Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Jan 8, 2001
On the 'Group W' bench.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
My 6YO wants to know who the worst ever bulldog player I have seen is. I could only think of Allistair Ford but I'm sure you guys can come up with some more names.

So who is it?

Suprised you didn't tell him Ben Harrison local! ;)

Nick Bruton would have to be up there with the worst of them, Paul Dooley's another who just couldn't cut it at the top level, David Round who was a great high school footballer, but not worth a pinch of ******** (see a pattern here?) Any number of Klieman's picks...

I'm sure i can come up with more later.

Sporty Spice said:
Suprised you didn't tell him Ben Harrison local! ;)

Nick Bruton would have to be up there with the worst of them, Paul Dooley's another who just couldn't cut it at the top level, David Round who was a great high school footballer, but not worth a pinch of ******** (see a pattern here?) Any number of Klieman's picks...

I'm sure i can come up with more later.
Paul DiGuivine (sp?), Ricky Symes, Jay Solomon, Anthony Aloi....

Gee, it's a long list.

And some people on this board have the gall to bag Scotty Clayton.

scooter600x said:
Paul DiGuivine (sp?), Ricky Symes, Jay Solomon, Anthony Aloi....

Gee, it's a long list.

And some people on this board have the gall to bag Scotty Clayton.

None of those are Clayton selections are they? There all Kleiman specials.

localyokel said:
None of those are Clayton selections are they? There all Kleiman specials.

All Kleiman...

Ching - Jay and Anthony both played senior games from memory. I'm pretty sure the other two didn't.

Easy question to answer with quite a few standouts:

1. Mark Cullen - For consistently producing crap and yet still getting picked each week because he could run. Most supporters believed he should keep running out of the ground and out of the club.

2. Terry DeKonning - For just being a big bloke who was inept at just about everything.

3. Mark Komp - Basically this bloke could not kick and had the weirdest kicking style. Have no idea how he actually got games, but I guess it shows how bad we were in the early 80s.

4. Robert Groenewagon - Useless would be an understatement, in fact the only thing he did was allow Hawkins to re-sign with the club, as long as we kept Gronner on the list.

5. John Riley - Recruited as the great white saviour, proved to be the crappiest player to ever come out of SA. Thankfully he didn't play many games which saves him from being the worst player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone remember Terry DeKonning. Fits right in with the names mentioned above. Bruce Reid used to frustrate me as well. To think he played in a premiership with Carlton.

Sedat Sir was the biggest nightmare. Only thing I can remember him doing that made me proud was in 97 cleaning up Mercuri in front of the Ponsford stand goals. Totally killed him and got reported, which meant he couldn't play seniors for a while. Winners hand!!!!

Surprised that Jakovich hasn't come up yet, but I guess everyone thinks of his achievements at Melbourne!

Knackers said:
5. John Riley - Recruited as the great white saviour, proved to be the crappiest player to ever come out of SA. Thankfully he didn't play many games which saves him from being the worst player for us.
He was given a car as an inducement to come over from SA nad played only one game. I can't recall why. Had he persevered, he probably would have been pretty good. Someone put up Richard Cousins. Not a champion at all but nowhere near the worst. Alan Barr for mine.

Yeah, Kleiman.......

Mike2j7 put in Cameron Mckenzie-McHarg which sort of surprised me, as he wasn't as bad as many others mentioned here.
When he was delisted he was taken by Super to Coburg(?) to keep an eye on him.

Knackers said:

Do you know why he only played one game? Tell why he was proven to be the crappiest player ever out of SA......

Dog 36 said:
Shane Ellen, Phil Cronan, Chris Hansen,

These 3 far from the worst.
Especially Hansen.

I nominated Cousins becuase he came with big raps as our new 'CHF' as we had none at the time. Couldn't play there, went into the ruck as Purser retired, and couldn't play there. Basically we had to promote a very green Scott Wynd.

Ching said:
These 3 far from the worst.
Especially Hansen.

I nominated Cousins becuase he came with big raps as our new 'CHF' as we had none at the time. Couldn't play there, went into the ruck as Purser retired, and couldn't play there. Basically we had to promote a very green Scott Wynd.

Cousins had a good year in 88 in the ruck.

I remember speaking to Mark Bayes the former Swan about him in 87 and asked his opinion. He just shook his head with a wry smile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back