Worst area you have been to?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree about NY. Before I visited, i thought there would be shootings and all kinds of crap going on. Even in places like Brooklyn and the Bronx (daytime), it was chilled out. We walked to the hotel tipsy one night and were paranoid thinking if we'd be in 1 piece. Best walk I had on the trip ;)

Yeah Naples is a shithole, dirty and the locals are unfriendly. We ordered one of the worst pizzas I've ever eaten at a restaurant there and I'm sure they were either trolling us or a front for some mafia drug cartel.

Only spent one day and night there thankfully before going down to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast which has much nicer scenery at least.

I can't say I liked Italy much at all, expensive, rude locals, overrated food and s**t beaches. They might have some decent roman ruins but you get over them pretty quickly.

Had four nights in Naples earlier this year. It was just a handy place for Pompeii, Vesuvius, Herculaneum and I gave the place itself some time (plus I couldn't get a train out on the day I was scheduled to leave, beig Easter and all).
The pizza was awesome. First meal was a really good pizza plus a beer for 4 Euro. But traditional pizza is very different to most of what you get here. It can be too big an adjustment for some.

The place is definitely dirty and the rubbish a problem. I never really felt unsafe after the first hour or so though. And that was staying in the city centre, not down by the harbour which is kept looking good. After I wandered into, and through, a few of the main market streets without getting harassed it was fine. Those same streets were kneed eep in garbage by the afternoon. But I also wasn't heading to bars and stuff. I was definitely out after dark but not particularly late.

I suspect a lot of the bag-snatching and stuff happens closer to the water, where the wealthier tourists (and locals) are. The bits that look dodgy around the city centre don't seem to be the dangerous bits.
But, yes, I had forgotten that parts of Europe were so run down so a a first port of call it served as a reminder.

Worst place I've been to is a former mining town in the fills in Tasmania. Rossarden. Known mostly as a hamlet that survives on crime and dole cheques. It would have been about 250 people when I was a kid, a mix of people down on their luck who boiught very cheap housing, former mine employees who didn't leave, and maniac oddballs with a fondness for arson, stolen cars, and drunken shootouts (or all three combined).
It might be 40 or so of the thuggiest thugs Tasmania has ever produced now.
It was one of those out of the way place with no cops, where the social norms of the broader populace didn't really take hold.

After that, I seem to recall Munich was somewhat dodgy. Or maybe that was just becauseI happened to be with a group of Asians and ran into some skinheads after about 10 minutes. Ho Chi Minh City didn't seem dangerous, but had some definitely seediness about it.
Vienna and Cuzco are the only places I've been offered drugs by strangers on the street. Arequipa the only place I felt I was being targeted, though overall its a nice place.

I live in a suburb some may consider ''rough'' but it's not as bad as it used to be.
Pretty quiet most nights actually.
Bridgewater, an outer suburb of Hobart is pretty bad.
Bridgewater, the southern Ravenswood. Although Ravoland has cleaned up its act somewhat, or maybe its just that Rocherlea has got more depraved; I forget how it works with those slumburbs.

Doha, went last year and god its s**t. Wonderful new skyscrapers surrounded by dirt, sand and terrible housing. The old airport was s**t too, the toilets were in a horrible state. There was a dude chilling under the sinks where people were washing their hands and it smelt aweful, I had to walk out it was that bad. Some areas of Istanbul and Paris are really dodgy as well.

Had four nights in Naples earlier this year. It was just a handy place for Pompeii, Vesuvius, Herculaneum and I gave the place itself some time (plus I couldn't get a train out on the day I was scheduled to leave, beig Easter and all).
The pizza was awesome. First meal was a really good pizza plus a beer for 4 Euro. But traditional pizza is very different to most of what you get here. It can be too big an adjustment for some.

The place is definitely dirty and the rubbish a problem. I never really felt unsafe after the first hour or so though. And that was staying in the city centre, not down by the harbour which is kept looking good. After I wandered into, and through, a few of the main market streets without getting harassed it was fine. Those same streets were kneed eep in garbage by the afternoon. But I also wasn't heading to bars and stuff. I was definitely out after dark but not particularly late.

I suspect a lot of the bag-snatching and stuff happens closer to the water, where the wealthier tourists (and locals) are. The bits that look dodgy around the city centre don't seem to be the dangerous bits.
But, yes, I had forgotten that parts of Europe were so run down so a a first port of call it served as a reminder.

Worst place I've been to is a former mining town in the fills in Tasmania. Rossarden. Known mostly as a hamlet that survives on crime and dole cheques. It would have been about 250 people when I was a kid, a mix of people down on their luck who boiught very cheap housing, former mine employees who didn't leave, and maniac oddballs with a fondness for arson, stolen cars, and drunken shootouts (or all three combined).
It might be 40 or so of the thuggiest thugs Tasmania has ever produced now.
It was one of those out of the way place with no cops, where the social norms of the broader populace didn't really take hold.

After that, I seem to recall Munich was somewhat dodgy. Or maybe that was just becauseI happened to be with a group of Asians and ran into some skinheads after about 10 minutes. Ho Chi Minh City didn't seem dangerous, but had some definitely seediness about it.
Vienna and Cuzco are the only places I've been offered drugs by strangers on the street. Arequipa the only place I felt I was being targeted, though overall its a nice place.
Mick Thomas from the Weddos wrote a song called Rossarden, about the effect the mine shutting had on the place.
"For Rossarden is not a pretty sight,
Since the mine closed down."
It's on The Big Don't Argue.

Karratha has turned real bad since the government has closed all the indigenous camps in the area and they have made their way back into town. So many bust ups with rival families at the local shops there.
Lived in Karratha for about 6 years and sadly I could see how this could happen. Some decent areas, but the North section of Nickol could be pretty bad (I found out the hard way).

Mick Thomas from the Weddos wrote a song called Rossarden, about the effect the mine shutting had on the place.
"For Rossarden is not a pretty sight,
Since the mine closed down."
It's on The Big Don't Argue.
Rossarden is a pretty site, except for the few remaining people and buildings. And the burnt out cars, and the trash piles in the bush.
It is proof, however, that the problems of many remote Aboriginal settlements have nothing to do with Aboriginality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overnight train from Berlin to Budapest. Petrifying being in a cabin in a near desolate train with some old bloke staring at you, looking you up and down, while you try and somehow still awake after not sleeping for 30 hours...

West Ham in London is a total shithole. Lille is really seedy, as in the people, because it's not a big tourist spot.

Haha, I tried doing that trip once, but got chucked off the train just before the Czech border because I didn't have a transit visa for the place. Middle of the night in f***ing Germany, in an empty station, with all these Nazi German railway station guards who wouldn't let you kip in the station. It wasn't pleasant.

Haha, I tried doing that trip once, but got chucked off the train just before the Czech border because I didn't have a transit visa for the place. Middle of the night in f***ing Germany, in an empty station, with all these Nazi German railway station guards who wouldn't let you kip in the station. It wasn't pleasant.

They are pretty strict in the Czech Republic, we travelled there on a bus from Germany and got held up at the Czech border for ages by some very serious looking armed border guards there who took all our passports off us and then took them away to some building to be approved. It was one of the few places I went to where Australians needed a travel visa.

While we were waiting on the bus for them to approve our passports and visas we were making a few nervous jokes about the guards dragging us off the bus and shooting us for not having the proper visas.

Eventually we were allowed through where there were all these Czech hookers standing on the side of the road flashing their wares at all the traffic.

Beautiful country though, we visited Cesky Krumlov in the Bohemia region and it's like something out of a fairytale.

slightly OT but up-to-date Top 30 Highest Murder Rate Cities in US - LA and NYC don't make the list these days:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/top-lists/highest-murder-rate-cities/

I've been to 5 of the top 15. St Louis and East St Louis are on opposite sides of the river, and East Chicago, Harvey and Gary aren't that far apart either.

It's quite a shock to the system to go to a place like Gary or East St Louis, where most of the city is either burnt down or abandoned, and what's left might as well be.

What is interesting though, is that Harvey, East Chicago and Gary are all north of the I-80. You don't have to go too far south, to places like Munster or Flossmoor, to find a lot of jaded upper class people from Chicago are moving there.

They are pretty strict in the Czech Republic, we travelled there on a bus from Germany and got held up at the Czech border for ages by some very serious looking border guards there who took all our passports off us and then took them away to some building to be approved. It was one of the few places I went to where Australians needed a travel visa.

While we were waiting on the bus for them to approve our passports and visas we were making a few nervous jokes about the guards dragging us off the bus and shooting us for not having the proper visas.

Eventually we were allowed through where there were all these Czech hookers standing on the side of the road flashing their wares at all the traffic.

Beautiful country though, we visited Cesky Krumlov in the Bohemia region and it's like something out of a fairytale.

This is the way you do it.

600px-Stripes-M1911A1a.jpg

Late 2000

Hollywood Blvd, rolled into at about 9pm at night into the dodgiest hostel imaginable, quite an eye opener.

I also stayed in Harlem, found it ok, had to go out night to get some laundry done, whilst sitting waiting for the machine to do its business getting some looks form few black people, gave them a smile and a "g'day" then once they realised i was aussie it was cool had a good chat to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back