Womens League is needed ASAP

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like you have a good understanding of the women's game. If there was a national competition, what would be the percentage's of top line players in each state?
Hard to tell. It is like mens footy, in that a player can dominate at a lower level, but may not be able adjust to a higher level They have said that SA womens footy is improving, however Cramery dominated the SA selection game, but was average to below average in the AFL game. Goding the SA ruckwomen got pantsed, lost pretty much every tap, had no impact around the ground.

The SA youth girls have improved, and Qld only lost the final to Vic metro by a couple of goals, so that may flow on to the senior ranks. However you wonder what effect the standard of the senior comp has on their development once they get there.

So I would say roughly as it is now for the next few years. 80% will come from Vic/WA, then a handful from Queensland and a sprinkling from the rest of the the country. This will change but it is hard to tell how. There will also be a pull factor for girls who want to take it seriously to go to the VWFL premier division or WAWFL seniors to play for the top clubs. These are the places setting the standard, and girls who do well there get noticed.

Heard an interview casting doubt on whether the stakeholders think 2017 is practical, and they may be looking more at 2018 - 2019. Also, they seem to be thinking 4 teams next year if possible. So they more sneak up on a national comp than just unveil one from scratch.

Yet here we are, dissecting the minutiae of all of them.

Maybe we should ask Chief how the appalling standard of this league is affecting this site?
Maybe we should. It would be interesting to find out whether traffic has increased or decreased for Bigfooty.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3068-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=34807715

Victoria No.1 - to play WA

First Surname Club No
Nicole Callinan Darebin Falcons 1
Daisy Pearce Darebin Falcons 2
Jessica Dal Pos Darebin Falcons 3
Bree White St Albans Spurs 4
Stephanie Chiocci Diamond Creek 5
Emma Kearney Melb Uni 6
Lauren Arnell Darebin Falcons 7
Kaitlyn Ashmore Melb Uni 8
Aasta O'Connor Darebin Falcons 9
Ellie Blackburn Melb Uni 10
Madeline Keryk Melb Uni 12
Katie Loynes Diamond Creek 13
Meg Hutchins Eastern Devils 14
Katie Brennan Darebin Falcons 16
Moana Hope St Kilda Sharks 17
Melissa Hickey Darebin Falcons 18
Tiarna Ernst Diamond Creek 19
Phoebe McWilliams St Kilda Sharks 20
Brooke Whyte Melb Uni 21
Lauren Morecroft Diamond Creek 22
Elise O'Dea Darebin Falcons 23
Darcy Vescio Darebin Falcons 24
Rebecca Privitelli Darebin Falcons 25
Victoria No.2 - to play NSW

First Surname Club No
Jessica Trend Eastern Devils 1
Jaimee Lambert Eastern Devils 2
Kendra Heil Eastern Devils 3
Brooke Lochland Montmorency 5
Andrea Cameron Port Colts 6
Nicole Paul Diamond Creek 7
Lisa Williams Diamond Creek 8
Jade Stoneman Port Colts 9
Kirby Hicks Diamond Creek 10
Melissa Kuys Knox 11
Louise Stephenson Melb Uni 12
Tahni Nestor Redan 13
Nicole Hildebrand Melb Uni 14
Hannah Scott Eastern Devils 15
Pepa Randall St Kilda Sharks 16
Shannon Egan Darebin Falcons 17
Madeleine Boyd North Geelong 18
Katherine Gillespie-Jones Seaford 19
Abbey Tanner Whitehorse 20
Lauren Brazzale Diamond Creek 23
Sarah D'Arcy Eastern Devils 24
Brianna Davey St Kilda Sharks 25

WAWFL VWFL should be a cracking game. All the players not involved in the AFL game, and there will not be that many of them, will realise they are 1 good game out of being drafted.

Interesting to see a few players who played in at least 1 of the draft games in the VWFL 2s, plus a Canadian and a Matilda.

Last edited:
If they wanna go for it then knock themselves out... It'd be fantastic for them if they could make it happen, but I would be sceptical that the crowd and sponsorships required to make it a profitable league could be attained. The AFL would most likely willing to run the competition at a bit of a loss as a competition like this is a great way to introduce more and more females to the code, either as players in their local leagues or as supporters... But there will be some sort of point where the financial loss is considered more than what that brings to the AFL. If the competition could be run at a profit then that is a massive bonus.

So the tricky bit for the AFL is determining how much of a loss are they willing to run at, and will the competition at least reach that point? Because if they are losing more than they consider acceptable they are put in a real bind - Withdraw funding and there could be a serious backlash.

For me personally would I watch the competition? I reckon the attention I give it would be very brief. I've watched plenty of women's football over the years at local levels and the standard is significantly lower the men's. Obviously a competition like this will only improve the standard as the women involved go back to their local clubs, and the competition would also attract more players to play the sport at local level. But it's got a long way to go.

If they wanna go for it then knock themselves out... It'd be fantastic for them if they could make it happen, but I would be sceptical that the crowd and sponsorships required to make it a profitable league could be attained. The AFL would most likely willing to run the competition at a bit of a loss as a competition like this is a great way to introduce more and more females to the code, either as players in their local leagues or as supporters... But there will be some sort of point where the financial loss is considered more than what that brings to the AFL. If the competition could be run at a profit then that is a massive bonus.

So the tricky bit for the AFL is determining how much of a loss are they willing to run at, and will the competition at least reach that point? Because if they are losing more than they consider acceptable they are put in a real bind - Withdraw funding and there could be a serious backlash.

For me personally would I watch the competition? I reckon the attention I give it would be very brief. I've watched plenty of women's football over the years at local levels and the standard is significantly lower the men's. Obviously a competition like this will only improve the standard as the women involved go back to their local clubs, and the competition would also attract more players to play the sport at local level. But it's got a long way to go.

The AFL already fund 5 state competitions and the TAC Cup + the payments being made to the SANFL and WAFL, so funding a national womens comp shouldnt be too much of an issue.

A national semi professional womens competition with the full backing of the AFL Commission could end up with better attention and sponsorship than Netball Australia. IF the AFL throw the full force of AFL Media behind a new womens league, then it will get significantly more attention than it might otherwise have. basing the womens sides somewhere where they have regular access to high quality facilities and coaching will lead to significant advances in their skills and tactics.

Netball is pretty impressive and they go hard as, I just don't think there'd be the numbers of good enough female players to fill more than 4 teams. Netball has 7 players on the court and they've only got 1 team per state in their national competition and if you think of how popular Netball is compared to womens football and it's pretty obvious to see it'll never be a success.
Yep

I played a grade for years, I still coach, and I don't watch the national league, it's boring! Mixed netball is better to watch! Which probably explains why as a female, I love football! My daughters best friend is in the vic state footy team, and I still wouldn't watch! Boring. The brutality of big bodies smashing into each other in footy is some of the ellure, you won't get enough women that can do that, plain and simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard an interview casting doubt on whether the stakeholders think 2017 is practical, and they may be looking more at 2018 - 2019. Also, they seem to be thinking 4 teams next year if possible. So they more sneak up on a national comp than just unveil one from scratch.

If you build they will come. At the moment the standard isn't good enough for a competition but if you start something it will motivate people to get better.

Form the teams now and give two years to develop lists and go recruiting for girls from other sports ie Basketballers, Netballers, Volleyballers and any other sports.

If you build they will come. At the moment the standard isn't good enough for a competition but if you start something it will motivate people to get better.

Form the teams now and give two years to develop lists and go recruiting for girls from other sports ie Basketballers, Netballers, Volleyballers and any other sports.
This is how they have to view it, and is the reason for Gillons optimism that it can happen faster than predicted. There are a lot of elite sportswomen whos first love was Aussie rules, but who didnt follow through with it because they dreamed of being in elite sports. As many of those elite sports pay little or nothing, I think you will see many swing back to footy.

Noted Brianna Davey making the VWFL seconds after 1 or 2 games in the VWFL. A little point being made to all the women playing soccer that they can now go somewhere in footy.

Those sports have strong international competitions and some compete at the Olympics. You think anyone will give that up to play semi-professional AFL for a Melbourne suburb?

Those sports have strong international competitions and some compete at the Olympics. You think anyone will give that up to play semi-professional AFL for a Melbourne suburb?

Its not just Melbourne. Its to to play semi professional in a national competition. Dont troll here. You'll be surprised what some will give up if they are offered a decent wage to play, instead of what they get now: bugger all unless they are ultimately successful. This might well gut some of the amateur women sports over time if they do it properly and stay committed to it.

Its not just Melbourne. Its to to play semi professional in a national competition. Dont troll here. You'll be surprised what some will give up if they are offered a decent wage to play, instead of what they get now: bugger all unless they are ultimately successful. This might well gut some of the amateur women sports over time if they do it properly and stay committed to it.
There are lots of options for sportswomen already; basketball, football/soccer, netball, all have national comps. Even the Jillaroos get FTA coverage and good ratings.

There was a poster earlier in the thread who said the AFL should let the Demons v Bulldogs women's match evolve. If there's support for women's AFL it'll grow naturally as more teams play each other, if not then no problem. I thought that was sensible.
What seems to be happening is the same thing that happened to the AFL's SoO attempt. People trying trying to make it into something too big, too soon and it ultimately fails.

If male basketballers can switch to AFL, then not females? I am sure that their are few female Bilicavs out there.
Not saying they can't, just asking why they would.
I know some players in the WNBL and others who've played in the US college system. I don't know why they would they give up the sport they love because the AFL throws similar amounts of money at them.

Last edited:
There are lots of options for sportswomen already; basketball, football/soccer, netball, all have national comps. Even the Jillaroos get FTA coverage and good ratings.

There was a poster earlier in the thread who said the AFL should let the Demons v Bulldogs women's match evolve. If there's support for women's AFL it'll grow naturally as more teams play each other, if not then no problem. I thought that was sensible.
What seems to be happening is the same thing that happened to the AFL's SoO attempt. People trying trying to make it into something too big, too soon and it ultimately fails.

Not saying they can't, just asking why they would.
I know some players in the WNBL and others who've played in the US college system. I don't know why they would they give up the sport they love because the AFL throws similar amounts of money at them.
Not all of them would, but some would, some are. They would give up the sport they love for the sport they love more, if it gives them the same opportunities. It isn't going to attract women who have no interest in footy, just because they pay, which is what you seem to be implying we are arguing.

If male basketballers can switch to AFL, then not females? I am sure that their are few female Bilicavs out there.
What incentive is there for female basketballers to switch to a start-up AWFL competition? They can make a decent living in the WNBL, a very good living in the WNBA and there are competitions all through Europe where they can make a good living.

I'm more than happy to have a Women's League and afford them the same opportunity as men to play football however, I won't watch it mainly because the competition will be competing with other interests to capture my attention. AFL, soccer, cricket, Olympic sports and US sports are my general followings. Fitting in another competition takes away something from that preexisting investment.

We can start by eliminating 3/4 of the boys club, which is the AFL media.

Watching the ch 9 footy show this morning and it was like sitting in the pub trying to have a nice lunch and being constantly interrupted by a bunch of boofhead tradies trying to out dickhead each other. I hardly watch the show and nly did it cause of the win last night. Had to turn it off after 2 mins.

When we have this type of set up then woman are still going to be pushed to back.

I mean we have Luke Darcy calling a ****en football match..and tbh he is the worst commentator ever to call a agme..yet blokey blokes were going agro when Katie Underwood was commentating.

Australians try to justify thier backward ways, their rampant racism, their inherited sexism..but in their sub concious the age group of 40 - 55 are still living in the 1980s in regards to their white privilage.

Again remove the boys club and things will change.
What are you on about. Multiple leagues is stupid. One league which is open to the best players from whatever race, sex or religion people come from. It doesn't matter. That is all we need at the national level. Game isn't big enough to have multiple leagues at a national level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back