News Women in Gaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Case closed. I will share this on FB so my feminist auntie can have a read and maybe shut the **** up for once. She thought she was an expert on gaming because she could link some articles, refused to acknowledge that it included mobile games. Then ranted about how female gamers had to play as male characters even after I pointed out that I know of many male gamers who play as female characters.
Indeed, one anecdote is worth 1,000 survey data points.

:rolleyes:

What reaction did you expect when the mental maturity of the sub genre is around 14?

Stay Strong my Otaku brothers, Filthy Call of Duty And the last of us Casuals will not effect the next Dark Souls and Ikaruga games.
I think I am even below that rung on the ladder, being a CS:GO player :(

Most of us who were the first mainstream gamers grew up with a notion of what gaming is. It's paying $100, and committing most of your mental energy to completing that game and buying all the related shirts/board games etc connected to it.

As an avid sports gamer, the 'real' way to play sports games are a purely offline franchise mode. That's what I grew up with. Now Im a bit put off by Ultimate teams/my players/my teams/microtransactions/always online servers etc.

97.72% of this stuff is undeniably motivated by sexism; but a small part of driven by the sense that gaming culture is irrevocably changing, and will continue to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.newstatesman.com/laurie-penny/on-nerd-entitlement-rebel-alliance-empire

Like Aaronson, I was terrified of making my desires known- to anyone. I was not aware of any of my (substantial) privilege for one second - I was in hell, for goodness' sake, and 14 to boot. Unlike Aaronson, I was also female, so when I tried to pull myself out of that hell into a life of the mind, I found sexism standing in my way. I am still punished every day by men who believe that I do not deserve my work as a writer and scholar. Some escape it's turned out to be.

Feminism, however, is not to blame for making life hell for "shy, nerdy men". Patriarchy is to blame for that. It is a real shame that Aaronson picked up Andrea Dworkin rather than any of the many feminist theorists and writers who manage to combine raw rage with refusal to resort to sexual shame as an instructive tool. Weaponised shame - male, female or other - has no place in any feminism I subscribe to.

Most of us who were the first mainstream gamers grew up with a notion of what gaming is. It's paying $100, and committing most of your mental energy to completing that game and buying all the related shirts/board games etc connected to it.
You got t-shirts??? Pampered little... :mad:

You got t-shirts??? Pampered little... :mad:
Yep, really expensive ones. Although this stopped winning social currency amongst peers about 12 years before I realised.

The thing I find damning about the Sarkesian backlash, is how utterly angry they are at her. She presents a very a very conventional and orthodox feminist perspective. She's no radical. She's not spewing fireballs at men. She presents some fairly prosaic criticisms of games from an orthodox feminist perspective in a measured tone. What is there to get angry at?

Are you telling me these dudes are getting red in the face angry about some inconsistencies in her arguments? Or about her lack of rigour in attributing other sources?

As an avid sports gamer, the 'real' way to play sports games are a purely offline franchise mode. That's what I grew up with. Now Im a bit put off by Ultimate teams/my players/my teams/microtransactions/always online servers etc.

97.72% of this stuff is undeniably motivated by sexism; but a small part of driven by the sense that gaming culture is irrevocably changing, and will continue to do so.

Huh?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back