Worst beating in a test series?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't matter we have still won in India, a series as well, India have never won in SA and Australia, and they have only one one or two series in the UK and WI, so yes they are (expletive) in every aspect.
It’s telling that India could not even defeat the woefully weak Australian team of 1985/1986, essentially the same as the weakest team to tour England in the past half-century (excluding new Test nations). The Indians did have the better of three Tests but could not win even one against as weak a team as they would have faced abroad ever.

India were also very unlucky not to win the 1977/1978 series, which saw their great spinners Chandrasekhar and Bedi in wonderful form (wouldn’t it have been a boost to the ACB’s finances to have spin of that quality all along??)

That gives are two series here India should have won, but it is still really telling that they have never actually capped it off!

Last edited:
It’s telling that India could not even defeat the woefully weak Australian team of 1985/1986, essentially the same as the weakest team to tour England in the past half-century (excluding new Test nations). The Indians did have the better of three Tests but could not win even one against a team.

India were also very unlucky not to win the 1977/1978 series, which saw their great spinners Chandrasekhar and Bedi in wonderful form (wouldn’t it have been a boost to the ACB’s finances to have spin of that quality all along??)

That gives are two series here India should have won, but it is still really telling that they have never actually capped it off!

Exactly, just proves how s**t they are/have been in their history.

Don't overlook the 89 Ashes.

1. England playing at home.
2. England overwhelming favorites.
3. The first innings Lead to Australia in each tests was - 171, 242, 182, 187, 347, and 183.
4. There were 2 drawn tests. In the 3rd test, England passed the follow-on with 9 wickets down - then it rained and so was a draw. In the 6th test, England passed the follow-on with 8 wickets down - then it rained, and so was a draw.
5. The best England bowler took 12 wickets at 35. The worst of Australia's main 4 bowlers took 11 wickets at 27.
6. There were 12 Australian century partnerships - 2 for England.
7. 0-301 - one of only 5 instances of an opening partnership batting through the first day of a test.

And repeat Point 2 - England were overwhelming favorites. No one gave Australia a chance. But for rain, it would certainly have been 6-0.

The 1970 tour of South Africa by the Australians was as comprehensive a thrashing as I can recall. Thankfully, it was only a 4 Test series.

Aussie batsmen only made 10 scores of 50 or more and no centuries. South Africa made 6 100s and 12 50s. Ian Chappell couldn't buy a run after being touted as the best batsman in the world by Bill Lawry, only 3 batsmen averaged higher than 30, and Graham McKenzie took only 1 wicket for the series at a cost of 333 runs.

Test 1 South Africa won by 170 runs
Test 2 South Africa won by an Innings & 129 runs
Test 3 South Africa won by 307 runs
Test 4 South Africa won by 323 runs

An absolute mauling

To see them go up against the 70s-80s-era Windies with Richards, Barlow, Proctor, the Pollocks etc would have been absolutely mouth watering. ****ing apartheid.

We crushed the Windies here 5-0 in 2000-2001 when the only good player the Windies had was a hot and cold Lara and three has beens and only one century was scored in that series by a Windies batsman. Windies surrendered terribly in three of those tests.

That summer was actually enlivened by Zimbabwe joining the ODI tri-series. The game at WACA where we set them 300+ and Grant Flower/Marillier nearly chased it down was hugely entertaining.

Don't matter we have still won in India, a series as well, India have never won in SA and Australia, and they have only one one or two series in the UK and WI, so yes they are s**t in every aspect.

...except playing at home, where they're dominant.

I don't rate the current Indian side particularly highly due to their struggles outside of the sub-continent, but you can't pretend like they're not a formidable opponent at home.

Way to contribute to the thread

(yes I'm a hypocrite)

...except playing at home, where they're dominant.

I don't rate the current Indian side particularly highly due to their struggles outside of the sub-continent, but you can't pretend like they're not a formidable opponent at home.

Way to contribute to the thread

(yes I'm a hypocrite)

Home does not matter, when you have never won a series in Australia or SA, both the Aussies and SA have won series in India.

Don't overlook the 89 Ashes.

1. England playing at home.
2. England overwhelming favorites.
3. The first innings Lead to Australia in each tests was - 171, 242, 182, 187, 347, and 183.
4. There were 2 drawn tests. In the 3rd test, England passed the follow-on with 9 wickets down - then it rained and so was a draw. In the 6th test, England passed the follow-on with 8 wickets down - then it rained, and so was a draw.
5. The best England bowler took 12 wickets at 35. The worst of Australia's main 4 bowlers took 11 wickets at 27.
6. There were 12 Australian century partnerships - 2 for England.
7. 0-301 - one of only 5 instances of an opening partnership batting through the first day of a test.

And repeat Point 2 - England were overwhelming favorites. No one gave Australia a chance. But for rain, it would certainly have been 6-0.
It's also worth mentioning that we only used the 12 players for the entire series.

I don't rate the current Indian side particularly highly due to their struggles outside of the sub-continent

We all tend to use the line that india struggle away from asian conditions but actually they generally struggle in other parts of asia as much as they do playing outside the sub-continent, they have only one test series win in pakistan 10 years ago and just the one series win in sri Lanka over 20 years ago.

I was surprised by their very poor record in sri lanka, i mean we are dodgy in asia and yet we have won 3 of our 4 test series in sri lanka so it can't be that hard a place to win.

Last edited:
I was surprised by their very poor record in sri lanka, i mean we are dodgy in asia and yet we have won 3 of our 4 test series in sri lanka so it can't be that hard a place to win.

That's really surprising to me too, I'd have figured their last win against Pakistan was 03/04 due to them not playing each other a heap in tests the last few years, but I'd thought they'd fairly comfortably had the wood over Sri Lanka. Cheers for pointing that out.

Speaking of Pakistan and bad beats in a test series, we absolutely walloped them in 04/05 ourselves. The first is the most memorable one, when they were rolled for 72 after the Australians declared, leaving a final margin of 491 runs. McGrath took 8/24 in the second dig.

The other two tests aren't much different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the series before that was where we rolled them for 53 and 59 in the uae, the two tests in sharjah were both innings victories but the first test in sri lanka was actually a bloody good test(shoaib rolled us 2nd innings to keep them in it) but it's been forgotten somewhat with what followed in the uae.

West Indies defeated the poms 5-0 in 1984 and 5-0 in 1985/86.
Lost the grand total of 26 second innings wickets in ten tests.
Not a bad touch up

Apologies, the 'final frontier' storyline that was the feature of our 2004 tour fooled me.

India managed two 5-0 losses in the space of three years- 1959 in England, and then 1961-62 in West Indies.

Both were comprehensive drubbings too.

England lost 5-0 to West Indies in 1984 and 1985-86- yet in between, managed to beat us 3-1 in the 1985 Ashes and India 2-1 in 1984-85- in India too.

Going back in history, in 1886 the Poms beat us 3-0 in three tests. In the first Test, Sammy Jones opened and made 87 - it was our only score above 50 for the whole series. Poms won by 4 wickets, Innings & plenty, Innings and plenty.

India always cop a pounding.
Away from home, yes. Somebody said recently that Indian batsmen are like faithful husbands - they only perform at home :) Expecting more of the same when they visit Australia later this year.

It’s telling that India could not even defeat the woefully weak Australian team of 1985/1986, essentially the same as the weakest team to tour England in the past half-century (excluding new Test nations). The Indians did have the better of three Tests but could not win even one against a team.

India's number 11 in that 1977/78 series was Dilip Doshi. He was so bad, that he would have made Glenn McGrath look like Don Bradman. If I recall correctly after 37 years, his first runs of the series came in the final Test in Adelaide - a nick through the slips for 4.

India's number 11 in that 1977/78 series was Dilip Doshi. He was so bad, that he would have made Glenn McGrath look like Don Bradman. If I recall correctly after 37 years, his first runs of the series came in the final Test in Adelaide - a nick through the slips for 4.
Not that he was actually that bad a batsman normally, but Ajit Agarkar's run of outs in the 1999/2000 series here was one for the ages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back