Worst Case Scenario: Pav gets injured

BananaOnTheRun

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone who doubts the value of genuine marking targets in the forward line should go back and watch the last qtr of the grand final again.
This along with watching last night's match has be convinced we're no chance for the flag without another marking KPF to help out Pav. Even if this player doesn't kick any goals, we need him to take the pressure off Pav, and either create a contest to mark the ball or bring it down to our crumbers.

Pav is our only genuine KPF. We can't rely on cameos from ruckmen to help us there. We need another KPF.

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
Anyone who doubts the value of genuine marking targets in the forward line should go back and watch the last qtr of the grand final again.

Or any of Saints games this season (except for last week :mad:) and watch their abysmal kicking to Reiwoldt.

This along with watching last night's match has be convinced we're no chance for the flag without another marking KPF to help out Pav. Even if this player doesn't kick any goals, we need him to take the pressure off Pav, and either create a contest to mark the ball or bring it down to our crumbers.

Pav is our only genuine KPF. We can't rely on cameos from ruckmen to help us there. We need another KPF.

This is why I'm hoping Apeness gets a few more chances next year, or this year if we have a few injury problems and need to fill some spots. He kept the backmen bloody busy for a kid that didn't kick a goal.

BananaOnTheRun

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is why I'm hoping Apeness gets a few more chances next year, or this year if we have a few injury problems and need to fill some spots. He kept the backmen bloody busy for a kid that didn't kick a goal.
Yeah, I think it's Apeness, rather than Tabs at the moment. Apeman has more of a presence that we need up forward.

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd throw my question here.

Do you think the height advantage gained with KPF's like Tabs and Ape outweighs the lack of forward pressure they are able to supply.

Every coach in the history of football other than Ross Lyon seems to think so.

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is our forward line struggling then, because we are playing a resting ruck instead of a forward that can ruck?

No, the issue is that we are 1 tall short on most teams. So they have 3 tall defenders to play on our 2 tall forwards. Playing 2 talls + a ruckman in the forward line means they have to play man on man and gives all the talls more of a chance to have a 1 on 1 contest.

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah nah. Stop talking rubbish.

The recruiters haven't picked up a half-talented forward for years.

Not sure how you could know that, since we've never given one more than a couple of games to find out.

Was Apeness so terrible he deserved to be dropped? He seemed to be doing what was asked of him to me. It's not his fault our mids didn't kick it to him.

Lyon clearly rates tackling pressure more than he rates talls. His selections are evidence of that. And on that note he is in disagreement with every other VFL/AFL coach in the history of the league.

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jeremy Cameron had 5 goalless games in his first season.

Like I said, our mids didn't honour his leads. In fact our mids rarely honour the leads of anyone except Pavlich and Ballantyne. We are very predictable on that front. No coincidence we have one of the worst i50-score conversion rates of any top 8 team.

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

Like I said, our mids didn't honour his leads. In fact our mids rarely honour the leads of anyone except Pavlich and Ballantyne. We are very predictable on that front. No coincidence we have one of the worst i50-score conversion rates of any top 8 team.
Fremantle aren't GWS you moron.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle

.......my god

Back