Worst & best suburb in Geelong, and why

Remove this Banner Ad

My girlfriend is teaching in highton so that would be perfect but maybe slightly over budget. What is Grovedale like. Still close to her school

lol. Just read the thread for the first time.

Still stacks up.

Wolves. Rent in Geelong. Buy something @425 in Melbourne. Better growth, and you get the tax break.

I was thinking this as we can afford it rent in ripples ide which we really like but convincing my girlfriend is going to be close to impossible. She wants to live in her own home

lol. Just read the thread for the first time.

Still stacks up.

Wolves. Rent in Geelong. Buy something @425 in Melbourne. Better growth, and you get the tax break.

I was thinking this as we can afford it rent in ripples ide which we really like but convincing my girlfriend is going to be close to impossible. She wants to live in her own home

Get an accountant to do the figures for you on the tax breaks and how your financial situation would look if you bought an investment property and rented.
Might work out well and help convince her.

My favourite house in Geelong is at the top of Eastern Beach, above the baths, a magnificent white Victorian house with very pretty ironwork.

That baby is classified by the National Trust.

img_47871.jpg

It is a beautiful house (and I am a sucker for classical styling) but the problem is that you cannot change anything in the house with out permission from the Trust. And as I understand it, that goes for door handles and light switches.

There is also a beautiful white place around the corner in Garden Street about 150 mtrs from the corner. (Not Merchison Hall, although I also like that too.) I also like the brick place on the Esplanade in Drummie with the name "Aaron" on it.
And there are some great old houses in Newtown towards Shannon Ave.

tumblr_m5zb57vMPh1r3nwh5.jpg

"Drummond" in Newtown was on the market for 3.3 mil in 2012.

"Lunan" below a mansion at 24 Lunan Ave Drumcondra is estimated to fetch 5 mil. I did not even know that it existed until I stumbled on it by accident while driving around Drummie.

tumblr_m67m4woZh51r3nwh5.png

Last edited:
That baby is classified by the National Trust.

img_47871.jpg

It is a beautiful house (and I am a sucker for classical styling) but the problem is that you cannot change anything in the house with out permission from the Trust. And as I understand it, that goes for door handles and light switches.

There is also a beautiful white place around the corner in Garden Street about 150 mtrs from the corner. (Not Merchison Hall) I also like the brick place on the Esplanade in Drummie with the name "Aaron" on it.
And there are some great old houses in Newtown towards Shannon Ave.

tumblr_m5zb57vMPh1r3nwh5.jpg

"Drummond" in Newtown was on the market for 3.3 mil in 2012.

"Lunan" below a mansion at 24 Lunan Ave Drumcondra is estimated to fetch 5 mil. I did not even know that it existed until I stumbled on it by accident while driving around Drummie.

tumblr_m67m4woZh51r3nwh5.png

National Trust classification only makes me want it more! My house in Paddington is heritage listed, so I'm completely undaunted!

Rabbi, thank you so much for posting the pix! :hearts: What is the name of my Victorian Gingerbread house, Rabbi?

Drummond is lovely!

Now Lunan!!! :hearts: :rainbow: :hearts: :rainbow: :hearts: That is soooooooo me!!! Is if for sale Rabbi? It is magnificent!!! I really want it!!!

"Lunan House was for many years used as a teacher's college by the education department of Victoria. The interior has been completely rearranged, the original details altered and the exterior freestone fabric inappropriately painted. The essential detail is intact."
https://www.onmydoorstep.com.au/heritage-listing/546/lunan-house

National Trust classification only makes me want it more! My house in Paddington is heritage listed, so I'm completely undaunted!

Rabbi, thank you so much for posting the pix! :hearts: What is the name of my Victorian Gingerbread house, Rabbi?

Drummond is lovely!

Now Lunan!!! :hearts: :rainbow: :hearts: :rainbow: :hearts: That is soooooooo me!!! Is if for sale Rabbi? It is magnificent!!! I really want it!!!
Lol

Nice to see you've got great taste, Squishy! :D

I reckon I could live in that place in Newtown ;)

Thank you rabbi, it is just gorgeous.

Lunan is the house I'd really love! Who owns it now, rabbi?

I cannot tell you. But I did have a discussion with the bloke as he drove into the property while I was out front admiring it.

You should check out the place in Skene street just before you hit Shannon Ave coming from LaTrobe Tce. It is on the left not far from the Crn of Shannon and Skene.

I often lust over some of the beautiful properties around Geelong wondering what it must be like to be wealthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot tell you. But I did have a discussion with the bloke as he drove into the property while I was out front admiring it.

You should check out the place in Skene street just before you hit Shannon Ave coming from LaTrobe Tce. It is on the left not far from the Crn of Shannon and Skene.

I often lust over some of the beautiful properties around Geelong wondering what it must be like to be wealthy.
Just think of how much you'd be paying someone to clean it, rabbi- that should make you feel a lot better that you aren't wasting money on dirt and dust. Oh- and you'd probably need a gardener- might as well think about having a chauffeur as well...

I posted above that it was used by Dept of Education, wonder if they still own/occupy it! Georgian architecture is my favourite!

What number Skene Street, rabbi?

I posted above that it was used by Dept of Education, wonder if they still own/occupy it! Georgian architecture is my favourite!

What number Skene Street, rabbi?

I don't know the number. But follow my directions and you cannot miss it.
I was lusting over this property too when the bloke who owns it came over for a chat. As I recall, the house was owned by his father.
I wish someone rich would adopt me. After all, I am an orphan now.

I don't know the number. But follow my directions and you cannot miss it.
I was lusting over this property too when the bloke who owns it came over for a chat. As I recall, the house was owned by his father.
I wish someone rich would adopt me. After all, I am an orphan now.
A bit hard for me to do from NSW rabbi ;) But next time I am in Geelong, will you take me for a tour, please? I just love looking at property!

I was looking to buy a house just out of Geelong + Ceres is such a lovely area, three gorgeous houses I'd love to have bought. I can't get over just how much the property values have increased! I swear, as soon as I said I want to move to Geelong all the houses I like are $1m+ Last time I was down I went for a drive in Newtown to see a house I'd wanted in 1995, which was $295k then + in March this year it was $1.5m :eek: + I'm from Sydney, so am used to big prices for property! But :eek: :eek: :eek:

Skeppersap, the great thing about Ceres is that it is still lovely country with some farming. I saw a house there with five acres, a little vineyard + lovely house for $1.3m Another, five acres, fabulous house - $2.1m lol

My favourite house in Geelong is at the top of Eastern Beach, above the baths, a magnificent white Victorian house with very pretty ironwork.

Ironically, I think the name of that place is Corio Villa. I believe it only changed hands in the last few years.

As for Ceres, Dwayne Russell lives, or used to live there.

I reckon that Manifold Heights is the nicest suburb in Geelong, small, tightly held and convenient to most other places. If you have a young family, I'd say Manifold Heights / Herne Hill. Walking distance to a number of kindergartens, primary schools and if you've got girls, Clonard. Easy few minute drive to on ramps either heading to Melbourne or going the other way to Waurn Ponds / Coast. Five minute drive to Western Beach, no pubs nearby for late night noise.

I think the best water views in Geelong are at North Shore.

"Lunan House was for many years used as a teacher's college by the education department of Victoria. The interior has been completely rearranged, the original details altered and the exterior freestone fabric inappropriately painted. The essential detail is intact."
https://www.onmydoorstep.com.au/heritage-listing/546/lunan-house

When I was in primary school we used to go to Lunan House for testing, competitions and workshops with students from other schools in the northern suburbs.

Ironically, I think the name of that place is Corio Villa. I believe it only changed hands in the last few years.

As for Ceres, Dwayne Russell lives, or used to live there.

I reckon that Manifold Heights is the nicest suburb in Geelong, small, tightly held and convenient to most other places. If you have a young family, I'd say Manifold Heights / Herne Hill. Walking distance to a number of kindergartens, primary schools and if you've got girls, Clonard. Easy few minute drive to on ramps either heading to Melbourne or going the other way to Waurn Ponds / Coast. Five minute drive to Western Beach, no pubs nearby for late night noise.

I think the best water views in Geelong are at North Shore.
Now HHH remember I'm from NSW . . .

Who is Dwayne Russell?

+ yes, it is Corio Villa, rabbi mentioned it, probably because it overlooks Corio Bay?

Best: Wandana Heights-incredible views, some ridiculous houses. Saw one today that had gargoyles on the roof, another that looks straight out of a sheiks palace and another that is so protected by walls and trees their neighbours wouldn't know who they are.

Worst: Norlane/Whittington-just...no.
We used to run around Wandana Heights before it was houses, a great hilly country like run with amazing views at the end. We trained there for the Otway Classic, and those who didn't make the cut became exceptionally fit anyway.
And before that, I used to go to a school there, St. Catherines, which was also an orphanage, but some day kids like me went as well.
Can't believe what it's turned out to be there now.
Billy Brownless lives there in a huge place.

We grew up in Newtown, on Shannon Ave. Fantastic suburb. Got into marathon running there, all uphill coming home, and a brilliant run along the Barwon river for many kms. A lot of schools in the area, walking distance to the City, the footy, the pool, Pako St.,Great houses in the suburb.

Eastern beach area is brilliant, anywhere along the waterfront.

Grovedale has some positives, excellent shopping precinct, Cinema, Baseball and sports complex, Pool, a great walking track, and years ago, in the same street, Couchy, Buddha, and GAblett snr!

Belmont is a good suburb the houses in Belmont are under rated.Some really nice places on the Geelong west/Newtown side of Belmont.
I like Ceres some really lovely heritage area and the country side is lovely.

I also love the single frontage places in Newtown Geelong west area I really like that style of house.

Bremlea is area i wouldn't mind having a place either.

Played cricket in Leopold last Saturday that place has taken off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back