World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Also if you have someone from overseas studying or working in Australia, who develops an interest in the game, and maybe joins the local club and plays a few reserves games. Then they go home and join a local Aussie rules team (not a rare event), are we saying they have such an advantage over other players, they cannot play for the national team?

If you learnt your AR at a mature age IMO you should be eligible.

I think they take a more pragmatic approach. If you came to Australia as a 5 year old, and developed and played your whole life here, with no connection to footy in your home country, you are ineligible.

I believe that is correct.

Ireland is the interesting one, as there seem to be a lot of Oz based players without a lot of evidence they had much to do with Aussie rules before coming here. Again, does a couple of seasons footy in Australia preclude someone from playing. Its not like they are semi pro.

Maybe someone could do an article on that subject. I don't have a problem with a person who has developed his AR at a mature age. He is less competitive maybe than someone who has started earlier say from the PNG, NZ, RSA or Canada. But, coming from Ireland, a player is in the unique position and be competitive because he may have played Gaelic Football.

The IC has developed from zero to being the tournament for countries outside of Australia.

Yes. Australia does not compete.

The IC is really for the players that have come through the local overseas leagues so that should always remain regardless of other developments.

Yes. IMO that is the case.
Players that have come through their local leaguesa are not precluded just because they
have advanced past their original leagues.

Can't you tell me?

It's hard enough getting consensus on "under half", but if I'm allowed I will because you are such
an overwhelming, enthusiastic and accepting fan of the great gane of Australian Football overseas
and obviously want to spread the gospel truth..

Yes please.

But can you have proof when you tell me? Not just make it up.

Well I can tell you for certain - with documentation at that - that the USAFL for instance has a program that sends US players to play in WA competitions. Its in their 2012 Annual Report.

International participation and development continued
thanks to Tony Fairhead. Tony facilitates the placement
of US players to teams in Western Australia, and with
out his guidance and relationships, the program would
not exist. The USAFL also had two players participate
on the World 18s Team in Melbourne.

USAFL players are eligible to be involved in a
player exchange program through programs
such as Australearn Study Abroad, Notre Dame
University in Fremantle, Western Australia and
the WA Country Football League. Australian
Football clubs provide players with an oppor
-
tunity to spend a season playing with an inside
view of the Australian Football culture. Tony
Fairhead, Director of the USAFL Australian Advisory Board, manages this program

Milwaukee Bombers Make Aussie Rules History

Milwaukee Bombers brothers, James and Jared Brunmeier made Aussie Rules footy history when they were named to play for West Perth Falcons against the Claremont Tigers in the West Australian Football League reserves competition this past weekend. Unfortunately Jared was not able to play as he had an ankle injury. As our first US representatives under the Bombers/Falcons scholarship program,

https://usafl.com/node/13108

I found this an interesting article if you read more at
http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/2006121512344463

West Perth Falcons Senior player Brett Cousins has returned to Australia after six months with the Milwaukee Bombers. Cousins, a 100-gamer and premiership player for the storied West Perth Falcons helped Milwaukee to their first ever Mid-American Australian Football League (MAAFL) Championship. Brett's stint at Milwaukee is the first stage of a two-way exchange program between the two football clubs. Recently, James and Jared Brunmeier joined West Perth from Wisconsin to play the 2007 season. So far the exchange program has been a great success. According to USFooty and Milwaukee Bombers Founder, Paul "Plugger" O'Keeffe, "I hope to see 30 Brett Cousins playing in the US and 30 Brunmeier brothers playing in Australia each year."

Milwaukee Bombers Make Aussie Rules History

That was 6 years ago, and as mentioned in this thread...
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/milwaulkee-and-west-perth-partnership.229821/

... West Perth have no mention of it on their website.

In fact, this site;
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/search
shows no player by the name of James Brunmeier in the WAFL.

There are some articles about claimed appearances;
https://usafl.com/search/node/Brunmeier

Although unfortunately the photos seem to be unavailable. What an unlucky co-incidence...
https://usafl.com/node/13160

I dare say a couple of kids did score a trip to WA 7 years ago, but is there any evidence of this actually bearing fruit beyond that?

That was 6 years ago, and as mentioned in this thread...
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/milwaulkee-and-west-perth-partnership.229821/

... West Perth have no mention of it on their website.

In fact, this site;
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/search
shows no player by the name of James Brunmeier in the WAFL.

There are some articles about claimed appearances;
https://usafl.com/search/node/Brunmeier

Although unfortunately the photos seem to be unavailable. What an unlucky co-incidence...
https://usafl.com/node/13160

I dare say a couple of kids did score a trip to WA 7 years ago, but is there any evidence of this actually bearing fruit beyond that?

see my post regarding the USAFL 2012 Annual report. There is definitely programs for this.

dare say a couple of kids did score a trip to WA 7 years ago, but is there any evidence of this actually bearing fruit beyond that?

"Cousins, a 100-gamer and premiership player for the storied West Perth Falcons helped Milwaukee to their first ever Mid-American Australian Football League (MAAFL) Championship. Brett's stint at Milwaukee is the first stage of a two-way exchange program between the two football clubs."

What better "fruit" than a premiership.

Recently, James and Jared Brunmeier joined West Perth from Wisconsin to play the 2007 season.
They went on to play for the USA in the 2008 IC, obviously better for there time in West Perth.

Really? Would be interested to hear some info about that. Can you provide any more? I don't see how it could either.

when you say not a rare event, do we have any proof? no, no ones saying that.

Indeed.

I'm not debating who should and shouldn't be eligible, it's not like its a big deal. I was just interested in cos's statement that all the players play locally. Now the goal posts have shifted as we know something like half of the irish team play over here. Again, not a big deal in the scheme of things, saves costs etc and why should they be excluded. I was just hoping that the people making the statements could back it up with some proof. That's all.

I don't want to be banned for being a troll or anything. I play in the local comp and have started my 4th preseason. I just find that cos always makes these statements and when called out on it moves the goal posts.

The proof I had is a couple of years trawling overseas footy websites and videos, and events like Brett Kirks world tour prior to the last IC, and coming across many individual testimonies detailing how people had got involved in footy. However, I am not going to repeat the effort of going through all those sites and videos to provide links. You will just have to take my word for it or not. Perhaps you could look up Brett Kirks series of videos documenting his travels.

As an aside, I played a couple of years with a Canadian guy in Perth. He was a teacher doing an exchange or something, and joined a footy club to get the full `Australian experience`. A few of the commentaries I come across mirror this, hence the `not rare` comment. However if I could quantitate it more precisely than not rare, I would have.

As a further aside, a couple of the testimonies detailed people who had gone overseas and taken up footy, and then bought the game to a third country, and none of those countries was Australia. One was a European guy who joined a footy club in the US, then pursued it back in Europe, the other was a Scottish guy from memory, took up the game in a European county, then was involved in a start up team in a third country.

It would seem to be a milestone when the game is being spread by people who are not Australian, and who have no connection to footy in Australia.

Does anyone know where the rules for the IC come from? We keep talking about the eligibility criteria, but I actually have no idea what body sets them

Does anyone know where the rules for the IC come from? We keep talking about the eligibility criteria, but I actually have no idea what body sets them

I found the rules on the WFN site and had them confirmed by the NZAFL. Whether they've been updated or not I don't know.

It would be nice to see something put together officially by the AFL, or the International AFL board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would seem to be a milestone when the game is being spread by people who are not Australian,

Yes, that was a very early milestone. maybe you would like to research exactly when that happenned.

who have no connection to footy in Australia.

There usually has to be some connection to Australian Football even just watching it on TV.
There are people who started playing Australian Football because they were introduced by a friend.
I don't know that there are many who have gone on to then start their own club
if that is what you are asking..

Tony wants the NRL to run the International game. Well, I LoLed right there. What a dumb idea that is. They really only care about SoO and the NRL competition and to suddenly think they'd really care about the International game is, very naive.

Tony, over 400,000 people have turned up to venues for this WC (that's about 399,500 more that will turn up to the IC), the England v Fiji pool game drew 2.2 million people to tv screens in the UK. There have been many excellent games right through this tournament topped off last night by what many people are lauding as one of the best test matches they've ever seen.

Tony, like so many others who continue to bag Rugby league's World Cup, simply don't get it. So what if Australia win again? 11 other teams have helped celebrate the games showpiece tournament. The money made will go back into the game in those minnow countries.

Will the NRL do what's really needed and foster the game Internationally and ensure more games are played? That answer is an emphatic no.

Can we enter an Australian team (not a full strength one) into the IC and possibly draw more support to that tournament? That answer is an emphatic yes.

There have been many excellent games right through this tournament.

Yes, but we're really talking about about removing the mismatches.
Basically a restructure to isolate the amateur teams from the top three.

Can we enter an Australian team (not a full strength one) into the IC and possibly draw more support to that tournament? That answer is an emphatic yes.

No problem with having the winning team play a challenge match.

Yes, but we're really talking about about removing the mismatches.
Basically a restructure to isolate the amateur teams from the top three.

That was already done.

Group C results.

Tonga v Scotland 24-26
Scotland v Italy 30-30
Tonga v Italy 16-0

Group D results

USA 32 v Cook Islands 32-20
Wales v USA 16-24
Wales v Cook Islands 24-28

C/D Group

Wales 16 v Tonga 32
Tonga v Cook Islands 22-16
Scotland v USA 22-8

PNG, Samoa and France were in their right pools, while Fiji and Ireland would've been better off in C and D. Either way two of them were going to get through and those players will have that moment with them forever to cherish.

At the end of the day the tournament has been a roaring success whether Tony likes it or not.

No problem with having the winning team play a challenge match.

Just chuck them in. What's the worst people can do if the scores blow out to 200+ margins? Call it a joke? Big deal. The IC should, IMO, be about the game and ALL those who play it, even if we do downscale the Australian team.

Id like to see them combine Origin with the International Cup. It should be doable every three or four years. Kind of like the old origin carnivals used to be. IC matches could feature the AFL talent available to them under the same rules as rugby leagues world cup (by heritage). Stadnard IC Cup matches could be played as curtain raisers to the origin games.

Division 1: Origin states - all 8 states and territories
Division 2: Current Div 1 countries
Division 3: current Div 2 countries

However this wont happen, the AFL doesnt so much want to grow the game outside Australia as it wants to grow the talent pool available to Australian clubs.

Id like to see them combine Origin with the International Cup. It should be doable every three or four years. Kind of like the old origin carnivals used to be. IC matches could feature the AFL talent available to them under the same rules as rugby leagues world cup (by heritage). Stadnard IC Cup matches could be played as curtain raisers to the origin games.

Division 1: Origin states - all 8 states and territories
Division 2: Current Div 1 countries
Division 3: current Div 2 countries

I concur.
Some matchups are straight forward.
WA Vs SA. NSW Vs Qld. ACT Vs NT. Victoria and Tassie not so easy IMO.
In IC producing a world team maybe.

the AFL doesnt so much want to grow the game outside Australia as it wants to grow the talent pool available to Australian clubs.

Exactly my point. AR outside of Australia is a two speed development. The relatively unassisted amateur movement or the assisted developments where the primary aim is to benefit the AFL and to benefit AR as secondary. The best example is probably in those countries that have AFL "combines" to select potential AFL players and where the local league recieves much less attention.

I concur.
Some matchups are straight forward.
WA Vs SA. NSW Vs Qld. ACT Vs NT. Victoria and Tassie not so easy IMO.
In IC producing a world team maybe.

Exactly my point. AR outside of Australia is a two speed development. The relatively unassisted amateur movement or the assisted developments where the primary aim is to benefit the AFL and to benefit AR as secondary. The best example is probably in those countries that have AFL "combines" to select potential AFL players and where the local league recieves much less attention.
from reading articles on here, it appears that a fair bit of AR local leagues in other countries is due to the AFL promoting AR through whatever means it feels appropriate.

so to criticize the AFL for not promoting the local league enough seems a bit meh to me.

from reading articles on here, it appears that a fair bit of AR local leagues in other countries is due to the AFL promoting AR through whatever means it feels appropriate.

What AFL promotions are you referring to?

so to criticize the AFL for not promoting the local league enough seems a bit meh to me.

Where is the criticism?
I think it's absolutely fantastic what the AFL is doing in the RSA, PNG and NZ.
The creation of AFL Europe has be a great catylist for AR in Europe.

development officers and what not.

where you say the secondary aim is for AR after the primary aim being to benefit the AFL, whilst may be true, the way it is typed makes it feel like you are being negative towards the afl and its intentions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back