World Cup World Cup Profiles - Belgium

Remove this Banner Ad

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
You knew this was going to happen :D

Belgium hasn't qualified for a tournament since 2002 and only rightly so for most of that period. Losing finalist in the Euro '80, semi finalist in Mexico '86 and a very entertaining side in Italy '90, Belgians had gotten a little spoiled and were no longer happy with the team just qualifying for world cups. But then followed a decade of darkness with (below) average players which resulted in players no longer enjoying playing for the NT, fans losing interest, sponsors not renewing contracts...

Then all of a sudden Vincent Kompany made his debut for Anderlecht and he looked so talented that he was considered unbelgian. Then in '07 the Belgian U21s made it to the semi final of a Euro, a side which one year later repeated this achievement at the Olympic games. By now there were also rumours about a kid called Eden Hazard who apparently was quite good.

Anyway, the youngsters became full internationals and the NT started to improve slowly. The fans came back, the players were proud to be playing for Belgium again and dealing with the heritage of a decade of complete incompetence, the players and fans ended up celebrating a 2-1 home win over Serbia, which in no way guaranteed them qualification for Brazil, as if they had just won the whole thing. It reflected perfectly how good everyone felt about the NT.

Belgium have been called "the" dark horse much too often in the Anglican press. I guess partly because people like a young and exciting generation, but also because international journalists knew these players well since many of them play in the EPL, some got a bit too enthusiastic, which wasn't helped when Belgium found themselves ranked 8th on the FIFA ladder and became seeded for the WC.

In reality Belgium is just one of a number of teams who if they hit form and have luck on their side may find themselves in the semi finals, but who are also capable to disappoint and get knocked in the group stage.

Unlike last season, this season the team has had to cope with players no longer being regulars at their clubs - Vermaelen, Alderweireld, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Chadli, Defour... Not all of them starters but De Bruyne's influence has been heavily missed this season.

Also since qualifying in Croatia, it seems the urgency/concentration has gone out of the team a bit and draws against Wales and Ivory Coast + losses against Colombia and Japan followed. Or maybe this is a blessing in disguise, putting everyone back with their feet on the ground, letting go of Belgium's "team to beat" status and underline the realisation that this team needs full focus to get results.

My XI

Courtois
Vanden Borre Kompany Vermaelen Vertonghen
De Bruyne Witsel Fellaini
Hazard Benteke Mertens

I don't think they've ever played like this to be honest.

Courtois, Kompany, Witsel, De Bruyne and Hazard are certainties.

Vanden Borre has only just gotten back to a reasonable level. Reality has always proven me wrong but he has all the talent to be a quality RB. Vertonghen goes into LB simply because our best pure LB isn't good enough, which means I've gone for Vermaelen ahead of van Buyten and Lombaerts. I hope Vermaelen will want to take revenge for his season on the bench at Arsenal, while I'd like to keep van Buyten as a backup. He's not fit enough anymore to play every game but he can be an excellent threat going forward who can come off the bench when we need him.

De Bruyne is Belgium's best performer and Witsel is the central figure of the whole team, so unless KDB picks up his usual spot up front (he was tried in midfield this week) there's only 1 spot left which I've given to Fellaini because of his physical presence and goalscoring ability. Others are Dembele, Defour, Chadli... no one stands out and variation is possible, and I guess the in-form player will get in the team.

Up front I still prefer Benteke ahead of Lukaku. He's just considerably better at combining with the other players. Hazard has to be in of course and part of the reason I've moved KDB to midfield is because Mertens has found his form again in Napoli.

Of course matches come fast in a tournament after an already long season so I wonder if we'll even play with the same XI twice. I guess it's good to have the likes of Alderweireld and Mirallas who are good enough to start as well.

My prediction is 2nd round, playing one of Germany, Portugal or Ghana. Germany is a class above us and the other 2 would be close I guess. If we win our group and get into the QF, we'll meet Argentina who undoubtedly will have the ref on their side again. We've been there before.

same prediction for me, i hope they go on and somehow win it, but they won't. the best thing for them is that their best players are young. courtois, hazard, debruyne, lukaku, benteke, kompany (by cb standards). if they were able to sort out their full back situation they would be right up there with the favourites i feel.

on a side note, did you see any of denayer's debut for the u/21's?

on a side note, did you see any of denayer's debut for the u/21's?

I didn't know who he was until I saw the interview after the match. Hard to say, they lost 0-3 with some bad defending on set pieces and counter attack. Don't know whose fault though. Many of our players seem out of form and Serbia had a striker (Mitrovic) who played a class above everyone else.

I feel like everyone is overrating Belgium. Yes they have an impressive squad. And yes they haven't been in a tournament for a long time. But people saying they'll make the Semi Finals or more are severely overrating them.

Looking at the squad I'd say they have two world class players in Hazard and Kompany. The rest are good, but not world beaters.

A lot of people are buying into the media hype around them. But when you compare them to Brazil, Germany and Spain there's a clear gulf IMO.

Round of 16 for me.

In 2018 I feel they will be a much bigger threat. That their best players currently are already fairly young supports this, and there's also Hazard x2 coming up through the ranks (though unsure of Kylian's quality, I've heard he has some attitude issues, maybe Kompany will know more on this) plus Januzaj (?) as well. Going to be a very scary team.

I feel like everyone is overrating Belgium. Yes they have an impressive squad. And yes they haven't been in a tournament for a long time. But people saying they'll make the Semi Finals or more are severely overrating them.

Looking at the squad I'd say they have two world class players in Hazard and Kompany. The rest are good, but not world beaters.

A lot of people are buying into the media hype around them. But when you compare them to Brazil, Germany and Spain there's a clear gulf IMO.

Round of 16 for me.

Can't say I disagree on the overrating bit, or us only having 2 world class players (though Courtois is getting there), or the likes of Brazil and Germany being a class or 2 better than us but you just can't predict how tournaments go. Making it to the semi finals doesn't mean you're one of the 4 best teams. This team is more talented than the Belgian side that made the semis in 86. They can definitely make it to the semis (if things go their way they'll meet Ghana or Portugal in the 2nd round, then possibly Bosnia or Nigeria in the QF), so can England, France, Colombia, Holland, Uruguay and other sides that are not in the top 4 if they hit form and/or have luck on their side. But of course round of 16 is much more likely.

Loonerty I haven't followed Kylian lately. Januzaj may end up going for Kosovo. Perreira (also at Utd) may choose for Brazil if they want him. There's high hopes for Charly Musonda too who's at Chelsea. Plenty of talented kids coming through, but talented kids don't always fulfill their promises. Bakkali set the Dutch league on fire in August, got called up and has had a stinker ever since.

So no Benteke which is going to be quite a challenge. Benteke plays as the ideal target man which suits this team. Lukaku's very different and so far hasn't impressed in a Belgian shirt, apart from a handful of matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep just heard his agent on the radio and it seems to be exactly as I was hoping it was. It was more than likely his dad wanting him to play for Kosovo (or even Turkey). He said Adnan's chosen for Belgium because it's where he was born, went to school and where all his friends are.

and probably because he's been offered a spot in the world cup squad

There's discussion about this now. You'd think no because Wilmots would lose credibility towards his other players if he had promised him a spot, plus Wilmots is not that type of guy anyway. Places in midfield are hard to get by the way, unless he'd decide to only take 2 strikers and count on Mirallas as a 3rd striker. And you'd think yes because Januzaj is with a big marketing agency who undoubtedly has been negotiating with the Belgian FA who undoubtedly have a say in who gets selected.

I prefer to be naive and believe he's chosen for Belgium because he feels Belgian :D

moomba said:
Is he good enough for a world cup spot right now?

That will depend if Wilmots wants to use him central or not. Otherwise he will be in rotation with Hazard and possibly De Bruyne, which is not a bad idea anyway coz if you want to achieve something in a tournament you have to rotate at some stage. Especially Hazard after his season and his current injury may find it hard to play 90 minutes of every game.

When we play Brazil in the final I'd like to see this:
----------Lukaku
Hazard---Januzaj---De Bruyne
-----Witsel--Dembele (Fellaini/Defour)

chef said:
Gee Belgium have got depth in their AM's.

And soon just central midfielders in general. In 2-4 years there should also be Thorgan Hazard, Charly Musonda Jr, Youri Tielemans and Andreas Pereira competing for these places.

It will be glorious :D

I can just see this team falling flat and not making it out of the group. World Cup experience counts for a lot and their recent form isn't great. Would be great if they went on a run though.

I can just see this team falling flat and not making it out of the group. World Cup experience counts for a lot and their recent form isn't great. Would be great if they went on a run though.

I think WC experience is only really important from the KO rounds onwards. But I definitely can imagine us having a stinker of a tournament. A bad result in the opening game, fatigue or injuries, a bit of bad luck, unable to break down a defensive minded team... it's all possible.

Really looking forward to see how Belgium goes - their young talent coming through in the 17-19 yo age bracket is just mind boggling surely going through a golden age wonder if they will capitalise on it.

Mirallas could be in their starting 11 he has a good year at everton

Nah, there's a spot for the 18 year old that's done about 4 good things at Man Utd all season before someone proven at league & international level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back