SF: Ingles - Simmons
SG: Dellavedova - Newley - Goulding
PG: Exum - Gibson

Andersen, Baynes, Jawai
Bairstow, Motum
Newley, Broekhoff
Ingles,Goulding, Exum
Dellavedova, Gibson

Picked 11 of the 12 but missed Broekhoff instead of Simmons.

It's been announced:

the 2014 Boomers World Cup team

C: Andersen, Baynes, Jawai
PF: Bairstow, Motum
SF: Newley, Broekhoff
SG: Ingles,Goulding, Exum
PG: Dellavenova, Gibson

Disappointed with no Ben Simmons but he's only 17 and has plenty of time. At least we don't have no Simmons but a Worthington running around. Teams look good.
I quite like Worthington.

Why Gibson good shot but not great, 6'2 combo guard, good defense not great.

Martin defense is so much greater defender than Gibson, being 6'4 and playing a major in role in the last 5 grand finals.

Whereabouts? I wasn't aware that Montverde games were available online?

Probably enough to be able to say that you've 'seen him play'

Ftw. I think it's a good decision not to take Simmons. Yes, it would have been a good experience and it would give him time around the Australian team set up, but he's had a massively packed schedule recently. Went from his high school season, into a whole bunch of camps, then onto AAU ball for the past little while. A break might do him some good, because later in the year he'll have a whole bunch more camps to go to, then he'll have his high school season, then (potentially) some invitational games (All-American Game, Jordan Classic). He's 17, he needs some time off at some point.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that he flew from the Peach Jam in Atlanta to LA then onto Australia for the training camp, arriving tuesday night and then training camp from wednesday (a day behind everyone else). He's got a massive future ahead of him in college, hopefully the NBA and for Australia. His time will come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably enough to be able to say that you've 'seen him play'
Eh, I don't think you can say one player is better than another based off Youtube highlights, especially when you consider it's a guy with a whole year of high school to go and who (from what I hear, and the fact that he wasn't selected) struggled at the Boomers camp.

I'll be intrigued to see how much game time Exum gets at the WC. He'll no doubt get more minutes than he did in the NZ series, but as his post-high school experience amounts to only a handful of Summer League games, will he be leaned on heavily by Lemanis?

Good line up. Playing Simmons for the sake of it wouldn't be worth it. He will have plenty of opportunities to play for the Boomers in the future.
I like the Gibbo pick over Martin too. Martin a slightly better defender, Gibbo more versatile.

1984 we took a teenage Andrew Gaze to games, in 1988 we took Longley, Bradke, and Vlahov as teenagers to games and why not Simmions in 2014? I would have thought Simmions has more talent than all the players mentioned.

Good line up. Playing Simmons for the sake of it wouldn't be worth it. He will have plenty of opportunities to play for the Boomers in the future.
I like the Gibbo pick over Martin too. Martin a slightly better defender, Gibbo more versatile.

For me you have offense in Exum, Newley, Ingles, and Goulding. Dellavedoa is solid defender and pure point. Not sure what Gibson would add to that. Gibson is a good shooter, good defender and a short combo guard.

Martin is the best defensive and rebounding guard in Australia second to none. Martin playing in the last 5 grand finals in a successful team means nothing.

1984 we took a teenage Andrew Gaze to games, in 1988 we took Longley, Bradke, and Vlahov as teenagers to games and why not Simmions in 2014? I would have thought Simmions has more talent than all the players mentioned.

times have changed

simmons has plenty of time on his side. and as others have mentioned he has a lot of ball to play in usa. his body is still developing, puberty almost done.

dare say he has more ball to play in the near future than gaze, longley, bradtke and vlahov combined in the 80s.

that's all i got.

Eh, I don't think you can say one player is better than another based off Youtube highlights, especially when you consider it's a guy with a whole year of high school to go and who (from what I hear, and the fact that he wasn't selected) struggled at the Boomers camp.

Well I wasn't really commenting on who was better. Was merely pointing out that that fair whack of vision is probably enough to be considered as 'seeing him play'

Anyone know how the games sans Boomers/USA will be broadcast. Foxtel? Online?

Would love to check out Croatia with Saric and Hezonja, not to mention Canada and others.

Anyone know how the games sans Boomers/USA will be broadcast. Foxtel? Online?

Would love to check out Croatia with Saric and Hezonja, not to mention Canada and others.
I'm pretty sure Foxtel aren't not showing it. However, the FIBA website links to http://www.livebasketball.tv/, which is offering a 'Summer Pass'. This includes access to every World Cup game for only $1 (total). No idea what the picture quality and such is like, although it promises "high quality streaming". Could be worth the dollar.

Refer to the media release from BA about ABC coverage: http://www.basketball.net.au/abc2-broadcast-2014-fiba-world-championships/

In a landmark agreement between FIBA – basketball’s governing body – and ABC Sport, all Boomers and Opals games will be televised LIVE* AND IN FULL, free-to-air on ABC2 starting from Sunday August 31.

Additionally ALL games from the quarter final stage through to the final of both the FIBA Basketball World Cup and FIBA World Championship for Women will be LIVE.

“In a huge coup, ABC2 will also broadcast LIVE all the men’s Team USA games on free-to-air television.”

I'm pretty sure Foxtel aren't not showing it. However, the FIBA website links to http://www.livebasketball.tv/, which is offering a 'Summer Pass'. This includes access to every World Cup game for only $1 (total). No idea what the picture quality and such is like, although it promises "high quality streaming". Could be worth the dollar.

Refer to the media release from BA about ABC coverage: http://www.basketball.net.au/abc2-broadcast-2014-fiba-world-championships/

In a landmark agreement between FIBA – basketball’s governing body – and ABC Sport, all Boomers and Opals games will be televised LIVE* AND IN FULL, free-to-air on ABC2 starting from Sunday August 31.

Additionally ALL games from the quarter final stage through to the final of both the FIBA Basketball World Cup and FIBA World Championship for Women will be LIVE.

“In a huge coup, ABC2 will also broadcast LIVE all the men’s Team USA games on free-to-air television.”
Just about as good as we've ever had it in Australia.

I'll be intrigued to see how much game time Exum gets at the WC. He'll no doubt get more minutes than he did in the NZ series, but as his post-high school experience amounts to only a handful of Summer League games, will he be leaned on heavily by Lemanis?

Judging by his summer league, not sure he's capable of big minutes. Looked out of puff every game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back