Women in the AFL - initiative to provide a path for female field umpires

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW
The AFL has continued some of the good work around incorporating women at the highest level, with two candidates identified for scholarships at this stage; Eleni Glouftsis and Lucinda Lopes. I was made aware of Eleni's achievements with the SANFL last year - this seems like a natural progression for a no doubt very talented umpire - as I'm sure is the case with Lucinda too.

Good luck to both Eleni and Lucinda, may they be the first of many to reach the pinnacle of their chosen avenue in footy.

Link: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-23/female-field-umps-push

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The AFL has continued some of the good work around incorporating women at the highest level, with two candidates identified for scholarships at this stage; Eleni Glouftsis and Lucinda Lopes. I was made aware of Eleni's achievements with the SANFL last year - this seems like a natural progression for a no doubt very talented umpire - as I'm sure is the case with Lucinda too.

Good luck to both Eleni and Lucinda, may they be the first of many to reach the pinnacle of their chosen avenue in footy.

Link: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-23/female-field-umps-push

Update - Eleni will umpire the Carlton Vs. Essendon game next Sunday (28th of Feb) - great news for her and for footy!

Link: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-22/eleni-glouftsis-to-make-history-as-first-female-field-umpire

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

ilovemeatpies

Debutant
Feb 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Seems like she's a year or so behind Eleni (makes sense, given Eleni's SANFL experience pre-scholarship & age). Most I found was a recent article about her umpiring up in the Territory during the NTFL season, with hopes for VFL seniors in 2016.

Link: http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/loca...k=74518650a6380857364b43459bfe8511-1456460959

I think Eleni will be guest umpiring in Canberra very soon. A fabulous role model and we hope to see the first AFL Field female umpire.

Goosecat

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Mandurah
AFL Club
West Coast
And here we are, Round 9 of 2017, Eleni will make her AFL debut in the Essendon Vs. West Coast match after a run of consistently good performances at VFL level. Well done to her, I hope she has a blinder (i.e. no one really notices her).
I hope it's not considered sexist to comment on an umpire. God knows every other umpire gets commented on.
Unfortunately her performance was actually quite poor. Male or female that has to be remedied.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I hope it's not considered sexist to comment on an umpire. God knows every other umpire gets commented on.
Unfortunately her performance was actually quite poor. Male or female that has to be remedied.
Why does it have to be remedied because she is female? If they are going to remedy umps, could they start with all those crappy male ones first?

Jun 12, 2017
Ballarat
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Renegades and socceroos
To be honest with you, if you were out there on the big stage having to umpire an afl game you would make mistakes too. Nobody is perfect. Umpiring footy is a tough thing to do. It's not as easy as it seems.

Goosecat

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Mandurah
AFL Club
West Coast
To be honest with you, if you were out there on the big stage having to umpire an afl game you would make mistakes too. Nobody is perfect. Umpiring footy is a tough thing to do. It's not as easy as it seems.
Oh I get that don't worry. Nonetheless all AFL umpires must be held to the same standards.

Last edited:

Goosecat

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Mandurah
AFL Club
West Coast
yeah but still they are more elite than what you are. So let them work it out rather than you resorting to abuse them.
There was no abuse whatsoever, I suggest you learn to read. I am well aware of the level, more than you would have an inkling of I'm guessing.
You are pretty new here but you'll learn that comments along the lines of "well they know more then you so don't comment" are absolutely useless. I have no doubt they know more then yourself which would mean by your interpretation you shouldn't bother commenting either. This entire site is about average fans commenting. Perhaps you aren't capable of grasping the irony of someone like yourself making such a statement.

Back