Worst coach to be headhunted by another club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call JeffDunne. I raised a Barassi and you saw that with a Blighty. You win.

For the $$ and the extra effort they went to - the head hunting of Blighty is just about the worst result in AFL history.

I disagree with your comments on Gary Ayres. If he was that bad he would never have got Geelong to a Grand Final. The Cats were stiff to play Carlton who were at the top of their power in 1995, having only lost one game all year.

Ayres did get the Crows to a prelim and almost to a GF after running Collingwood close on the MCG.

The guy won two Norm Smith medals and was an outstanding finals player in a great team. He played the game hard and coached accordingly.

And in recent years He has had one of the toughest gigs in footy - taking on a stand a lone team in the VFL and making them a powerhouse. Port Melbourne have continued to be a strong team in a competition dominated by AFL Reserves teams.

Even Barassi, Pagan, Parkin etc, all had teams that didn't fire.

Barassi's time at Melbourne in the 1980's was probably as bad a record of a coach head hunted for a role as any 'head-hunted' coach has been.

Ayres took Geelong to a GF the year after they made one - the team was already there. He left them finishing 11th and 12th. Adelaide won back to back not long before he took over. He left them in 12th.

So he has a VFL flag with Port Melbourne - Mathew Knights has a VFL flag too. 'Nuff said.

Great players don't always make great coaches and Ayres ran two AFL teams into the ground.

Ayres took Geelong to a GF the year after they made one - the team was already there. He left them finishing 11th and 12th. Adelaide won back to back not long before he took over. He left them in 12th.

So he has a VFL flag with Port Melbourne - Mathew Knights has a VFL flag too. 'Nuff said.

Great players don't always make great coaches and Ayres ran two AFL teams into the ground.
Ayres led Geelong in to the Thompson rebuild and an amazing era and Adelaide made a prelim pretty quickly in the Craig era. That might highlight how bad his was but it's not exactly like he ruined the clubs totally.

The way the AFL treats fired senior coaches is actually quite hilarious compared to most other sports and definitely compared to the business world. It completely forgets what made the coach get the job in the first place and also seems to decide the people can't learn from their mistakes.

It's great to see Brett Ratten and Knights have success within AFL clubs, they certainly didn't get it easy as senior coaches.

Rob Walls to Richmond.

Wallsy said he was cooked and shouldn't have taken the job.

Eddie wanted Mick to hang out. The last two years suggests Nathan needed his guidance. Eade hasn't exactly set the world on fire in that role.
I'll do the Collingwood supporters job for them and tell you what crap that is. Buckley has never looked like needing any extra guidance as a senior coach. He's rebuilding the team and they are performing up to standard for a side rebuilding. He's a perfect mix of firm and funny with the media and has had some challenges and kept his cool. It might be bland but he's developing a game style as well. Everything tells me he's better off with Eade who wants to be there than Mick who didn't.

Whether they made the right call to rebuild is for another thread but was presumably a group decision not just Bucks anyway.

Bit unfair. Blight took Geelong to three Grand Finals (basically four), Adelaide to two. He was a great coach but didn't fit what the Saints wanted I guess.
He didn't fit what anyone would want!

Step one as senior coach would be to turn up and be a leader of the place.

Blight may have been the last great truly eccentric coach and it's a shame there might not be more. But he way way crossed the line at the saints.

I don't know - Mick walked into one of the greatest lists ever assembled in West Coast - ever. He didn't have to do anything there except sit back and bask in the glory. Warwick Capper would've won a flag with that team.

If you take the West Coast years out of Micks coaching careers he has one flag in over 20 years and one of the worst win loss records of any coach in the modern era.

Pretty convenient. Why stop there? Take the Collingwood years out and he would have no flags and no grand final appearances. Take the best years out of any coach's career and obviously they would look unimpressive, and have terrible records.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blight at St Kilda would take some beating.

$2m dollars to have a bloke play golf.
Thread said worst coach. There aint many better coaches than blight, they all got finnish up somewhere ,sometime. His issues did have a lot to with certain forces inside st kilda didn't want change. Resented a South Australian coming in and questioning culture.

Thread said worst coach. There aint many better coaches than blight, they all got finnish up somewhere ,sometime.
I don't disagree. Also probably my all-time favourite non-Saints player.

But . . . he had no interest in coaching St Kilda. In fact he had no interest in moving back to Melbourne let alone spending so much time in the southern suburbs of Melbourne.

He was finished as a coach (in his own mind ) & took the job for no other reason than the money.

His issues did have a lot to with certain forces inside st kilda didn't want change. Resented a South Australian coming in and questioning culture.
That had nothing to do with it.

That's simply SA paranoia speaking.

I doubt there would be a club in Victoria that has issues about the origin of a president/coach/player. We're more worried about the club they come from rather than where they grew up.

although the Shaw appointment to Adelaide remains one of footys great football mysteries.

No mystery. the club thought they had a deficiency, thought Shaw could quell those deficiencies.

-Shane bond, 5 goals in the 97 GF, Drafted under shaw.

-Troy bond kicked 4 goals in the 97 GF, Traded under Shaw.

-D Jarman kicked 6 in the same game.Traded under Shaw.

-Simon goodwin, duel premiership player, 250 gamer, captain of AFC, drafted under Shaw.

-Kym koster played very well on the wing, right throughout 97, Traded under Shaw.

-Tyson Edwards, pivotal in 97 prelim, 300 gamer, club best and fairest, drafted under Shaw.

-Andrew mcleod. Two time best on ground in GF, 300 gamer ,club best and fairest, all Australian ect ect, traded under Shaw.,

-Mathew Connel, best and fairest, premiership player. Traded under Shaw.

-Peter Caven, premiership center half back, beat Carey in the 98 GF, Hall in the 97 GF, Traded under Shaw.

-McCartney had a significant role in the premiership year, traded under Shaw.

-Peter Vardy, pivotal in beating Geelong in the 97 semi's drafted under Shaw.

-Kane Johnson. duel premiership player, AFL captain. Drafted under Shaw.

Pagan at Carlton gave it a real shake. 104 games for 25 wins 77 loses and 2 draws.
Beats ol' Kenny boy in the shitness stakes.

No mystery. the club thought they had a deficiency, thought Shaw could quell those deficiencies.

-Shane bond, 5 goals in the 97 GF, Drafted under shaw.

-Mathew Connel, best and fairest, premiership player. Traded under Shaw.

-Peter Caven, premiership center half back, beat Carey in the 98 GF, Hall in the 97 GF, Traded under Shaw.

-McCartney had a significant role in the premiership year, traded under Shaw.

Shane Bond played for West Coast and Port. I assume you mean Shane Ellen.

Jason McCartney played 6 games in 1997.

There is a bit of a grey area between worst coaching appointment and worst coach.

Blight had the pedigree, he just had zero interest in coaching St Kilda and was lured by the moolah. Carlton with Malthouse and Pagan overestimated their list and gave accomplished coaches not much to work with. Malthouse in particular doesn't get off scot free though, after a year in the job and recruiting Daisy there is no chance he thought he had a bottom 6 list.

I stick by Judge because he ticks both boxes. Achieved little in his 4 years at Hawthorn, didn't get on with the WC boys club and delivered miserable results in 2 years at WC. Baffling appointment.

You make a good point. Worst coach vs coach who performed worst.

Blight had the pedigree, he just had zero interest in coaching St Kilda and was lured by the moolah.

I'd heard rumours that he spent a lot of his time at St Kilda on the golf course lol, but it was pretty damning what Kosi said about him on Open Mike recently that he wasn't even around the club anywhere nearly as much as he should have been for a head coach..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back