Portfolio WLD's AFL Ice Hockey Jerseys (Now with more leagues!)

Remove this Banner Ad

WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New York Rangers, Phoenix Coyotes
Well I just wrapped up my crossover series going in the other direction, NHL to footy, so of course it's only natural that I now do AFL to hockey. Obviously, I love footy and the design elements that go into making the teams' identities, but as a non-Australian, I'm looking forward to all of your feedback, and counting on you guys to let me know if something I've put together seems like it would be just pure blasphemy for a team. The vast differences between guernsey design and hockey jersey design is allowing for some very fun creativity, so my philosophy has been to take just one or two major elements and find unique, maybe unexpected ways to translate them to hockey; I definitely want to make them look like hockey teams, not football teams, but nevertheless if something I've put together is just wrong on every level imaginable, by all means speak up and I'll try again!

A quick primer on hockey jerseys, for those who aren't familiar: Rather than one main jersey and a clash or two, every team has a dark jersey and a white jersey; in the modern NHL, the dark is worn for home games and the white is worn for away games. For most teams, home and away jerseys follow the same, or at least a similar, design template, with colors just switched around as necessary. Currently, about two-thirds of the league's teams also have third, or alternate, jerseys, which tend to have very different designs, logos, and/or colors. Some third jerseys are crazy and modern, some are traditional and heritage-inspired, but all are different from the team's usual look. For my designs here, I've given every team a third jersey, just for fun. (Also worth noting, if you're curious: Home and away jerseys share the same pants and gloves, while a third jersey may or may not introduce a new design for those uniform elements, as well.)

Also, unlike in my NHL-to-footy portfolio, with fewer teams and with you all much more familiar with them all, I'll let you guys dictate in your comments the order in which I'll present them, as I've seen done in a few other portfolios. Also, unlike last time, I don't have them all created in advance, so it might be some time between concepts, though my goal is for it to never be more than a week.

Table of Contents:

Football

Rugby
NRL

Super Rugby
Melbourne Rebels
Western Force

Soccer
EPL
Aston Villa
Manchester City

Other Soccer Teams
Rockdale Ilinden FC

Last edited:

WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Like I said, the order of the teams will be up to you guys in the comments, but I figure it makes sense to kick the portfolio off with the reigning premiers.

HawthornHome_zps0a9e4fdf.png

HawthornAway_zps03ac3caf.png

HawthornAlt_zps8cd2d9b9.png

Last edited:

WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Craegus nailed it. It's the offseason, so rosters are obviously in flux a little bit, but I'm doing my best to put the captains and vice-captains on the jerseys, just to make sure that I'm able to show the fonts for the C and A.

So would you like me to post one of those two clubs next, Bryce_Jersey?

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
Craegus nailed it. It's the offseason, so rosters are obviously in flux a little bit, but I'm doing my best to put the captains and vice-captains on the jerseys, just to make sure that I'm able to show the fonts for the C and A.

north melbourne and st. kilda. would look great with lace up necks.
timmy
ps some heritage jerseys would be great too.

Apr 23, 2012
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints

Yeah, please. Either one would be great!

WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Love these. Interesting choice for the alternates though, I would've gone Mitch ;)

Would definitely buy one if they were real.

Thanks, TJ! What do you mean by "gone Mitch"? (Forgive my ignorance!) I'd certainly be interested in taking another stab at the Hawks' alternate if this is something I end up being inspired by.

GWS Giants will be ready very soon!

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Thanks, TJ! What do you mean by "gone Mitch"? (Forgive my ignorance!) I'd certainly be interested in taking another stab at the Hawks' alternate if this is something I end up being inspired by.

GWS Giants will be ready very soon!
Sam "Mitch" Mitchell as one of the players names used. ??

WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Sam "Mitch" Mitchell as one of the players names used. ??

Ahhh, that makes sense! I thought it was some obscure, slang reference to an old guernsey design or something that only folks familiar with the history of the game would understand.

Anyways, next concept!

GWSHome_zpsb4aebff3.png

GWSAway_zpsf7812248.png

GWSAlt_zpsfc565793.png

What team next?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh, that makes sense! I thought it was some obscure, slang reference to an old guernsey design or something that only folks familiar with the history of the game would understand.

Anyways, next concept!

GWSHome_zpsb4aebff3.png

GWSAway_zpsf7812248.png

GWSAlt_zpsfc565793.png

What team next?

Nice job, I'll say Carlton. I reckon you could do a great job with them.

TJ1996

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EFFC, Blackhawks, Cubs, Bears
On GWS' jerseys, how would double digit numbers work? Would there be a single stripe through each number or one continuous stripe through both? These things come to me at 2am.

WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
On GWS' jerseys, how would double digit numbers work? Would there be a single stripe through each number or one continuous stripe through both? These things come to me at 2am.

I did think through that, actually; it just happened that the Giants' captains and vice-captain all have single-digit numbers. In the full set of numbers, 0-9, each number would all have the same diagonal stripe, regardless of whether they were on their own or paired with a second digit. I figured that the stripe doesn't affect legibility as it is now, but if it were centered on a two-digit number, it might end up extending too far up or down and make it more difficult to read. Additionally, if these were actual, real, physical jerseys, it'd be logistically difficult (and expensive!) to manufacture and sew on all those numbers with differently-placed stripes for all the various combinations. The equipment managers have enough on their plates as it is!

Last edited:

TJ1996

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EFFC, Blackhawks, Cubs, Bears
I don't know how Detroit, Colorado and NYR's equipment managers cope with the fancy arched names. Every letter would have to be made from scratch.
Man I wish I could care about Detroit enough to feel sorry for their equipment managers. I'm sure they have a program for it, but it'd take a lot of work, especially for the longer names which require thinner letters and more curvature. "Nash" and "Lundqvist" are great examples of that for the Rangers.

WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The arched nameplates are a beautiful look, but I do not envy those equipment managers one bit... I'm surprised that the Red Wings are the only ones of the three who nix the curved nameplates during the preseason!

Alright, here's the navy blues, the old dark navy blues:

CarltonHome_zps94994894.png

CarltonAway_zps01b14a61.png

CarltonAlt_zpsa97ecb20.png

What team next?

WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Alright, Bulldogs are done! The creation of jerseys is going to be slowing down a bit for the next few weeks, due to the holidays and the traveling that comes with them, but I'll find time to work on designing and posting when I can, and if there's any discussion or questions, I'll still be checking in fairly often to take part in that.

WesternBulldogsHome_zps8717bafb.png

WesternBulldogsAway_zpsed66d929.png

WesternBulldogsAlt_zps84384cad.png

What team next?

Last edited:

TheDoctor11

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers
I'd be pretty keen to see what you can do with Adelaide.

Guessing you've based the Bombers kits on the Ducks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back