World Cup prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny joke Matey man, but LukeParkerno1 previously mentioned that Xavier Doherty is a useless spinner and he seems more clued up on cricket than you do. I'm no cricket whiz, but I am smart enough to listen to those who know more about the subject than I do and he knows more about it than you, so why don't you also listen to him?
She really isn't.

I would like to know when this myth of spinners being unnecessary on super-fast and bouncy Australian wickets came about.

I wonder if it was about the time Australia stopped have a decent one day spinner regularly.

The majority of people on here who play on synthetic pitches on a Saturday should understood the value of a good spinner even on high bouncy Australian wickets.

The majority of people on here who play on synthetic pitches on a Saturday should understood the value of a good spinner even on high bouncy Australian wickets.
The sort of synthetic crap I used to play on was new and skiddy and didn't help spinners at all. I think I know the matting you're talking about though, which grips a bit and turns a bounces more

I can see it ending in an Australia v New Zealand final.
South Africa obviously a big chance too but they lack the allrounder killer punch the Aussies got,
Aussies more vulnerable if Faulkner and Clarke do not get fit.
Australia going to have players down to number 10 in order that can turn a game with bat.
That will count even when top order has a day off like they did against Poms last game.
Johnson and Watson freshening up before World Cup is not what the other nations needed.
Kiwis got some serious weapons too but not as many.
However on the final day anything can happen.
India beat West Indies in 1983 World Cup when Windies were clearly number one so not over until it is over.

South Africa have Duminy as their AR, and Steyn and Philander are no mugs with the bat.

Correct but seriously Steyn and Philander are not even in the ball park of batting ability of Mitch Johnson and Mitchell Starc. Not even close. Duminy probably as much as an allrounder as Steve Smith for us but we rarely use him as have far more options. South Africa don't have as many part time options. Australia probably going to have three front line pace bowlers like Johnson, Starc and Cummings, then Maxwell off spin and Watson decent medium pacers. If Faulkner fit he is excellent 4th bowler with ways he mixes up things. South Africa allrounders are not of same ability of Faulkner, Maxwell and Watson. Geez, we could even bowl Warner and Smith if we needed to. If Duminy does not work South Africa in a lot more trouble. We also got Mitch Marsh as back up allrounder so that weaponry is serious to call upon as Dale Steyn can attest. Not sold on Behardien at this level but will be interesting to watch. If Aussies smash Imran Tahir again what can South Africa do ?

My thinking with South Africa is it needs their big guns to fire. AB de Villers, Steyn, Morkel, Amla and de Plusses going to have to carry some of there lesser lights through. Their 4th and 5th bowlers do not scare me and if you can stop de Villiers (not easy) and Amla you half way there.
If you stop Warner and Aussie top order it is not over for us and that is where I see the difference in depth of talent. We got more talent resources to call upon for most situations. However AB de Villers and Amla been in good form recently so they will be hard to stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct but seriously Steyn and Philander are not even in the ball park of batting ability of Mitch Johnson and Mitchell Starc. Not even close. Duminy probably as much as an allrounder as Steve Smith for us but we rarely use him as have far more options. South Africa don't have as many part time options. Australia probably going to have three front line pace bowlers like Johnson, Starc and Cummings, then Maxwell off spin and Watson decent medium pacers. If Faulkner fit he is excellent 4th bowler with ways he mixes up things. South Africa allrounders are not of same ability of Faulkner, Maxwell and Watson. Geez, we could even bowl Warner and Smith if we needed to. If Duminy does not work South Africa in a lot more trouble. We also got Mitch Marsh as back up allrounder so that weaponry is serious to call upon as Dale Steyn can attest. Not sold on Behardien at this level but will be interesting to watch. If Aussies smash Imran Tahir again what can South Africa do ?

My thinking with South Africa is it needs their big guns to fire. AB de Villers, Steyn, Morkel, Amla and de Plusses going to have to carry some of there lesser lights through. Their 4th and 5th bowlers do not scare me and if you can stop de Villiers (not easy) and Amla you half way there.
If you stop Warner and Aussie top order it is not over for us and that is where I see the difference in depth of talent. We got more talent resources to call upon for most situations. However AB de Villers and Amla been in good form recently so they will be hard to stop.

Yeah but AB and Amla are better than our best and in a final (or SF/QF) that means a lot.

If we're dependent on Johnson and lower contributing with the bat we're pretty stuffed

Yeah but AB and Amla are better than our best and in a final (or SF/QF) that means a lot.

If we're dependent on Johnson and lower contributing with the bat we're pretty stuffed

Not to mention Du Plessis and De Koch too...their batting lineup is ridiculous

Nobody ever said we reliant. Just saying it is there the rare times we need it. They are a really nice bonus coming in at 9 or 10. RSA do not have that luxury. AB is great though, I give them that. They should expect a lot of top order success with their batting. Who knows, maybe as good as Aussies in West Indies World Cup where most bowlers never even got a bat all tournament.
No reason not to expect a great final whomever is in it. My tip is Aus v NZ but certainly RSA have a great chance aswell. A side with Steyn and AB can never be written off. Can't really rate the rest as far as winning the whole thing but any could upset these main 3 chances on their day.

Miller is no slouch either.
Amla, de Qock, de Villiers, du Plessis, Duminy, Miller, Behardien, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir

That's a pretty good side IMO.

Amla, de Qock, de Villiers, du Plessis, Duminy, Miller, Behardien, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir

That's a pretty good side IMO.

Morkel (10 overs), Steyn (10), Philander (10), Tahir/Behardien/JP Duminy (20)

Not a bad bowling line up. Imagine replacing Behardien with Kallis? They would go from almost fans to favourites. The question marks over Behardien seem quite big IMHO.

We bat deeper though. Prefer seeing Maxwell/Haddin/Bailey coming in at 6/7 than Behardien

The sort of synthetic crap I used to play on was new and skiddy and didn't help spinners at all. I think I know the matting you're talking about though, which grips a bit and turns a bounces more

Just in general really. The synthetic stuff bounces so much more and hence us Australians should appreciate the higher bouncy pitches here in Australia.

West Indies might not even make it out of their group.

Possibly and it wouldn't be overly surprising. For some reason, I think they can do well and finished 3rd in their group.

Samuels needs a career defining tournament and the bowlers have to be disciplined.

Just looking at the 2011 World Cup table, I wonder how many of us would have predicted the group stages to end up like this:

Group A

Teams Points

Pakistan 10
Sri Lanka 9
Australia 9
New Zealand 8
Zimbabwe 4
Canada 2
Kenya 0

Group B

Teams Points

South Africa 10
India 9
England 7
West Indies 6
Bangladesh 6
Ireland 4
Netherlands 0

We didn't get a Pakistan - South Africa final, which goes to show how unpredictable the tournament and knockout stages can be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back