Society & Culture Word pronounciations around Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Finding videos of Australians using the cultivated variation (ala the ABC newsreaders) doesn't actually help your cause. It's well known that there have historically been three groups of Australian accents (broad, standard and cultivated), and that over time the two outer accents have been increasingly displaced by the already common standard accent. All three are still distinctly Australian.

I taught at a tutorial at Melbourne university last semester, the salary/celery accent is out of control in our inner-urban youth. The female students in particular, they would tell me how they lived in 'Fehtzroy', 'Bruhnsweck', 'Culltuhn'.

It's quite a grating accent to listen to - not that it sounds harsh, but it drips with prentense. The young males tended to over-compensate their consonants as opposed to elongating the vowel sounds, as the girls did.

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tuna is a funny one. I say choona but my mate says toona. He says stoopid.

Now that i think of it, most words with tu in it makes a chew sound.

My missus cant say ketchup. She says catchup

My mum and my aunt can't say cutlery. They say something that sounds like cuttle-ree. Does my ******* head in.

Oldies have some interesting pronunciations. My mother in law, and a few other oldies I've heard, say things like "watering" weird. Like when she's been watering the garden, she'll say she's done the "wart-ring," instead of "war-ter-ing." That sort of shortening spreads to a few other words too, none of which I can think of though, unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back