World Cup Crowds Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Got some serious doubts about these crowd figures.

India vs Pakistan at AO being listed as 41k, there were some spare seats, but almost 12k below capacity? I don't think so.

NZ vs Aus at Eden Park only 40k? There's no way there was 10k empty seats there either.

And only 39k at the SCG for Aus vs SL, again looked way more than that.

Either they are significantly understating the crowds or the capacities the ICC listed for the stadiums were way too high.

Got some serious doubts about these crowd figures.

India vs Pakistan at AO being listed as 41k, there were some spare seats, but almost 12k below capacity? I don't think so.

NZ vs Aus at Eden Park only 40k? There's no way there was 10k empty seats there either.

And only 39k at the SCG for Aus vs SL, again looked way more than that.

Either they are significantly understating the crowds or the capacities the ICC listed for the stadiums were way too high.

Yeah I agree, not sure what's going on there.

Adelaide Oval's capacity is only 47,000 for the World Cup. (53,500)

The SCG is only 44,000 (48,000)
MCG 90,000 (100,000)
Eden Park 41,000 (44,000)

This is due to the ICC not selling many standing room tickets as usual and sight screens etc, also it seems that some of the corporate boxes are also not sold for the big games.

Went to the SA v India game and the atmosphere was nothing like I have ever seen at an Australian sporting event, it put even the AFL to shame, 83,000 India and about 2,500 SA fans , but geez the Indians made it sound like there were 100,000 fans in the MCG. It was like a wall of sound, can't really describe it, was amazing and I am lucky to have been there.

Do we have the total crowd figure for the tournament? All I know so far is that it was in excess of 1 million.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back