Entertainment & Music Worst Aussie TV show around at the moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon 9's attempt at packed to the rafters could make this list. The promo's hilarious.

Haven't watched it but i assume it's terrible. Couldn't stop laughing when i saw how blatant the promo was in ripping off Rafters. They shouldn't have even bothered with the promo, they should've just said "It's Rafters but with even shitter actors."

It's so lame how often that happens in Aussie TV though. Oh your cooking show is going well? Allow me to steal that. Rafters rating well? We'll have that too. Show is popular in America? Allow us to repackage it as Aussie and completely f*ck the format up, and then as the final insult we'll have Grant Denyer present it.

What's wrong with the Australian Grand Designs?

I haven't seen it but would be surprised if it's as good as the english version.

Ladies, if it makes you feel any better I think we make better movies.

ps. why on earth would you be waiting for an aussie version of 'QI'. It's like discovering a really good show and hanging out for an inferior copy.

when you get excited about that it's the night for "talking bout your generation" then you know ozzie tv is in the pits.

not that tbyg is a bad show, i'd give it a 6.5-7.5/10 depending on the night... but it shouldn't be one of the highlights of the tv week.

tbh though if it wasn't for sport i would hardly watch tv. just download doco's, south park, family guy, peep show, the in betweeners :)(), the office and that easy sees you through... a new ricky gervais show called life's too short is also showing some potential but only watched one or two

What's wrong with the Australian Grand Designs?
I watch Australian Grand Designs and it's not bad, but any Australian host is going to fail dismally in a comparison against Kevin McCloud.

Still it could be worse, thankfully with all the crappy Australian shows like The Block, they have tried to do a direct lift of Property Ladder from the UK. I remember seeing them trying a US one of that. Epic fail is an understatement. Though Sarah Beeny certainly topped any of the US girls. ;)

As a general proposition though, yeah, Australian TV is s**t. It's a strange thing IMO. There are plenty of good UK and US shows - beyond just what the difference in population sizes would dictate - and the main cultural influences on Australia has been the UK and the US over the last century yet we churn out s**t, especially 'comedy' in comparison.

I haven't seen it but would be surprised if it's as good as the english version.

Ladies, if it makes you feel any better I think we make better movies.

ps. why on earth would you be waiting for an aussie version of 'QI'. It's like discovering a really good show and hanging out for an inferior copy.

Top Gear Australia ring any bells?

I watch Australian Grand Designs and it's not bad, but any Australian host is going to fail dismally in a comparison against Kevin McCloud.

Agree, he's brilliant. His narration is some beautifully crafted writing. Australian TV never put as much thought or skill into their reality tv shows.

the american got talent is so much better than the aussie one not one person on the aussie one would make the usa final

If you dont like Jason Segel, then theres something very wrong with you.

I don't mind Jason Segel, some of his movies I've liked, but How I Met Your Mother is a dreadful tv show. It's almost as annoying and unfunny as Big Bang Theory.

They must still rate well though since Seven and Nine clog up their schedules with them.

Am still patiently waiting for an Australian version of QI.

Unless they got Stephen Fry out here to host it I couldn't see an Australian version of QI working, just wouldn't be the same without him. We probably don't have the same quality of guest comedians here either.

Could see an Aussie version of QI being as big a disaster as the Aussie version of Top Gear. You can't just copy the formulas of successful overseas shows and expect them to be just as successful, it's the people in those shows like Stephen Fry, Jeremy Clarkson and James May that make them successful.

when you get excited about that it's the night for "talking bout your generation" then you know ozzie tv is in the pits.

not that tbyg is a bad show, i'd give it a 6.5-7.5/10 depending on the night... but it shouldn't be one of the highlights of the tv week.

Even TBYG is a pretty average show. Ironic that it's probably Micallef's most popular show and also his worst, says a lot about the tv watching public here. His work on Full Frontal, his ABC shows and Newstopia on SBS were all better than TBYG, it's a waste of his talents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could see an Aussie version of QI being as big a disaster as the Aussie version of Top Gear. You can't just copy the formulas of successful overseas shows and expect them to be just as successful, it's the people in those shows like Stephen Fry, Jeremy Clarkson and James May that make them successful.

how people that get paid truck loads of money can't pick up on this is mind blowing.

top gear UK is watched by heaps of people with little to no interest in cars - for me i don't go out of my way to watch it, but if it's on the tv i wouldn't turn it off. i have no interest in cars at all.

but the main reason i watch it, as you say, and most probably cause of many with no car interest is because of the nature of the guys on the show.... i've watched quite a few others shows with those guys in it and they're all quite good because they have engaging personalities... you can't just make that up.

Haven't watched it but i assume it's terrible. Couldn't stop laughing when i saw how blatant the promo was in ripping off Rafters. They shouldn't have even bothered with the promo, they should've just said "It's Rafters but with even shitter actors."

Is that the one with Shane Bourne? It looks horrific.

another good analogy for these is the game shows in australia that have done well over the years that were copied from overseas - wheel of fortune, price is right, sale of the century and millionaire four of the most succesful. yes they were copied formula's but they didn't just leave it at that, they found engaging hosts and created an enjoyable atmosphere....

i still remember tony barber even though i was single figures when glen ridge took over SOTC (i thought i was about 12 when that happened but anyway), but funnily enough i remember he was (maybe still is) on tv1 and did a trivia question nightly... what was generally quite a benile little 5 minute tv time killer into something that was reasonably entertaining.... i just don't reckon there is that sort of talent around australian tv at the moment...

Unless they got Stephen Fry out here to host it I couldn't see an Australian version of QI working, just wouldn't be the same without him. We probably don't have the same quality of guest comedians here either.

how people that get paid truck loads of money can't pick up on this is mind blowing.

top gear UK is watched by heaps of people with little to no interest in cars - for me i don't go out of my way to watch it, but if it's on the tv i wouldn't turn it off. i have no interest in cars at all.

but the main reason i watch it, as you say, and most probably cause of many with no car interest is because of the nature of the guys on the show.... i've watched quite a few others shows with those guys in it and they're all quite good because they have engaging personalities... you can't just make that up.

What is annoying is that I think Aussies have potential in this area. But not copying the same shows. For example, Wilfred. Wilfred is a genius show.

I also find it disturbing that TV executives are being paid crap loads to make s**t copies when we should be searching for new and original aussie talent. God knows its out there. It's just different to English and American talent.

Speaking of American talent. They are the kings of TV series. What about ABCs abysmal HBO style show 'the straits' - jesus christ - give it up would you.

We should be doing our own thing. :)

Yeah I'm not a car nut either but I still watch UK Top Gear. It's more a comedy show about cars rather than a straight out car show. It's the humour, personality and chemistry of Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond that make the show so successful.

The three hosts on the the Aussie Top Gear just don't have the same humour, personality or chemistry. Shane Jacobson is alright but the other two guys, whose names I can't even remember, are just too dull and lack personality. No surprise that it hasn't been successful despite copying the exact same formula as the UK Top Gear.

Australian reality tv is dreadful whereas english reality Tv is actually good.

What a load of steaming horseshit.

Your anglophilic finger banging is pathetic

I used to watch BB when I lived there (including celebrity bb) and I could never watch the Australian version - so yes, I agree with you.

Shows include; never mind the buzzcocks (a good version of spicks and specks) - infact all their panel shows are better version of ours. Their personalities are funnier, we have wil anderson :eek: they have simon amstel :D - this is replicated in all panel shows. They're personalities are great, another example would be 'Top gear' and then our abysmal replication of it. I liked their cooking shows, even masterchef - there's just no way i would watch it here. Grand designs and that other renovation show. Wife swap. They could even make a house cleaning show funny. They are good at reality tv.

I don't have a tv because frankly the TV here is appalling, the ads are dreadful and the frequency of them as well as the terrible shows make it unbearable. Any TV show i want to watch i download OR watch on iveiw or demand.

Commercial TV offers nothing that i need or want.

Pretentious w***er says what?

There has never been a reality show that could be considered "good" (personally, I think the best case can be made for the first one - Survivor, but only early on).

British scripted TV is better than Australia's, but that's like saying BHP are better at mining than me with a shovel in the backyard. Can't think of a single scripted Australian show that isn't s**t - maybe Wilfred.

Re Aussie Top Gear, its rubbish (although I do like the look at Holden v Ford), but next to the American one it is the best show on TV

What I find strange is Australians in general are rather crude but the commercial stations want to make shows that dilute the characters so much that you can not relate to any of them.

I think this is what makes Wilfred so great is he acts and talks like a lot of Aussies. Some of the best Aussie shows created were the rude and crude full frontal or chaser's war on everything. They've got to stop worrying they're going to offend someone and go back to basics.

Agree 100%. Do you like Phil spencer?
The new block with Scott "Im a tool" Cam and that women god she sh!ts me.
Phil and Kirsty are good and it's another one that isn't as good in the Aussie version. I'd rate them as:
Grand Designs > Property Ladder >> Location, Location / Re-location, Re-location >> Australian Grand Designs >>>> Day light >>>> Any Australian idea for a property show.

Jason Segal on How I Met Your Mother is like eating cardboard. Its like he has literally run out of funny things to say and has resorted to just being mundane.

Good Aussie TV shows in the past and at present are rare. Some that stood out for me though are:

Full Frontal
Fast Forward
The Chaser War on Everything
Spicks and Specks (Thanks to Myf's massive bazookas)
Frontline
Fat Pizza
Kath n Kim
Summer Heights High
Angry Boyz (the first couple were ok)
The early Secret Life of Us episodes (might get some flack for that)
Underbelly
The early Footy Show (has turned pear the last few years IMO)
Rockwiz

While Im here I would like to nominate Dancing with the Stars as the worst visual holocaust of a program ever invented, and am hoping, secretley hoping, that the whole set explodes on live tv.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back