News Women in Gaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaming is changing in lots of ways, and gamers are expressing this angst.

My point was that not all gamer anger about how games are heading isnt purely motivated by sexism.

So it is?

Apologies, I'm still struggling here. The 97.72% of stuff that you referred to is gamer angst, is that correct?

So it is?

Apologies, I'm still struggling here. The 97.72% of stuff that you referred to is gamer angst, is that correct?
All good it was just a stream of consciousness post.

Gaming is changing. We're angsty. Some of us angsty about the changing economic models, others are angsty about women entering gaming. That's what Im saying in a nutshell.

All good it was just a stream of consciousness post.

Gaming is changing. We're angsty. Some of us angsty about the changing economic models, others are angsty about women entering gaming. That's what Im saying in a nutshell.

Fair enough.

If I have any gamer angst it'd be related to the former part of your post and the online/DLC crap. The latter probably comes from a mixture of immaturity and the individual gamers lack of social ability and resulting resentment of females.

Do you know anyone who is "angsty about women entering gaming?" I don't know anyone who suffers from this issue. Do you think this train of thought is mainly about in isolated teenagers? I just struggle to believe that this is a real thing, there is no logic behind it.

Gamergate. All of it.

Or read the previous thread on this topic.

Oh what a lot of s**t. How many times do you need to be proven wrong on this subject. Not all of gamergate hates women, there's the trolls who threaten to kill some women but that's been from both sides, which again you know that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched one of Anita Sarkesian's videos for the first time today. Don't agree with all of her points but I'm not going to send death threats to someone who has different views and opinions than me.

If people really want to fight corruption and lack of ethics in games journalism, they shouldn't be under the banner of gamergate IMO. If this is really important why go under such an unorganised movement that not only started because of Zoe Quinn's ex but also still contains a portion of misogynistic people who don't care about ethics. Rightly or wrongly, it's quite easy for people, businesses/corporations, websites and journalists to ignore your cause and dismiss it because of the portion under the same name who are just sending threats. Fighting against lack of ethics under the gamergate banner seems like fighting with one hand tied behind your back tbh.

If people really want to fight corruption and lack of ethics in games journalism, they shouldn't be under the banner of gamergate IMO. If this is really important why go under such an unorganised movement that not only started because of Zoe Quinn's ex but also still contains a portion of misogynistic people who don't care about ethics. Rightly or wrongly, it's quite easy for people, businesses/corporations, websites and journalists to ignore your cause and dismiss it because of the portion under the same name who are just sending threats. Fighting against lack of ethics under the gamergate banner seems like fighting with one hand tied behind your back tbh.
These people don't care about corruption and ethics in games journalism.

despite what my own nebulous thoughts on what might constitute a gamer, it's fair to say that the % of females playing games themselves (on pc, console, phone) is increasing. personally, i think this is a sign of something wider, that technology (and social media/online interactivity - some of its earlier iterations on bulletin boards were very much predominantly male populated) has slowly but surely ceased to be the domain of the young (and socially disaffected) male. the fairer sex are going to be more empowered whether some of us like it or not... i can't be the only one that has noticed in recent years the influx of shrill, whiny, middle-aged women infesting the comment pages of news websites like ninemsn. that sounds bad... but, they are moving in alongside their male counterparts, many who already resided there.

i can't help feeling that things like the lack of getting laid have something to do with the outrage. i groan when i read and watch long tedious articles/videos dissecting in painful detail why anita s' made a boo-boo in her critiques. i agree she's off the mark at times and her 'gaming cred' is questionable, but some of the weight and effort taken to critically analyse her borders on well, the type of thing you'd see from a socially disaffected, autistic male who thinks his sheltered little world is coming to an end. her stupid videos got more attention than they deserved.

and it's obviously an implied power struggle, and i do sympathize - i too want to play games where i violently kill people, including women. i don't want the increase in the female gaming population to threaten this - but the bigger enemy will always come from outside the gamer circle, not within it. in terms of affecting change she's much more a lobbyist than a government regulator passing conditions upon the games we play. death-threating a woman because you hate her making points about treatment of women and women in games isn't exactly sound. that's something a belieber would do.

i agree with the idea that it's a conflation of separate issues. shoddy game journalism, and the 'issue' of increased female participation among other gender issues.

IMO the most prescient point that video hinted at (without really stating it) was that many people who play games rely on the label 'gamer' for a form of status.

Let's be honest; too many gamers are in need of a sense of status. Gamergate showed that a sizeable (but loud) minority arent socially equipped, especially with women. They think being a 'gamer' provides that status. Embracing the label 'gamer' shows they need to get some other stuff going on. And what better way to get back at women than to try and lock them out of also being called a 'gamer'?

but do you really think "too many gamers" are in need of identifying with some made up label? or is it just a bunch of dumbass american teenagers spending too much time typing and not enough time thinking? i'm pretty sure a few really dumb kids mixed with media attention blows everything out of proportion... especially in gaming.

i personally have no idea what "gamergate" was, I missed it entirely, I've only seen people mention it once or twice as a thing that happened.

To me you can be someone who plays video games and not be a gamer... I'd typically only use the phrase gamer when it's a major hobby.

i.e if you don't know about gamergate, you're arguably not very into the culture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back