Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have St Kilda in the top 3. McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie, Lonie, Sinclair are all good young players. Haven't seen Goddard play with the big boys yet and Paddy only a couple of games, but very happy with the draft!
Personally i think Saints just outside top 3.. just! Yet to see Goddard yet and McCartin was probably rushed into those two games but is doing well at VFL level.

Forgot to mention our Rookie list player in Aaron Vandenberg who was playing some seriously impressive footy before his hammy injury. Has actually been a big loss for us in terms of hardness and ball winning ability. Hopefully back next week or the week after.

One of Jones's grabs shows up here as the no. 1 highlight of the week but have a look at Fields' kick also at no. 1.
This torp aside, he's one of the best kicks in the AFL system as things stand. 1st year rookie but may get a game soon.

Dad, Neville was one of the best kicks I've ever seen.

Degoey and Maynard look good too. Great draft for Collingwood.

Quietly happy with Essendons also. Langford/Laverde both showing alot

Lot of Drafts look good.

Could be 1 of the Strongest Draft since probably the 2008 Draft?

Hine did a really good job with the 1st 3 Picks and Abbott has looked good at VFL Level as well

Lot of Drafts look good.

Could be 1 of the Strongest Draft since probably the 2008 Draft?

Hine did a really good job with the 1st 3 Picks and Abbott has looked good at VFL Level as well

Will take a few more years for me to agree to that, but alot have done well in their first year

Will take a few more years for me to agree to that, but alot have done well in their first year

True be few more years to have a Better Idea but Rookie Seasons for kids have been Promising

Paddy-Mac had by far his best game for us today, in conditions that were far from ideal, with 9 marks (2 contested), 14 possies, 6 inside 50's and a goal. You can also see already how good he is at bringing any ball he doesn't mark down right at his feet, which gives him the chance to get the crumb himself, or for the likes of Lonie to get the crumb. A big step forward for him today.

14 possies and 5 marks for Goddard as well, despite only playing 68% of the game.

At this stage I think Collingwood have to be the winner. De Goey is already clearly in our best 22, Maynard has been really good the last couple of weeks, and Moore took some big pack marks, kicked 5 yesterday and is looking good to be the best key position player of this draft. Also Mason Cox who is our 7ft international rookie has improved a ridiculous amount and looking really solid inthe VFL. So much of it has to do with luck though, without f/s I'd say we would be mid field in this draft.

Brayshaw, Alex Neal-bullen, Stretch, Vandenberg Harmes have all showed this year that they will be qaulity AFL players for us in the future. Add Petracca on top of Hogan and there is alot to look forward to.

At this stage I think Collingwood have to be the winner. De Goey is already clearly in our best 22, Maynard has been really good the last couple of weeks, and Moore took some big pack marks, kicked 5 yesterday and is looking good to be the best key position player of this draft. Also Mason Cox who is our 7ft international rookie has improved a ridiculous amount and looking really solid inthe VFL. So much of it has to do with luck though, without f/s I'd say we would be mid field in this draft.
I think the Saints have this draft coverd now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot find the 2013 draft thread but north did very well in the period:

Picked up Trent Dumont, Ben Brown and Luke McDonald via the draft
Picked up Robin Nahas & Nick Dal Santo via FA
Picked up Joel Tippet & Kayne Turner via rookie draft

You could probably argue Joel Tippet didnt work out but he cost us nothing AND played a good role as fill in last year.

Without going through stat by stat, besides Anthony Miles Richmond had a stinker (although 2013 draft pretty much too early to tell)

I cannot find the 2013 draft thread but north did very well in the period:

Picked up Trent Dumont, Ben Brown and Luke McDonald via the draft
Picked up Robin Nahas & Nick Dal Santo via FA
Picked up Joel Tippet & Kayne Turner via rookie draft

You could probably argue Joel Tippet didnt work out but he cost us nothing AND played a good role as fill in last year.

Without going through stat by stat, besides Anthony Miles Richmond had a stinker (although 2013 draft pretty much too early to tell)

How about comparing the 2014 draft. Which players have debuted and look good for your mob in your opinion?
For us Corey Ellis looks promising, Menadue has some tools, still needs some work in the gym. Drummond unfortunately did his knee 1st game. Big Mackenzie will need some time. Couple of others still need game time/getting over injuries. But I'm confident there's a few there that will step up.

Brayshaw, Alex Neal-bullen, Stretch, Vandenberg Harmes have all showed this year that they will be qaulity AFL players for us in the future. Add Petracca on top of Hogan and there is alot to look forward to.

I think the Saints have this draft coverd now.
Harmes will be lucky to not be delisted imo.

Eagles have done well, not amazing though. Shitload of injuries.

Duggan looks great, but so do most high picks. Now out for the rest of the year.

Lamb has shown a bit, but jury out. Battled injuries.

Nelson has shown he's capable, done a lot in his first year.

Cavka only played a couple of WAFL games, season ruined by injury.

Waterman started the year well but it's been non-stop injury and illness.

How about comparing the 2014 draft. Which players have debuted and look good for your mob in your opinion?
For us Corey Ellis looks promising, Menadue has some tools, still needs some work in the gym. Drummond unfortunately did his knee 1st game. Big Mackenzie will need some time. Couple of others still need game time/getting over injuries. But I'm confident there's a few there that will step up.

Our 1st 3 picks in the draft all have season ending injuries. Our win was getting Higgins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back