Worst commentators and their catch phrases

Remove this Banner Ad

Whoever mentioned Gerard Healy and his obsession with 'work rate' is onto a winner. I hadn't noticed it before, but heard it at least 6 times in today's game. And I only watched half of it.

Zemplais is the worst. His commitment to being terrible at commentating is almost impressive.

The sinking feeling I get when I realise he's commentating a game I'm watching is comparable to the feeling I get when the Eagles lose by a point.

H.McLachlan and his pathetically tortured pop culture references, for sure. His co-commentators aren't even bothering to fake laugh, when he decides to pull out something like 'He was like Bruce Willis, in Die Hard, he just found a way.' A homeless man's Cometti, in every respect.

Anthony Hudson's good overall and it's not exactly a catch phrase, but it is annoying when he goes into contrived, ridiculously over-the-top excitement, in what seems to be a blatant 'put this on the next Fox Footy promo' attempt. 'OH GIVE HIM A LONGER CONTRACT!!!!' Ugh...you're a good commentator without that garbage, Huddo.

Basil and Hamish are the worst by a long way and I've noticed Darc is commentating now... chuck in B.T and Bruce and I think we can all agree we are praying to god channel 7 dont get the next tv rights. I like Sandy Roberts just has the right excitement levels in his voice can tell he is passionate about it and its not forced like others. Shame that Clinton Grybris? passed away he was quality

If Clinton Grybas was still alive, he would be the best commentator, he was amazing, so sad he passed away. Today the best are Sandy Roberts, Eddie Mcguire, Huddo... That is it... The rest are a complete and utter joke..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew Campbell hasn't had much of a mention in here... What do people think of him?

The Alien was so bored during yesterdays 'cliffhanger' finish at Adelaide oval that he could barely bother commenting at all.

"Boak" pause "Wingard" 5 sceond pause "gray" 2 second pause "monfries" "ryder" 5 second pause "Naitanui" pause ....and on and on for the qtr I watched.

I know some people think he is the best commentator going around. I find him to be the worst by a country mile. Banal, boring, dull voiced kook with the worst bullshit excited drone that he turns up when he thinks he needs to. Horrid.

Not bad, not good. Very mediocre, vanilla, inoffensive etc. So top 3 probably.

I agree totally, he is not over the top and does not try to be funny but doesn't bring much at all, so I give him a pass and 4th on the list of best commentators.

I used to hate Bruce and his style of commentating but now I love him! He obviously comes off as gay but there's something about the way he does it. Seems to pick the right moment.

Maybe a bit biased here but the missed kick in from last years Grand Final when Hodge intercepted it: "Oh danger... Hodge will cut it off and kick his second. He can feel that cup in his hands I reckon"*

And at the end of the game: "this great team... The best team of the last 50 years has created its masterpiece. They've never been better than this"

Then this this:

Yes, you are biased and so is Bruce I feel. Complete man-love for Hawthorn and Cyril Rioli. Felt like Bruce was actually celebrating that entire game and it was awful for the neutral viewer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back