Worst Choke job displayed by your team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 19, 2005. Collingwood v North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium.

Collingwood leading 98 - 80 with about three minutes left on the clock. Commentators speaking about how the Pies were ruining their chances for a priority pick by winning, and how North were letting a finals chance slip by. Sav Rocca takes a mark on the behind line before snapping a goal, reducing the margin to 12 points.

From the next centre bounce, North win the clearance, where Shannon Grant gathers and sends a mongrel, helicopter kick from outside 50 through for a goal. Now six points in it, couple of minutes to go. Next clearance again goes North's way, handball squirts out to an unmanned Grant, runs to 50 and drills home another major, locking the two teams together on 98 apiece.

Pies win the ball forward from the next centre bounce, where they threaten to score. Glenn Archer throws his body onto the boot of a Collingwood player having a snap at goal. Ball ends up in the hands of Ben Davies (who would cross to North a year after I think), who sends a long ball to about 20m out from the Magpies' goal. Daniel Pratt stands underneath the ball and marks. Gets up and finds Daniel Wells free on a half back flank. Wells kicks up the wing to Boomer Harvey who plays on, taking a bounce and then hitting Nathan Thompson on the chest just inside 50 on a tight angle. About a minute left on the clock, which continues to tick as Thompson gets ready to take his shot.

Needing just a point to win the game, Thompson drills a long goal, celebrating with a double cobra fist pump. About five seconds left on the clock at the next centre bounce, North win the ball forward again, where Drew Petrie almost juggles a mark as the siren sounds. Had he have marked it and kicked a goal, it would've been North Melbourne's fifth goal in the final three minutes of the match.

Have watched the final moments of this game so many times as a kid.

2002 semi vs Adelaide. The ultimate choke-off. We were 40 points down at quarter time and lead by four goals at three quarter time yet got done by two goals. Unbelievable game.

Not my own team, not even in the AFL - 2013 Northern Football League Grand Final between Montmorency and Bundoora - Mont were up by 47 with 25 minutes played in the third quarter, ended up losing by five goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the first one I thought of. Jesus I was furious.

This one is right up there also. The amount of things that went wrong to snatch the win from us that night was mind boggling. Worse still is that the fact that we drew this ultimately meant that we had to travel to WA first week of the finals which ended our season. Sliding doors moment.

upload_2015-1-25_10-44-14.png

Round 23, 2011 vs Essendon really hurt. After a long and painful season we lead 107-73 in the last quarter and looked like we could enjoy a rare, comfortable win. But yeah the rest was a disgrace and I'm still waiting for that game to be made up for :(

Probably not the worst but I will always remember being at a Richmond/Sydney game at the MCG in 2010.

We were up by 33 points with 10 minutes to go in the 3rd. Richmond then kick 8.3 to 2.2 for the rest of the game.
51-14.

Lost by 4 points.

2006 prelim when you lead for 3 quarters against us at home would come close ;)

Well that game was certainly choked but I don't count it as our worst because of our miserable luck with injuries at the time. Firstly we didn't have Ricciuto that finals series due to parvovirus which is pretty bloody ridiculous in itself. He was our most influential player at the time. Then in the actual game we lose our ruck to an ACL in the first quarter. Neil Craig had miserable luck when it came to injuries gong into finals. Ofcourse it still counts as a massive choke but probably not our worst.

2002 semi vs Adelaide. The ultimate choke-off. We were 40 points down at quarter time and lead by four goals at three quarter time yet got done by two goals. Unbelievable game.

If it's any consolation, that game was excruciating for Crows supporters as well.

Last edited:
We've had many bad chokes over the years:

2014 - bungled out of finals in straight sets - ouch!
2014 100 point loss to Sydney at the SCG
2013 PF loss to Hawthorn made more embarrassing by Scott's "Job's done!" comment in round 20.
2013 QF loss to Fremantle at Simonds Stadium
2012 EF loss to Fremantle at the MCG
2010 Prelim versus Collingwood - where the too old, too slow slur was first coined.
2008 GF versus Hawthorn
2006 R10 versus the WCE at Simonds Stadium, lead by over 60 going into the last quarter.
Pretty much the whole 2006 season once people declared us Premierships favs after round 2.
2005 SF versus Sydney - bloody Nick Davis.

Then there's the other GF's - 89, 92, 94, & 95 - which created the joke: "What's green and round and swallows cats? The MCG!"

These aren't all chokes. Just because you lost, doesn't mean it's a choke.

I can see why a Cats' fan thinks the 2008 GF and 2005 SF were chokes. And the 2006 game v WCE. But 2013/2014 against the Hawks weren't chokes; 2010 PF v Collingwood wasn't a choke (they were the best side in the comp that year).

We've had many bad chokes over the years:

2014 - bungled out of finals in straight sets - ouch!
2014 100 point loss to Sydney at the SCG
2013 PF loss to Hawthorn made more embarrassing by Scott's "Job's done!" comment in round 20.
2013 QF loss to Fremantle at Simonds Stadium
2012 EF loss to Fremantle at the MCG
2010 Prelim versus Collingwood - where the too old, too slow slur was first coined.
2008 GF versus Hawthorn
2006 R10 versus the WCE at Simonds Stadium, lead by over 60 going into the last quarter.
Pretty much the whole 2006 season once people declared us Premierships favs after round 2.
2005 SF versus Sydney - bloody Nick Davis.

Then there's the other GF's - 89, 92, 94, & 95 - which created the joke: "What's green and round and swallows cats? The MCG!"

I think you need a better understanding of the word "choke".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back