Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely, it's just his game style that worries me a little.

He's built his game on contested footy, he's pretty much going to have to change that to make it imo, become a Puopolo type etc in the league, mantra is defensive pressure, because looking at his size and pace (has great agility though) he's going to get absolutely monstered across a course of a game against the new breed of 6"3 midfielders.

Boomer is an outside midfielder, with elite acceleration and pace.

Daniel is an inside midfielder who is going to have to fight for the ball with guys 35kg's bigger, he's also responsible for them around the ground, teams will pick them out in the air.

Forward has to be his go imo.
I think all that would explain why we went with Lonie ahead of him. Both sub-175cm, but Lonie has made a name for himself up forward (while also having the ability to play in the midfield/wing) and is possibly the better bet for that role at AFL level.

Have heard that that is something that is being considered to stop the sort of thing that happened at Brisbane at the end of 2013. Those taken in the earlier rounds would be the ones that have the longer initial contracts though, not those taken in the later ones.
the only incentive right now to being picked say in the first to second round is only money, i think it was around 8000 per year on the rookie contract, + more match bonuses.

its all in the cab but I'm on my phone

Its far too early to make this kind of call on last year's draft. 2 years ago,many experts said Carlton were losers for taking Patrick Cripps at pick 13 and now that's looking like an inspired selection.

There is a lot more research and investigation that goes into recruiting/drafting these days then day 3-4 years ago even.

And there seems to me many more bolters and sliders these days. Far too premature to say any club won/lost last year's draft, lets give it at least 12-24 months

Have heard that that is something that is being considered to stop the sort of thing that happened at Brisbane at the end of 2013. Those taken in the earlier rounds would be the ones that have the longer initial contracts though, not those taken in the later ones.
I don't mind the idea. Contracting players for a length of time in which they're more than likely to have senior opportunities.

Still think the onus is very much on the club, in terms of building an environment that players want to be a part of. And even then, you can't account for guys that just have their heart set on it (Boyd... Aish?).

will happen I feel , just what will be the set price though? Maybe it should be a sliding scale based on games played .

Its far too early to make this kind of call on last year's draft. 2 years ago,many experts said Carlton were losers for taking Patrick Cripps at pick 13 and now that's looking like an inspired selection.

There is a lot more research and investigation that goes into recruiting/drafting these days then day 3-4 years ago even.

And there seems to me many more bolters and sliders these days. Far too premature to say any club won/lost last year's draft, lets give it at least 12-24 months

and IF you drafted a Tall it Might take 3-5 Years before you know IF they are good or not

That's what you really meant, no? :)

Watched De Goey last year and really felt strong that North were going to take him......he just looked North.

I wonder where he would have got to should The Pies not have taken him?

Well there was Talk Pre-Draft that Stephen Wells was a Massive De Goey Fan so I say there be a Strong Chance he would of Gone at Pick 10 to Geelong.

I am just Saying De Goey had a Great Game. Like a few posters on here have when 1 of there Teams Kids also plays well

Well there was Talk Pre-Draft that Stephen Wells was a Massive De Goey Fan so I say there be a Strong Chance he would of Gone at Pick 10 to Geelong.

I am just Saying De Goey had a Great Game. Like a few posters on here have when 1 of there Teams Kids also plays well

This will be a good draft for many. May bat a bit deeper then some had given it credit for.

Would sooner that more talented players were in the game than for a poor year that 2011 seems to have been.

Alec Waterman and Liam Duggan combined for 48 Disposals and 4 goals over the weekend.

With Lamb and possibly Nelson looking likely to debut in round 1..this could be a solid draft for West Coast.

Alec Waterman and Liam Duggan combined for 48 Disposals and 4 goals over the weekend.

With Lamb and possibly Nelson looking likely to debut in round 1..this could be a solid draft for West Coast.

Well Reading the Lamb article and sounds like he is Playing Really Well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Reading the Lamb article and sounds like he is Playing Really Well

Yeah. Not sure he'd be in the 22 if Darling was fit but given he's out till at least round 6, he looks the most likely to come into the team.

Blakely and Lamb look like steals at the moment..granted they haven't made and AFL debut yet. Both have been superb thus far.

Yeah. Not sure he'd be in the 22 if Darling was fit but given he's out till at least round 6, he looks the most likely to come into the team.

Blakely and Lamb look like steals at the moment..granted they haven't made and AFL debut yet. Both have been superb thus far.

Well going the Season has not Started yet. It is bit early to call anyone a steal yet.

Obviously very early but right now eagles look big winners. 3 of there draft have devoured with nelson playing well to hold his spot and duggan and waterman are dominating at wafl level.

Obviously very early but right now eagles look big winners. 3 of there draft have devoured with nelson playing well to hold his spot and duggan and waterman are dominating at wafl level.

Just way too early. Still feel St Kilda will be the massive winners. Gun KPP forward, and great KPP defender/swing man.

West Coast drafted well, Duggan looks a ready made 200+ game player.

Just way too early. Still feel St Kilda will be the massive winners. Gun KPP forward, and great KPP defender/swing man.

West Coast drafted well, Duggan looks a ready made 200+ game player.

Its at least three years before we can assess this draft IMO. For the most part, you draft players with an expectation that they will be playing consistent footy from years 3 onward. Some players perform earlier, but they for the most part are the exception. That't why I think that Ross Lyon actually does things well. He makes his young players work until they demand selection, not gifting games just because they were selected with a high draft pick.

So far I am very happy with WC's draft, probably our best since 2010, (where we picked up Gaff/Darling/Lycett). Just different for us in the since that we went deeper last year than we have for some time, but have pulled out guys that have a lot of potential, rather than just the best 19-23yo state leaguer.

True, but it is so hard to compare say a Issac Heeney with a Patrick McCartin, etc.

Agree - 2 Different Players. Then would you put players in Different Categories then when you rate a Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back