Review Winners and losers of Trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how Essendon are losers out of this trade period. Apart from losing Paddy for unders (picks 19 & 37 was the best we could get from Port direct) we have done very well for ourselves.

Adam Cooney as a plug and play midfielder for pittance with the Dogs paying some of his cheap as chips salary.

Jon Giles as a ready made replacement for Paddy Ryder also for pittance (pick 52)

Whilst the signing of James Gwilt as insurance for the ageless Dustin Fletcher, injury prone Tayte Pears and soon to be delisted Kyle Hardingham will soon show to become an astute signing amalgamating 3 players into 1.

Leaving ourselves with 2 picks inside the top 20 and upgrading Paddy Ambrose is a win in my books.
Ryder is better than all those ins. Therefore you lost

A loss for
Winners
1. Port - average picks for someone who will improve an already strong team
2. Brisbane - Picked up a big name and a talented youngster. Massive for the fans. Nice to get a win over the 'pies.
3. Hawthorn - Frawley for free. JOR cheap.
4. GWS - Picking up Griffen and Patfull will make a huge difference and have 3 top picks. If they can find some goal kickers to support Cameron they could leapfrog the Suns this year.
5. Melbourne - Clark for Lumumba was an awful trade, couldn't attract anyone despite heaps of salary cap room but was a huge winner getting pick 3 for a solid defender (Frawley)
6. Gold Coast - Added Malceski to their best 22 for free. Pick up another good midfielder prospect practically for free.
7. St Kilda - Got quite a good pick for a dud (Stanley)
8. Carlton - got a solid KPP prospect for a pick downgrade. Replaced Waite with a younger verson of Waite (Jones).

Broke even:
Richmond, West Coast and Fremantle.
Adelaide - added some depth.
Geelong - picked up Mitch Clark but lost Christensen. Also missed out on Frawley.
Collingwood - Lost a gun mid but replaced him with a solid midfielder and a very good draft pick. Lost a flaky outside mid (Harry O) and gained another flaky outside mid (Varcoe)
Sydney - lost a bit of depth

Losers:
Bulldogs - Early call but Boyd will have to be really good to make up for losing Griffin, pick 6 and 10% of their salary cap a year for five years.
North - Lost Greenwood and picked up a couple of seagulls.
Essendon: Lost Ryder for less than what he's worth. Cooney won't add much. Giles trade was a win.
a loss for West coast IMO. Needed to be active. But didn't a thing. WCE have now got a lot of holes in their team

Not sure how Essendon are losers out of this trade period. Apart from losing Paddy for unders (picks 19 & 37 was the best we could get from Port direct) we have done very well for ourselves.

Adam Cooney as a plug and play midfielder for pittance with the Dogs paying some of his cheap as chips salary.

Jon Giles as a ready made replacement for Paddy Ryder also for pittance (pick 52)

Whilst the signing of James Gwilt as insurance for the ageless Dustin Fletcher, injury prone Tayte Pears and soon to be delisted Kyle Hardingham will soon show to become an astute signing amalgamating 3 players into 1.

Leaving ourselves with 2 picks inside the top 20 and upgrading Paddy Ambrose is a win in my books.
You lost because you traded out one of your best players for well under market value. None of Giles, Cooney orGwilt seem anything other than short term gap measures and are no bargains.

Clear loss because of Ryder and no. Other significant trades .

Beams isn't a less of a two-way runner because his a more a attacking player. Beams is a less of a two running because he simply doesn't run both ways. Tagging and two way running are two different things. Greenwood can be used as a negator but even when he is simply just winning his own ball he still is more of a two runner than Beams.

Your tears are amusing...... Beams is a better footballer in almost every facet other than negating/defensive midfielder in which Beams is not used in this role because its a waste of an attacking midfield goal kicking weapon. To help you sleep at night you've tried to highlight a weakness in his game and have absolutely nothing to back it up. Pendlebury isn't a two way runner....that was easy.
The simple fact remains, is that Beams has more rebound 50's and inside 50s than Greenwood which suggests his movement up and down the ground, when in the contest he tackles more, which once again highlights his defensive side/mentality of his game.
You reek of sour grapes.....not a good look.

Pfffft. Think how he feels when he sees the pleasure in his dying old mans eyes who can watch both his sons play footy together.
Obviously if you repeat a lie offer enough you start to believe it as fact. Beam's father, although clearly not a well man, is a long way from dying. Try not to exaggerate the situation to score a cheap point.

A loss for

a loss for West coast IMO. Needed to be active. But didn't a thing. WCE have now got a lot of holes in their team

Being status quo doesn't make you a winner or a loser. But good luck with with O'Rouke - he has shown absolutely nothing IMO.

Tend to agree with that prognostication although West Coast like most other sides will always have room for improvement list wise. On a local basis I believe that they are capable of improving more than Freo next season and won't be surprised to see them finish above them on the ladder.

9 out of 11 wins the Eagles came from bottom six teams and 11 out of 11 wins came against teams who didn't make finals. Even if West Coast improve which they will, I can't see them making finals.

Winners:

Brisbane: Beams and Christensen are two young established players who are guns of the competition and not losing an established gun player to get them is a huge win for Brisbane. 9/10

Collingwood: I know it sounds crazy but picking up pick 5,Greenwood,Crisp and Varcoe for losing Beams and Lumumba. Pick 5 or could become just as good as him.Got Greenwood cheap IMO, he is a young gun and any club would love to have him in their team. Crisp is a talent that could be good if developed right and Varcoe is the candy on top. 7/10

Hawthorn: Got Frawley and O'Rourke cheap. Adds depth and youth to our already brilliant side. 8/10

Port Adelaide: Getting Ryder really opens up the premiership window. Their forward line is now a threat with Ryder, Shulz, Westhoff and Mid sized midfielders/ forwards such as Gray, Monfries and Wingard. Chuck in Jake Neade and that is a forward line to be reckoned with. Defence is steady and Brilliant, young and quick midfield. 8/10

Melbourne: Great compo for Frawley (pick 3) and added Garlett which really helps because melbourne were desperate for a dangerous forward at ground level. They also got lumumba to add experience and a bit of composure. 8/10

St Kilda: Pick 21 for Stanley is definitely a win for the saints. Will also pick up Membrey in the Pre-Season Draft to help out Nick riewoldt in the forward line. 8/10

Gold Coast: Got Hallahan(a liston medelist) for virtually nothing and stole Malceski for free to add experience, Skill, composure and a brilliant player to play size by side with Gary Ablett and all the young players at Gold Coast. 8/10

GWS: Got picks 6 and 7. Experinced leader Griffen and B&F winner Joel Patfull and only had to get rid of Boyd(a nine gamer which has potential but not proven to be a gun yet), Mark Whiley, Kristian Jakch and Jono O'Rourke( All haven't showed too much promise or value to GWS)and pick number 19. 9/10

Broke Even:

Western Bulldogs: Got Boyd but paid overs for him (should of traded Griffen and picks 26 and 45 at most IMO) IMO. Boyd is great addition and is the player Bulldogs have been looking for, for years. Decent trade period for the Bulldogs though. 5/10

North Melbourne: Lost a gun in Greenwood but picked up handy additions Higgins and Waite. Not bad by the Kangaroos. 5/10

Essendon: lost Ryder for unders but needs draft picks. Added handy players like Cooney and Giles(I reckon Cooney and Giles will turn out well for Essendon).

Carlton: got Whiley, Jakch and pick 19 for pick 7 which is a win IMO. Got Jones to replace Waite. They have a decent forward line with Jakch and Jones as their main men up forward and also Whiley (a great young midfielder)is a great addition to try and keep a steady midfield on the field. 6/10

Richmond: Did noting in the trade and free agency period but needs to add a speedy outside midfielder somewhere along the line. doesn't urgently need someone though. 5/10

Fremantle: Same situation as Richmond, could've done with a KPF but nothing urgent. 5/10

Adelaide: Did alright and added depth such as ruck man Luke Lowden and Kyle Cheney from Hawthorn. Nothing great though. 5/10

Losers

Sydney: Lost Biggs for a little under and lost AA Nick Malceski. On top of that they got banned to trade players in or get free agents for the next 2 years. Couldn't of got much worse. 1/10

Geelong: A major blow for the cats was Christensen and Varcoe leaving and also missing out on Frawley. They paid overs for Stanley. They picked up Mitch Clark who might not even get through his injuries. 1/10

West Coast: Didn't do any trades. they needed to go for Varcoe harder to try add some outside speed that they need. They also need A KPD to fill the hole that Glass made. They also need a dangerous forward at ground level. They have a lot of holes to fill. 2/10.

Conclusion:

Please reply if you disagree with any of my comments.

Last edited:
West Coast the biggest losers I reckon. An ordinary list which did not change one iota.
Also, I think Geelong have played the riskiest hand in this trade period. Their list now looks slow and top heavy (does Geelong have the slowest midfield in the comp?), but if Clark and Stanley can produce it may be worth it. Will be worth revisiting in 12 months time.
Brisbane, Port, Hawthorn, GWS and Gold Coast the clear winners in trade week. Saints and Blues did ok. Jury out on NM, Ess, Melb and Collingwood.
WB recovered something from the mess but I still can't fathom why they got rid of their coach AND the senior players he was supposed to have upset. Why did McCartney have to leave again? Supposedly he is a brilliant development coach and now the Dogs have an incredibly young list which seems full of talent. Wouldn't McCartney be a good coach to lead them?
Adelaide did next to nothing and only got a couple of back-up players. Fail.
Richmond and Freo, like West Coast, didn't do anything but at least their lists are already in ok shape.
And Sydney - all round disaster really.
Richmond had one more win then west coast andwest coast has a lot more talented kids around 22-23.

Winners:

Brisbane: Beams and Christensen are two young established players who are guns of the competition and not losing an established gun player to get them is a huge win for Brisbane. 9/10

Collingwood: I know it sounds crazy but picking up pick 5,Greenwood,Crisp and Varcoe for losing Beams and Lumumba. Pick 5 or could become just as good as him.Got Greenwood cheap IMO, he is a young gun and any club would love to have him in their team. Crisp is a talent that could be good if developed right and Varcoe is the candy on top. 7/10

Hawthorn: Got Frawley and O'Rourke cheap. Adds depth and youth to our already brilliant side. 8/10

Port Adelaide: Getting Ryder really opens up the premiership window. Their forward line is now a threat with Ryder, Shulz, Westhoff and Mid sized midfielders/ forwards such as Gray, Monfries and Wingard. Chuck in Jake Neade and that is a forward line to be reckoned with. Defence is steady and Brilliant, young and quick midfield. 8/10

Melbourne: Great compo for Frawley (pick 3) and added Garlett which really helps because melbourne were desperate for a dangerous forward at ground level. They also got lumumba to add experience and a bit of composure. 8/10

St Kilda: Pick 21 for Stanley is definitely a win for the saints. Will also pick up Membrey in the Pre-Season Draft to help out Nick riewoldt in the forward line. 8/10

Gold Coast: Got Hallahan(a liston medelist) for virtually nothing and stole McVeigh for free to add experience, Skill, composure and a brilliant player to play size by side with Gary Ablett and all the young players at Gold Coast. 8/10

GWS: Got picks 6 and 7. Experinced leader Griffen and B&F winner Joel Patfull and only had to get rid of Boyd(a nine gamer which has potential but not proven to be a gun yet), Mark Whiley, Kristian Jakch and Jono O'Rourke( All haven't showed too much promise or value to GWS)and pick number 19. 9/10

Broke Even:

Western Bulldogs: Got Boyd but paid overs for him (should of traded Griffen and picks 26 and 45 at most IMO) IMO. Boyd is great addition and is the player Bulldogs have been looking for, for years. Decent trade period for the Bulldogs though. 5/10

North Melbourne: Lost a gun in Greenwood but picked up handy additions Higgins and Waite. Not bad by the Kangaroos. 5/10

Essendon: lost Ryder for unders but needs draft picks. Added handy players like Cooney and Giles(I reckon Cooney and Giles will turn out well for Essendon).

Carlton: got Whiley, Jakch and pick 19 for pick 7 which is a win IMO. Got Jones to replace Waite. They have a decent forward line with Jakch and Jones as their main men up forward and also Whiley (a great young midfielder)is a great addition to try and keep a steady midfield on the field. 6/10

Richmond: Did noting in the trade and free agency period but needs to add a speedy outside midfielder somewhere along the line. doesn't urgently need someone though. 5/10

Fremantle: Same situation as Richmond, could've done with a KPF but nothing urgent. 5/10

Adelaide: Did alright and added depth such as ruck man Luke Lowden and Kyle Cheney from Hawthorn. Nothing great though. 5/10

Losers

Sydney: Lost Biggs for a little under and lost AA Nick Malceski. On top of that they got banned to trade players in or get free agents for the next 2 years. Couldn't of got much worse. 1/10

Geelong: A major blow for the cats was Christensen and Varcoe leaving and also missing out on Frawley. They paid overs for Stanley. They picked up Mitch Clark who might not even get through his injuries. 1/10

West Coast: Didn't do any trades. they needed to go for Varcoe harder to try add some outside speed that they need. They also need A KPD to fill the hole that Glass made. They also need a dangerous forward at ground level. They have a lot of holes to fill. 2/10.

Conclusion:

Definetely don't need a KPD mate if anything that is oneof the areas that we could trade, varcoe doesnt use his pace and hopefullly newman or cripps can fill that hole both are still very young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your tears are amusing...... Beams is a better footballer in almost every facet other than negating/defensive midfielder in which Beams is not used in this role because its a waste of an attacking midfield goal kicking weapon. To help you sleep at night you've tried to highlight a weakness in his game and have absolutely nothing to back it up. Pendlebury isn't a two way runner....that was easy.
The simple fact remains, is that Beams has more rebound 50's and inside 50s than Greenwood which suggests his movement up and down the ground, when in the contest he tackles more, which once again highlights his defensive side/mentality of his game.
You reek of sour grapes.....not a good look.

Two way running and tagging are two different things. Saying Pendlebury isn't a two-way runner just shows how much you really know, nothing.

Losers

Conclusion:

If you're going to claim not getting a player as a negative - then surely everyone who didn't get Boyd, Griffen, Beams etc are losers?

Varcoe leaving is a major blow? Righto.

And we're just assuming everything Geelogn did blows up in their faces yeah?

While for Hawthorn, a first rounder for a kid who has barely played a game is somehow a steal, and paying a truckload of cash for a mediocre player is amazing business.

Terrible and biased opinions.

Two way running and tagging are two different things. Saying Pendlebury isn't a two-way runner just shows how much you really know, nothing.

My comment regarding Pendlebury was baseless, like your comment regarding to Beams was baseless, only difference is mine wasn't motivated by tears. I just did mine for the sake of it. You've got nothing.

LOL We have have KPDs coming out our wazoo - MacKenzie, Brown, McGovern, Schofield for the experienced players with McInnes, Wilson, Barrass, Powell either waiting in the wings or developing. If our team traded in a KPD I would have demanded someone's head on a platter.

Give me a 2nd round pick over Varcoe. Win for Geelong.

Hopefully we can add some speedy players in the draft but Karpany and Newman will be pressing for games next year.

All grades at this time of year are TBA. Personally I think most teams overpaid for players this years (in some instances way overpaid). Given the market was overpaying for players the wise thing to do was to sit it out.

My comment regarding Pendlebury was baseless, like your comment regarding to Beams was baseless, only difference is mine wasn't motivated by tears. I just did mine for the sake of it. You've got nothing.

Have you even watched the two play. Pendles is always running to help the defence. Beams is always lets his man run forward untended. From watching these to play allot I have a good idea on what there strengths and weaknesses are. My comments have base. Your comments are just s**t you've pulled out of your ass for the sake of it.

Have you even watched the two play. Pendles is always running to help the defence. Beams is always lets his man run forward untended. From watching these to play allot I have a good idea on what there strengths and weaknesses are. My comments have base. Your comments are just s**t you've pulled out of your ass for the sake of it.

I have watched all 3 play, Beams is no more less of a 2 way runner than Greenwood is.
The fact is that Beams avgs more Rebound 50's and inside 50's which suggests his movement defensively and forward of the centre is sound, when in the contest he avgs more tackles which once again highlights his defensive side/mentality to his game.
You can try to justify it all you like, The fact is you have an inferior player......wipe your eyes, your tears are a dead give away.

Definetely don't need a KPD mate if anything that is oneof the areas that we could trade, varcoe doesnt use his pace and hopefullly newman or cripps can fill that hole both are still very young.

Tom barrass will be a good KFD in IMO. Give him a couple of years. Slightly biased as he is my cousins son but I can guarantee he is tough as nails and is really driven and smart player.

I have watched all 3 play, Beams is no more less of a 2 way runner than Greenwood is.
The fact is that Beams avgs more Rebound 50's and inside 50's which suggests his movement defensively and forward of the centre is sound, when in the contest he avgs more tackles which once again highlights his defensive side/mentality to his game.
You can try to justify it all you like, The fact is you have an inferior player......wipe your eyes, your tears are a dead give away.

Well he is, you can keep denying all you want but your only lying to yourself.

When did a say Greenwood was better than Beams?

Tom barrass will be a good KFD in IMO. Give him a couple of years. Slightly biased as he is my cousins son but I can guarantee he is tough as nails and is really driven and smart player.
Oh so then we are set for the present and the future.

Loosing glass may set you back a but for a couple of years and guns like him are only once in a generation. As good a Mckenzie is his KPB lieutenant will now be a brown. School filed could do thee role but is better as the 3rd
The governor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back