in list management, you sometimes have to make challenging decisions — and from the outside potentially surprising decisions — depending on what draft pick you can get back.

“Rhys was very much a required player, and we thought that his best games last season went to another level, but we just felt that there were players at that pick (21) that we rated really strongly.

“As it turns out we’re incredibly pleased with who’s come in the door (Hugh Goddard), and although we didn’t know who it was going to be, we rated that pool really strongly. We know that Rhys will still play some good footy, but it might end up being one of those win-win trades, and we hope it is.’’

“Neither of those is true, in fact Chris and I had a fantastic working relationship and we still do,’’ Richardson said. “He was the first to text me with congratulations after the draft.

“I would think it’s almost as simple as this: he is really strong and impressive with list building, but given that the club has Ameet Bains and Tony Elshaug who are so strong and experienced in list management, we became a bit top heavy in that area.’
Great spin. :)

Trading Stanley and pick 60 for pick 21 was as good as getting Docherty for Hampson and Brad Hill for Renouf. They'll need to get the development right and avoid the pitfalls that Melbourne's drafting.

Pelchen will effectively be replaced by Wayne Hughes who will scout free agents and senior talent to rebuild their list.

Richo happy with Saints’ tough calls

Great spin. :)

Trading Stanley and pick 60 for pick 21 was as good as getting Docherty for Hampson and Brad Hill for Renouf. They'll need to get the development right and avoid the pitfalls that Melbourne's drafting.
Pelchen will effectively be replaced by Wayne Hughes who will scout free agents and senior talent to rebuild their list.

giphy.gif

Richo walking into the meet to discuss Stanley for #21

Yeah..............................................bloody tough call :)

I think it's more where they took him though, mainly being ahead of Laverde and Goddard in particular, that most are questioning, especially it seems pretty highly likely that he would have still been available at pick 28.
The thing with Laverde is that only one recruiter with a pick in the Top 20 decided Laverde was worth being drafted in the Top 20.

At one stage Laverde was being touted as a pick 5, yet Derek Hine used the pick on someone else & another highly rated recruiter, Stephen Wells, used pick 10 on Cockatoo instead of Laverde. It would be interesting to hear their thoughts on Laverde & why he dropped so much (of course we never will), but there has to be a reason why even Dodoro used his second pick in the Top 20, not the first to select Laverde.

The thing with Laverde is that only one recruiter with a pick in the Top 20 decided Laverde was worth being drafted in the Top 20.

At one stage Laverde was being touted as a pick 5, yet Derek Hine used the pick on someone else & another highly rated recruiter, Stephen Wells, used pick 10 on Cockatoo instead of Laverde. It would be interesting to hear their thoughts on Laverde & why he dropped so much (of course we never will), but there has to be a reason why even Dodoro used his second pick in the Top 20, not the first to select Laverde.
You have no idea whether that's the case.

It would be interesting to hear their thoughts on Laverde & why he dropped so much (of course we never will)
Was actually told a day or so after the draft that it had something to do with butter, especially when it's warm, and we were apparently going to overlook him as well if he got through to our 2nd/3rd picks.

I was talking about perception though, simply answering why most have questioned the Boekhurst at 19 call, not suggesting that it was necessarily the wrong one. Time will be the judge of that.

Last edited:
All I can base this on is the fact that the draft order shows us that Laverde was taken at Pick 20. Other recruiters had the chance to draft him & didn't. Even Dodoro seems to have rated Langford ahead of Laverde.
For all you know, Melbourne could have rated him in the top 5 but just had Petrecca and Brayshaw higher than him. On the other hand, they could have rated him outside the top 30. Unless you've spoken to each one, you have no way of knowing if any of them rated Laverde in the top 20.

You originally stated that "The thing with Laverde is that only one recruiter with a pick in the Top 20 decided Laverde was worth being drafted in the Top 20.", when you have no idea whether that's true.

Last edited:
All I can base this on is the fact that the draft order shows us that Laverde was taken at Pick 20. Other recruiters had the chance to draft him & didn't. Even Dodoro seems to have rated Langford ahead of Laverde.

ci6aUh.gif

It's because Dodoro tripped Rogers up. He told us so and how could you not trust this face????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all you know, Melbourne could have rated him in the top 5 but just had Petrecca and Brayshaw higher than him. On the other hand, they could have rated him outside the top 30. Unless you've spoken to each one, you have no way of knowing if any of them rated Laverde in the top 20.

You originally stated that "The thing with Laverde is that only one recruiter with a pick in the Top 20 decided Laverde was worth being drafted in the Top 20.", when you have no idea whether that's true.
Of course it's true. All other recruiters who had a pick prior to pick 20, Dodoro included, decided not to draft him with picks 1-19. That is fact.

As for Melbourne possibly rating him in the Top 5, if this was the case, he would have been pounced on before pick 20 by other recruiters. Even Dodoro rated Langford ahead of Laverde. Are you suggesting that Langford could have been rated in the Top 5 as well by other recruiters?

Let me make it clear I am not knocking Laverde, I just find it interesting that despite him being overlooked by a number of clubs, including EFC, that because Carlton didn't pounce on him at Pick 19 that this is a mistake, or that Carlton have screwed up the draft because of it. There is no rationale to such a suggestion.

Of course it's true. All other recruiters who had a pick prior to pick 20, Dodoro included, decided not to draft him with picks 1-19. That is fact.

As for Melbourne possibly rating him in the Top 5, if this was the case, he would have been pounced on before pick 20 by other recruiters. Even Dodoro rated Langford ahead of Laverde. Are you suggesting that Langford could have been rated in the Top 5 as well by other recruiters?

Let me make it clear I am not knocking Laverde, I just find it interesting that despite him being overlooked by a number of clubs, including EFC, that because Carlton didn't pounce on him at Pick 19 that this is a mistake, or that Carlton have screwed up the draft because of it. There is no rationale to such a suggestion.
You pretty much said that no recruiter thought he was worth a top 20 pick. Let's use North as an example. They picked up Sam Durdin at 16, they could have rated him at 10 and Laverde at 11, that is certainly not an outrageous claim. You have no way of knowing what they thought of him. I also suspect that you're oblivious to the fact that each recruiters rankings would be very different. You're acting like one recruiter was behind every pick in the top 20.

giphy.gif

Richo walking into the meet to discuss Stanley for #21

Yeah..............................................bloody tough call :)

What IF Stanley comes a Gun at the Cats?

What IF Stanley comes a Gun at the Cats?

Good luck to him and the Cats but that may have little to do with any anguish The Saints had to go through deciding whether to accept #21 for Stanley or not. Pretty sure most of us can accept that as being a no-brainer........even if Pelchan had to make the call.

mediumsizered I believe Essendon came out and said they actually rated Laverde ahead of Langford (8 v 12, from memory), but presumably they knew that Carlton weren't interested in Laverde and were more interested in Langford, hence taking Langford first and gambling that Laverde would still be there at 20, which he was.

Since no club had 10 or more picks in the top 20, every club could have theoretically rated Laverde in their top 10 and yet still not taken him with a top 20 pick, if whoever they did take take with their pick or picks was rated higher in their top 10 than Laverde. Massively unlikely, but still completely possible.

mediumsizered I believe Essendon came out and said they actually rated Laverde ahead of Langford (8 v 12, from memory), but presumably they knew that Carlton weren't interested in Laverde and were more interested in Langford, hence taking Langford first and gambling that Laverde would still be there at 20, which he was.

Since no club had 10 or more picks in the top 20, every club could have theoretically rated Laverde in their top 10 and yet still not taken him with a top 20 pick, if whoever they did take take with their pick or picks was rated higher in their top 10 than Laverde. Massively unlikely, but still completely possible.
The thing is, it was common knowledge at least 24 hours prior to the draft, that Carlton were taking Boekhorst with pick 19. Langford was not in the picture for Carlton & with Sydney committed to Heeney with pick 18, Langford was still going to be available at 20.

You would think that if Carlton were going to call EFC's bluff, it would have been by taking the supposedly more highly rated Laverde at 19 than the supposedly less highly rated Langford.

As has been noted by a number of posters on BF, Carlton had Boekhorst & DVR in their sights with their first 2 picks in the draft. This again was known at least 24 hours prior to the draft. Carlton was never going to select either Langford or Laverde with those picks. As per your previous post about butter when it is warm, there is every chance Laverde may have slipped quite a bit further if Dodoro hadn't selected him.

The thing is, it was common knowledge at least 24 hours prior to the draft, that Carlton were taking Boekhorst with pick 19. Langford was not in the picture for Carlton & with Sydney committed to Heeney with pick 18, Langford was still going to be available at 20.

You would think that if Carlton were going to call EFC's bluff, it would have been by taking the supposedly more highly rated Laverde at 19 than the supposedly less highly rated Langford.

As has been noted by a number of posters on BF, Carlton had Boekhorst & DVR in their sights with their first 2 picks in the draft. This again was known at least 24 hours prior to the draft. Carlton was never going to select either Langford or Laverde with those picks. As per your previous post about butter when it is warm, there is every chance Laverde may have slipped quite a bit further if Dodoro hadn't selected him.

Then why does it matter if Essendon took Langford or Laverde first if they knew they were getting both?

You can't even prove that Carlton wouldn't have taken Laverde in the top 20 if they had picks 19 and 20 let alone what 16 other clubs would've done.
:rolleyes:

Then why does it matter if Essendon took Langford or Laverde first if they knew they were getting both?

You can't even prove that Carlton wouldn't have taken Laverde in the top 20 if they had picks 19 and 20 let alone what 16 other clubs would've done.
:rolleyes:

It's very hard to prove when all one may have is a, 'Trust me' .............. but

Whether it be right or wrong Carlton preferred DVR over Laverde.
Only time will tell whether that may have been the right call or not and the reasons for that call have already been outlined through these threads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back