Society/Culture Workplace Bullying

Remove this Banner Ad

TheMightyEagles

All Australian
Aug 8, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
I read some news this morning that came as no surprise to me - Australia is ranked as one of the worst countries for workplace bullying (Link: http://www.australasianlawyer.com.au/news/lawyers-some-of-australias-worst-bullies-192671.aspx).

Bullying is one of those words that tends to arouse strong emotion when thrown around (not unlike racism, for instance). This is because, for example, it's pretty subjective and is used by some people when they have no decent argument and just want to smear someone. So I want to emphasise here that I'm talking about actual workplace bullying rather than unpleasant performance management (although I acknowledge this can be a fine distinction).

After working in Australia and abroad for a number of years, I think that Australia has a real problem with bullying. Personally I had a horrible supervisor for my first year of work and he pretty much used every tactic in the book on me. To give you a very brief example, this included a) giving me ridiculously hard tasks (that senior staff would struggle with) at 8pm at night and expecting it at 8am the next morning, b) pulling me over the coals for an hour each time I did basic administrative tasks like writing cover letters, c) publicly blaming me to clients and other staff in meetings for tasks I didn't even perform, d) threatening violence on a number of occasions and so on, e) calling me demeaning names. I would feel ill every time I went to the office that year and my GP asked me to quit a number of times for the sake of my health.

Now that I am more senior (although unfortunately not senior enough to intervene), I see similar work relationships appear to follow this pattern over and over again. I say "appear" because bullies are generally pretty smart about their behaviour and won't give away much in public until things have really deteriorated. It doesn't help that senior staff generally only want to hear about results and not get bogged down in "personality conflicts", and HR tends to reluctantly follow their legal obligations while holding a view that complainants are just trouble-makers who are making a career limited move.

The truth is I think this is an ugly part of our culture that needs to be stamped out. People have a right to have their mental health protected at work. I also truly believe that if workplaces aimed to protect mental health as a priority, we would be much more productive in the long term. I'm surprised decent people aren't more angry about it. The reality is the introduction of the anti-bullying tribunal was greeting across the board with widespread cynicism in my office. I understand that the Abbott government has watered down its powers somewhat as well.

Some of you are probably reading up to this point and saying: "So what? We all went through it, suck it up." I think these responses are based on two realities. One is that the workplace is competitive and exhibiting dominance and aggression is often seen as a positive trait (especially in Australia, very much less so in other countries). How juniors cope with bullying/hazing can be seen as a test of manliness and character and almost a rite of passage. Second is that human beings are social creatures who tend to view people in the "in crowd" as better and more trustworthy people compared with outsiders (which is often inaccurate).

I remember hearing a reliable story about a school that held a play which was centred around school bullying, and a "cool kid" was given the role as the bullied kid. After the play was showed, his peers start to treat him like the bullied character he played - to the point he left the school. It was a disaster that was never repeated.

All views are welcome on this topic, and sorry for the long post. Thanks.

So I want to emphasise here .

Do you want a cup of cement with that princess? :rolleyes:

Now that the ice is broken.

Encountered in my first job at 15 , group mentality style but also from an older sibling at the same employment. Encountered working in health sector from sociopathic superiors, but also mentally ill colleagues. Seen some from bogans doing jobs in small country towns because there's no one else to fill these gov positions.

Encountered random acts (threatened to be run over by rivals who know I was better money and better work) when worked for DVA and more group style in another important industry.

The most shocking workplace bullying i have seen was when I worked in mental health. What used to happen to clients who complained about it is a mass human rights violation. The people doing the bullying have the power to detain them, have them put on treatment orders and income management.

I am bound by a confidentiality agreement in regards to the most severe bullying I've witnessed.

I will say this, in my experience when there is a strong union presence bullying by management or HR of employees becomes practically non existent.
Depends hugely on the strength of the union and how vigilant and active the shop steward is.

Depends hugely on the strength of the union and how vigilant and active the shop steward is.

That's why I said 'strong' union presence.

A weak union can actually make things worse if they interfere and end up siding with management due to being useful idiots.

By strong I mean dedicated, solid, motivated, educated and with as high a percentage of membership as possible and a good working relationship with the executives and board (and a good record of understanding business realities and balancing that with the needs of the workers to be fairly rewarded)

That's why I said 'strong' union presence.

A weak union can actually make things worse if they interfere and end up siding with management due to being useful idiots.

By strong I mean dedicated, solid, motivated, educated and with as high a percentage of membership as possible and a good working relationship with the executives and board (and a good record of understanding business realities and balancing that with the needs of the workers to be fairly rewarded)
Problem is there aren't many who fall into that category these days. Much to the disadvantage of workers. Many of whom have been conned by the likes of Howard and Abbott into believing they are the workers friend. Who needs enemies when you have friends like that.

Problem is there aren't many who fall into that category these days. Much to the disadvantage of workers. Many of whom have been conned by the likes of Howard and Abbott into believing they are the workers friend. Who needs enemies when you have friends like that.

Agreed. There's a political class and the ALP aren't immune from it, nor are the unions that back them.

If the unions were serious they'd back the Greens imo.

Do you want a cup of cement with that princess? :rolleyes:

Now that the ice is broken.

Encountered in my first job at 15 , group mentality style but also from an older sibling at the same employment. Encountered working in health sector from sociopathic superiors, but also mentally ill colleagues. Seen some from bogans doing jobs in small country towns because there's no one else to fill these gov positions.

Encountered random acts (threatened to be run over by rivals who know I was better money and better work) when worked for DVA and more group style in another important industry.

The most shocking workplace bullying i have seen was when I worked in mental health. What used to happen to clients who complained about it is a mass human rights violation. The people doing the bullying have the power to detain them, have them put on treatment orders and income management.

Haha. I've been at my workplace for the greater part of a decade, didn't quit and I certainly have no issues now. Just wanted to give my story for some context. I just think its wrong how its such an issue in our society, and yet so many decent people seemed prepare to turn a blind eye.

I am bound by a confidentiality agreement in regards to the most severe bullying I've witnessed.

I will say this, in my experience when there is a strong union presence bullying by management or HR of employees becomes practically non existent.

I think I saw in previous posts that you worked in investment banking right? Heard that can also be a brutal field. I think in those dog-eat-dog, ambitious fields, people use any tactics they can to get ahead. Workplaces shouldn't tolerate it though.

I think I saw in previous posts that you worked in investment banking right? Heard that can also be a brutal field. I think in those dog-eat-dog, ambitious fields, people use any tactics they can to get ahead. Workplaces shouldn't tolerate it though.

Yeah but I was a low level employee. Finance was brutal for the unpaid hours and all the wank and w***ers, but when I was working in that industry it was pre-GFC and everybody was switching jobs every 6 months anyway (for more money, which seemed to never end... until it did).

But yeah, people would hang back at for 6-7 hours even though they'd done all their work - just in case someone important walked past the floor.

Need a pretty broad conception and definition of bullying.
Bureaucracies and other organisations routinely retain information at certain levels;denying access to info can legitimately amount to bullying.
It's many and varied in its manifestations and I agree endemic in the Aussie workplace.
I've worked in several industries including off-shore,construction and in a professional environment;all had deeply embedded,systemic levels of bullying but it was in the professional context that the process of mock resolution was most time-consuming,tortuous,unproductive and costly.
School kids love a bit of cruelty unleashed on the weak,as do their parents.

Worked for two months at a warehouse with a very small but almost sociopathic staff. Big boss was indifferent, didn't care for casuals. Next man down was desperate to be friends with his three warehouse full timers. Those three played mind games with the two casuals.Lied about them to management, blamed them for everything and never explained the tasks required. And they all hated each other too. Once the casuals were inevitably sacked the cycle would start again. Well known pasta brand, would be horrified to know what their company tolerates to keep three workers happy.

Yeah but I was a low level employee. Finance was brutal for the unpaid hours and all the wank and ******s, but when I was working in that industry it was pre-GFC and everybody was switching jobs every 6 months anyway (for more money, which seemed to never end... until it did).

But yeah, people would hang back at for 6-7 hours even though they'd done all their work - just in case someone important walked past the floor.

Correct, finance is brutal and bullying or intimidation is rife.
It's not so much physical or verbal bullying, more so psychological and the continual pressure to outperform targets. Phrases like "consequences", "minimum standards" etc are commonplace.
I have a team that, I admit, I use these phrases with weekly. It comes down the line and eventually, if you can absorb the pressure, you become part of the chain.
I've lost many colleagues over the last 5 years to other banks and to completely different industries.
I've gone through difficult years when I've wanted to get out and have interviewed for other jobs, only to be bound by the wage. The finance industry wage is excellent, that's why the long hours are almost expected.
Sometimes I can feel myself become almost robotic in my expectations of my staff, I have no doubt that they have felt extreme pressure because of my expectations. Subsequently, when I've complained to my Manager about unrealistic expectations I've been told "if you can't do it I'll find someone who can".
* that, I've got a family to support so ultimately I will get my staff to perform at the level expected to keep me in a job and my family well looked after. As the previous poster said, finance is definitely dog-eat-dog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im glad this is being discussed as i thoght i must be imagining it

Govt department took two years to do a restructure so all the appropriate processes could be seen to be done properly.
But in the end you could have predicted the individual winners and losers, there were no surprises uncovered by the process, so the time taken just prolongued the agony for the losers.

Three months after the process ended, another process including the forced movement of jobs to a country centre started off. This one could take even longer.(due to relocation logistics)
There was zero in fact negative benefit from the restructure. But we still get faux campaigns about innovation and unlocking our people strengths and total s**t like that, when the workforce is preoccupied wit conserving their jobs, and trying to gratiate themselves in what the percieve to be the real pecking order

So dont think bullying is just a bunch of unchecked psychos, its institutionalised and can be perptrated on an entire workforce.

I should mention I personally moved into a role as part of the restructure where i percieve myself to be much more useful. But it should just happen, it shouldnt need these sort of things, in my mind they might have a few wins, but lose a hell of a lot more in making the workforce dig in

Last edited:
I have noticed sporadically from time to time at different workplaces. It can be hard to identify as what one person may be grossly offended by and upset about others it will be water off a duck's back. Although in principle I do agree with the OP in there is a bad culture at many Australian workplaces where those who yell the loudest, stamp there feet and are aggressive tend to get their way. Also a lot of management tend to take the rule with an iron fist approach. In a lot of industries yelling or the bake is generally seen as just part of the job and dealing with the higher ups. Would be confronting for those not used to it. You definitely need a hard edge at times.

Agreed. There's a political class and the ALP aren't immune from it, nor are the unions that back them.

If the unions were serious they'd back the Greens imo.

Which would never happen on the basis that the Greens would like to get rid of heavily unionised industries - like deforrestation in Tassie.

Funnily enough I've seen the opposite

Bullying only occured when the union forced their way in. We had a very peaceful workplace and everyone got along, then the union came in and created an "us vs them" mentality and workers who didnt join the union were often bullied and pressured by the workers who did join, and often harrassed by the union employees when on sight to join

I opted not to join, the fees were too high and our working conditions were already very favourble, I couldnt imagine what the union had intended on improving or changing. In the end they asked for 3 breaks a day and it failed, they werent really seen after their invasion though I assumed the joined members were still paying the fees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back