Winners/losers of the 2014 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel sorry for anyone in the St.Kilda system, Stanley clearly has talent and at only 23 will get a great chance to fulfill his potential at the Cattery. The Saints couldnt develop Opium in Colombia! Petreacca is destined to be a spud.
yeah I know nigh on a decade spent down the bottom of the ladder with wasted top 10 draft picks :mad:

Thanks for the cogent, decidedly unbiased and definitely not troll like commentary

Winners:
Brisbane
Port
Hawthorn
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs

in that order.

Losers:
Sydney
Fremantle
West Coast
Geelong
Collingwood

in that order.

Active rebuild for 60 years right?

I support the direction the Saints are going in, I would like to see them do well however my concerns for kids drafted there are warranted. Individually some of your kids seem ok, whether or not that transpires to on filed team success I highly doubt. Your track record isn't something to brag about.

goldfish post

without looking at the stats I'd suggest the Saints have developed more kids into 200+ game players this decade than anyone, bar maybe the Cats.

goldfish post

without looking at the stats I'd suggest the Saints have developed more kids into 200+ game players this decade than anyone, bar maybe the Cats.

As a main board neutral, I think making someone play 200+ games for the Saints ought to be considered an act of cruel and unusual punishment.

As a main board neutral, I think making someone play 200+ games for the Saints ought to be considered an act of cruel and unusual punishment.

We know how West Coast got there players to get to 200 games. Comfortably numb I hear.

Luke Lowden wins the trade period.

One game in six years with the Hawks after playing fourth fiddle to (at various times) Hale, Bailey, McEvoy, Ceglar, Paul Johnson and Wayde Skipper is turned into a trade to Adelaide to play third fiddle behind Jacobs and Jenkins.

Hopefully he gets a few more games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Lowden wins the trade period.

One game in six years with the Hawks after playing fourth fiddle to (at various times) Hale, Bailey, McEvoy, Ceglar, Paul Johnson and Wayde Skipper is turned into a trade to Adelaide to play third fiddle behind Jacobs and Jenkins.

Hopefully he gets a few more games.

Using that template Giles is a bigger winner, especially with 34 show cause notices reissued today.

Give me our trade period over Essendon's or NM's. Not losing key players and with only a couple of players that would be useful to us being available (none of which nominated us) I'm happy to be not present in trade period.

So much this. Everyone knows we need A-grade midfielders but how many of them were on the trade table this year? Only Beams, who was never moving to Perth and without a top-10 draft pick to offer we'd have to trade out one of our very top tallss - robbing Peter to pay Paul IMO. I'm happy that we have a solid spine intact and hope to shore up the mid through either draft or development of the likes of Yeo and Sheed.

It seems very odd that the media rates our trade week as very poor when we're a fair way off premiership contention while the likes of Richmond and Freo who are right in or approaching their window get pass marks for also doing squat.

Mostly it is hard to say but there are a few clear winners

Brisbane paid unders for Beams and as a single trade this is the biggest win. DOnt worry about them having too many midfielders. When the bloke you bring in the best mid you have, is young and amongst the best few mids in the comp you have gold. Bundy is also a great get

Hawks - Fantastic effort. O'rourke is worth a shot and Frawly can be a major part of another flag tilt

Port - Fantastic cheap pick up who pushes up their flag chances in the next few seasons

Losers

Collingwood - Unfortunately we are the big losers although we did limit the losses with Greenwood and maybe Varcoe. Beams loss is a major hit and Lumumba is a much bigger loss than people realise. In 2010-11 we had arguably the best mid group in the comp and they were young. In 2015 we will have a very thin mid group with few stars. Long way back to the top now.

Essendon - In their position they really couldn't avoid a loss as they are currently a destination to avoid. Ryder is a big blow and probably worse is to follow soon

No one else is an obvious loser to me. Need to wait and see for the rest.

Looking at it from the perspective of:

1. What went out against what came in.
2. Tending to needs.

Brisbane Hawthorn and Port Adelaide gain the most immediate benefits.

Norths incoming come at somewhat a high risk.
Not too worried for them losing Greenwood as Dumont may come straight into the mix. #25 could be handy.

GWS could rarely play Cameron, Patton and Boyd together, got some much needed senior experience and reeled in another first rounder.

Dogs are interesting. Players walked for being unhappy including the captain.
Probably could have wrangled #4 and #7 from GWS for Griffen which would have given them #4, #6 and #7 (three very good players) in the draft.
Boyd is big ticket and #4, #6 and #7 may not be as sexy today but could be huge tomorrow. Time will tell.

Sydney were dealt an unfair hand. Surprised they didn't arc up earlier.

Yeah nothing to do with your overrated players.

The players aren't over-rated at all - two All-Australian players plus a player that finishes high in the Brownlow for the past few years. The stat that we lost 11 games by less than 12 points over the past two years says it was coaching - same result with same tactics. Just like your coach.

Frawley is the most interesting trade of the lot

Hawthorn havent done much wrong with bringing in mature age players but both Lake and Burgoyne had the runs on the board- they were both top class players at their previous clubs - Hawkins rated Lake- the best full back in the comp - when Lake was still with the Bulldogs

Frawley to this stage of his career - isnt in the same street as Lake - as a footballer in my opinion- the Hawks have been deadly with their recruiting of players from other clubs - but i think they might have a high price dud in Frawley - it will be interesting how it pans out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back