Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Do not re write history mate. Cyril was rated as a good small prospect with potential like Rioli now, but that was it. names taken after him, Selwood, Rance, Lobe, and Ward. Bottom line, you did what we did, chose the best available at your pick that addressed a need, we did the same.

Those names taken after him don't prove that he wasn't the best talent at the time, he's been better over his career than all those players.

Who is saying Rioli was picked as a short term fix ?

This was earlier in the thread. Richmond supporters argued that they were happy to just go into the draft on a needs basis, and that Daniel Rioli was taken at Pick 15 with that in mind.

Those names taken after him don't prove that he wasn't the best talent at the time, he's been better over his career than all those players.

This was earlier in the thread. Richmond supporters argued that they were happy to just go into the draft on a needs basis, and that Daniel Rioli was taken at Pick 15 with that in mind.

There is something about Daniel Rioli, I can see why they drafted him. Rioli name has created its own legacy in the AFL

Clubs nowadays get excited when they see the names Pickett, Rioli, Jetta in the drafts

Tabener - can't see it
Apeness - can't get on the park.
Hannath - useless.
Griffen - don't even get me started
Clarke - is one of the worst players in the AFL.

Dawson - serviceable
Pav - past it but plays out of necessity
Johnson - nearing the end, takes more responsibility now post Mcpharlin
Pearce - looks really good - need about 4 more of him

Fyfe - needed in the middle
Rucks are overrated besides finals. Griffen and Clarke are good enough to help nurse Sandi through until finals. They can replace him when he's truly finished. I wouldn't be too worried about the ruck.

Key back. I'd use Dawson at full back if he can get fit again, Silvagni if not. Johnson CHB. Ibbottson 3rd tall. They are better options than most teams. Without Lake it's not exactly like the Hawks are perfect down back. Neither are Port, Sydney, North. West Coast with McKenzie back are pretty solid, though they might have to change things if they move McGovern forward.

Forward is the issue. I'm a fan of Apeness and Taberner but they are young. I'd have them as 2nd ruck/forward options. I'd blood Alex Pearce at CHF, play him alongside Pav until Pav goes. He'll be better than a speculative draft pick.

The reality is their best shot at fixing their key forward issue is either waiting until the window is well and truly done and then drafting one with a high pick or trade. They tried to trade for McCarthy, they'll try again next year.

\

Rioli was a dreadful pick and purely based on the other Rioli's good season for the Hawks. Very lazy and just outright stupid recruiting from Richmond. They should have recruited Mark Lecras' and Nick Naitanuis' brothers while they were at it.
Based on what?
The guy only became interested in footy in the last 2 years. Has had a meteoric rise.

Based on what?
The guy only became interested in footy in the last 2 years. Has had a meteoric rise.
Not sure if that's true or not (haven't heard either way) but I did hear someone in the media say a day or two before the draft that he had all the talent that you would want, but that the questionmark was on his fitness. So when he got super-fit and smashed the combine the way he did, it took away the main questionmark.

I don't see the big deal with them selecting him there. If he's good enough, then it's a fine selection and fills an obvious need and could be another piece in the patient list build puzzle that has been going on there for years.

Not sure if that's true or not (haven't heard either way) but I did hear someone in the media say a day or two before the draft that he had all the talent that you would want, but that the questionmark was on his fitness. So when he got super-fit and smashed the combine the way he did, it took away the main questionmark.

I don't see the big deal with them selecting him there. If he's good enough, then it's a fine selection and fills an obvious need and could be another piece in the patient list build puzzle that has been going on there for years.

I thought Ah Chee might have been a bit of a reach at 6 tho.

Felt as he was too much of a shutdown type only. I think footy is evolving past that. Alex Rance is the model defender teams will be after. I think the days of Thompson, Rutten type defenders are numbered. Hence why I was against Collins.

I did read that he has turned his game into more of a rebounding type, but he is still shutdown first and has to work on his rebounding. For that reason I did not want to pick him up with our first 4.
Scott Thompson?

Just like to thank the Richmond recruiting staff for picking Rioli at 12 because now we aren't hearing about how Ah Chee was a reach at 6.

Both GC and Richmond took the two players they thought they most needed....reach or not, in that regard, it's not really relevant.

\

Rioli was a dreadful pick and purely based on the other Rioli's good season for the Hawks. Very lazy and just outright stupid recruiting from Richmond. They should have recruited Mark Lecras' and Nick Naitanuis' brothers while they were at it.

If Dan Rioli is half as good as his uncle then Richmond would be very happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dan Rioli is half as good as his uncle then Richmond would be very happy.

If Rioli can provide a contest, snag a goal or two a game, and pressure opposition defenders when they have the ball, he will be a valuable inclusion.

\

So it had nothing to do with the fact he dominated the combine, has some pretty nice skills, is athletic, and has shown a propensity to kick goals?

So it had nothing to do with the fact he dominated the combine, has some pretty nice skills, is athletic, and has shown a propensity to kick goals?
No idea if he will be a good or bad pick but can we not claim that dominating the combine means anything other than he's pretty quick and agile.

Go back and check out the AFL combine all time records and you'll find most players have had average careers.

No idea if he will be a good or bad pick but can we not claim that dominating the combine means anything other than he's pretty quick and agile.

Go back and check out the AFL combine all time records and you'll find most players have had average careers.

I'm just saying that there were reasons he was taken so highly, in regard to the poster who said he only got drafted on name.

Sure, he is a Rioli so was going to get attention, but he is athletic, quick, has reasonable endurance, tidy skills and seems like a quality kid.

Just like to thank the Richmond recruiting staff for picking Rioli at 12 because now we aren't hearing about how Ah Chee was a reach at 6.
Ah chee was recruited off a nice mark and a sob story with his mother and brothers. He has very little upside. Unfortunately, ah chee has been attempting that type of Mark every game for the past 2 years - it rarely comes off and will never be allowed to happen in afl. Ah chee may not even reach 30 games before being de-listed.

Ah chee was recruited off a nice mark and a sob story with his mother and brothers. He has very little upside. Unfortunately, ah chee has been attempting that type of Mark every game for the past 2 years - it rarely comes off and will never be allowed to happen in afl. Ah chee may not even reach 30 games before being de-listed.
Lol i think its likely he hits that number given he got drafted to gold coast

Fremantle are massive losers.
They lost before they entered the draft by not attempting to move up the draft order.

- they have done absolutely nothing in the draft nor trade period to obtain desperately needed KPP's.
- drafted two mids they don't need
- missed out on Collins by one pick (didn't even attempt to move up the draft order)

Mcpharlin gone, Pav, Johnson, Sandi at the end of their careers and with absolutely nothing coming through.
No back-up if either of these guys goes down.

This side is rapidly looking like St Kilda post Lyon.
Although I agree with most of your points, I'm not sure how you can justify Freo not needing midfielders. The second half of the year, without Fyfe in God Mode, their midfield struggled. Too heavily reliant on Mayne to win clearances and Neale to run and create space. And Mayne is no spring chicken. Freo is on the downward swing. Yes KPP is their most glaring deficiency, but midfield depth is not that far behind - and probably pulls level if they attempt to fix their forward-line woes by plonking Fyfe at CHF.

Bennel, if he does a Walters and not a Sylvia, will be a great addition in this area however 4 players does not make a midfield.

They are a bit passive in the off-season though. It's like they used up all their initiative in one go when they headhunted Ross the boss and have had nothing left since.

Both GC and Richmond took the two players they thought they most needed....reach or not, in that regard, it's not really relevant.

It seemed to me that GC have heaps of this sort of player already. I'd have thought they'd be looking at a key forward to replace Dixon

Although I agree with most of your points, I'm not sure how you can justify Freo not needing midfielders. The second half of the year, without Fyfe in God Mode, their midfield struggled. Too heavily reliant on Mayne to win clearances and Neale to run and create space. And Mayne is no spring chicken. Freo is on the downward swing. Yes KPP is their most glaring deficiency, but midfield depth is not that far behind - and probably pulls level if they attempt to fix their forward-line woes by plonking Fyfe at CHF.

Bennel, if he does a Walters and not a Sylvia, will be a great addition in this area however 4 players does not make a midfield.

They are a bit passive in the off-season though. It's like they used up all their initiative in one go when they headhunted Ross the boss and have had nothing left since.

Sam Collins mature age recruit at 22 will slot right into the backline and be effective from day one.

Did Callum * your missus or something? Did not get drafted on the basis of a sob story. Are you really that basic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back