Witts go clunkity clunk

Remove this Banner Ad

How good were those clunks, damn Wittsy, that was elite

When your ruckman grabs that long kick out of defense that's a free run to goals.

Grundy has also done that during the season as well.

Grundy>>Witts

Witts showed heaps last night.

Those clunks were awesome - he showed self belief at a far higher level than ever before it seemed.

Reckon it was his breakout game.

Huge positive out of last night, one of quite a few actually.

The blast he got from Bucks has done him a World of Good

I was on the Witts train before it was cool. Been saying for 2 years now that he was going to be something special.
Been saying for nearly 2 years now that he and Grundy would eventually be the best ruck duo in the league by a long way.
You chumps are all just catching up now :cool:

I was on the Witts train before it was cool. Been saying for 2 years now that he was going to be something special.
Been saying for nearly 2 years now that he and Grundy would eventually be the best ruck duo in the league by a long way.

We be chump
Wittsy go clunk

Notice a particular someone that hasn't wrote on this thread giving Witts any credit.

Would be completely different if our other ruckmen played as well as Witts did last night.
Hale and Ceglar still smashed him, despite some encouraging signs.

Hale and Ceglar still smashed him, despite some encouraging signs.
We were winning the overall ruck battle before Grundy was subbed out, then Witts impact in the second dropped and Hale and Ceglar played better.

We were winning the overall ruck battle before Grundy was subbed out, then Witts impact in the second dropped and Hale and Ceglar played better.
They'd also taken more marks inside 50 and kicked goals, whilst leading the clearances at half time.

The signs were promising, he finally didn't look feeble, he was still beaten.

They'd also taken more marks inside 50 and kicked goals, whilst leading the clearances at half time.

Pretty sure Hale and Ceglar kicked there goals after half time, but yeah not arguing against Hale and Ceglar winning the battle.

All our players were beaten, but that's not what this thread is about. It's about the rapid development of Wittsy, and looking forward to his next year of development.

Also, clunk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a little confused with some posters expectations of a 21 year old ruckman, in basically his 2nd season. I certainly wouldn't have expected him to beat a 30 year old veteran, who is also a very competent AFL ruckman, in Hale. Who'd have thought Witts would tire allowing Hale to drift forward for marks inside 50? :drunk:Hale does this well against most rucks let alone a 21 year old.

Witts marking has come along very nicely. Our ruck development has certainly improved over the part 2 years, compared to what it was the previous 10+ years.:oops:

Last edited:
I'm a little confused with some posters expectations of a 21 year old ruckman, in basically his 2nd season. I certainly wouldn't have expected him to beat a 30 year old veteran, who is also a very competent AFL ruckman, in Hale. Who'd have thought Witts would tire allowing Hale to drift forward for marks inside 50? :drunk:Hale does this well against most rucks let alone a 21 year old.

Witts marking has come along very nicely. Our ruck development has certainly improved over the part 2 years, compared to what is was the previous 10+ years.:oops:

I think the main issue is that he tired very quickly, he looked down and out by 3 quarter time, basically stopped chasing his opponent in the fourth. Although this probably has a lot to do with the fact it was the last game of the season.

The contested marking was certainly a highlight though.

This aspect of the game was my main concern with both of those boys sionce Pies always seem to lack that ruckman who can take the mark on half back flank from the kick in. If he can do that and Grundy can also take contested marks around the ground it could be very effective in taking a safer route to goal or taking the heat off when the opposition has momentum.
I was also a bit unsure long term as to whether both could play inn the same team but if they can both take contested marks and go up forward it would make Pies very dangerous.

yeah well I* was the one who rang hine and told him to have a look.

*Not a lot of truth in this

Those stats get overblown by the overall team performance. It's like saying Breust is better than Jamie Elliot for example because he's kicked more goals. Swap them into the opposite teams and let's see how much the stats swing.
Raw stats are a horrible way to compare performance in a team sport

I too have always been a big fan of Witts, not only for his ruck work and kicking but his work on the ground. For a big man his work below the knees is very good.
Don't know how anyone can compare him to Hale or anyone else unless they are comparing at the same age. I looked up at the stats at half time and our rucks were ahead on hit-outs and also to advantage. After half time, the Hawks moved up several gears in so far as the rucks were concerned and we had only Witts and Gualt in the ruck - how can you can you compare Witts and Gault to Hale and Ceglar?
Some perspective please.
Anyway, I know that I am happy to go with Witts, Grundy and perhaps Gault for the next few years than have Hale, McEvoy and Ceglar.

anybody got footage of these clunks? dont really want to put myself through watching the match again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back