Wish CTV made a Video like this

morelli89

Team Captain
Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the pre-draft bit did they already know they were going to get Ellis? Whenever they are comparing him to other players they never say the other players name

In the pre-draft bit did they already know they were going to get Ellis? Whenever they are comparing him to other players they never say the other players name

They did not want other Names Mentioned as it would open a Massive Can of Worms

Ricky90

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
They would have had a fair idea he'd be available. And not just him but who else would be available.

But in the video, it's just nice editing to not have the other guy named. I'd say it would have been Sam Durdin. But that's just off the top of my head.

morelli89

Team Captain
Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Great editing in that case haha. I know they wouldn't have wanted to say the other players name I was just wondering how they managed to do it

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
They would have had a fair idea he'd be available. And not just him but who else would be available.

But in the video, it's just nice editing to not have the other guy named. I'd say it would have been Sam Durdin. But that's just off the top of my head.

Duggin I reckon fits the bill and when WC called his name out richmonds head recruiter looked a smidged stressed over it.
Like they (WC) ended up taking their actual preferred pick watch it again and pay attention to Jacksons response when WC call Duggin out.
His expression changes and he rubs his forehead in anguish.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I'd love to see CTV branch out into ESPN 30-30 style docos.

Stories like why we overlooked Plugger, the lead up to 1990, something on how close we were to shutting the doors when Viatel collapsed, the new magpies and just what happened in 2011 (that's obviously still too raw ATM).

That stuff may not be everyone, but no one else is doing it league wide so let's innovate. Especially if we can't do something as simple as live stream a VFL match...

I'd love to see CTV branch out into ESPN 30-30 style docos.

Stories like why we overlooked Plugger, the lead up to 1990, something on how close we were to shutting the doors when Viatel collapsed, the new magpies and just what happened in 2011 (that's obviously still too raw ATM).

That stuff may not be everyone, but no one else is doing it league wide so let's innovate. Especially if we can't do something as simple as live stream a VFL match...

They'd almost definitely lose money live-streaming VFL games, and it's really not that simple.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
They'd almost definitely lose money live-streaming VFL games, and it's really not that simple.

No they wouldn't! We went through this last year though so to go back over old ground is pointless (especially considering that wasn't the focus of my post) in much the same way the extra $1 million investment into our media department was pointless when The Club is ultimately scrapped 12 months later...

No they wouldn't! We went through this last year though so to go back over old ground is pointless (especially considering that wasn't the focus of my post) in much the same way the extra $1 million investment into our media department was pointless when The Club is ultimately scrapped 12 months later...

If you have a guaranteed proof they can make profits off of streaming the VFL live, go down to the Westpac Centre and show the plans to them, because they'll seriously take it on board.

Has The Club been scrapped?

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Pity, I mostly enjoyed The Club. Would have been costly to produce.

In truth I never got around it because there was never the content. However it was a service we had that's now gone. I should add that I'm hoping to be wrong about it being gone as well.

At the end of the day I just find it farcical that we're in a position to film and add commentary to our intra club practice match yet it can't be streamed live nor can VFL. It's the year 2015 figure that one out!

Albert Ross

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2012
Portland, Victoria
AFL Club
GWS
At the end of the day I just find it farcical that we're in a position to film and add commentary to our intra club practice match yet it can't be streamed live nor can VFL. It's the year 2015 figure that one out!

VFL rights got sold to Channel 7. You don't just get to stream stuff.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
VFL rights got sold to Channel 7. You don't just get to stream stuff.

You mean like how the ABC owned the rights last year yet certain clubs offered the service? And I thought it was obvious that "you don't just get to stream stuff". Apologies if my posting read that way, but I'm fully aware of the back room deals needed to get something like that over the line.

At the end of the day if you can't get it going and your up front about why then no one cares, but the silence on Collingwood's lack of VFL coverage is deafening, IMO.

Last edited:
We should've kept that pick we gave to Brisbane in the 60s and drafted Reece McKenzie and delisted Armstrong.
The more I think about the Beams deal the more I think it was all contrived.
As I have said previously, I was told by a Lions BF poster that we were getting what we got weeks earlier than it happened.
Then we "stood our ground" and maybe the trading of pick 60 was so they saved face and didn't just roll over on 2 picks and a player.
That said, I would've liked McKenzie but it was not to be.

Last edited:
Back