Genre parody movies

Epic movie
Date movie
Scary movie series
Meet the Spartans
Disaster movie
Superhero movie
Vampires suck

You could possibly include Hot Fuzz in the genre, but it doesn't deserve to be mentioned along with these shitheaps.
Hot Fuzz had a coherent plot, the above don't they're more a collection of skits I think that is where the difference lays.

Genre parody movies

Epic movie
Date movie
Scary movie series
Meet the Spartans
Disaster movie
Superhero movie
Vampires suck

You could possibly include Hot Fuzz in the genre, but it doesn't deserve to be mentioned along with these shitheaps.
Technically Austin Powers would be considered a parody too, but I still think that was decent (for what it was anyway)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are great films and works of art in all genres.

The failure lies with the filmmakers, not the genre they're working in. You could argue that a particular genre draws more bad filmmakers, but it would be impossible to quantify considering the sheer amount of bad films that exist in all genres.

There are great films and works of art in all genres.

The failure lies with the filmmakers, not the genre they're working in. You could argue that a particular genre draws more bad filmmakers, but it would be impossible to quantify considering the sheer amount of bad films that exist in all genres.
So what are some great horror comedies, musicals, romcoms?

So what are some great horror comedies, musicals, romcoms?
As Good as it Gets
Love Actually
Silver Linings Playbook
Pretty Woman
(500) Days of Summer
Legally Blonde
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Knocked Up
Jerry Maguire

Shall I go on?

As Good as it Gets
Love Actually
Silver Linings Playbook
Pretty Woman
(500) Days of Summer
Legally Blonde
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Knocked Up
Jerry Maguire

Shall I go on?
Yes as you didn't name a single horror comedy or musical. And some of those you named are really more just general comedies

Yes as you didn't name a single horror comedy or musical. And some of those you named are really more just general comedies
Hence I bolded romcoms :p

40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up could be argued as general comedies, but the rest are definitely romantic comedies.

Musicals had their day in the golden age of Hollywood. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Singing In The Rain are two fantastic films and GPB would have worked without any music at all as a straight comedy. The last musical I saw that I liked was Evita which came out in 1996 (maybe biased because I do love Madonna) and it was essentially a film adapted from the stage musical version of the play. Didn't care for Moulin Rouge or Chicago and Burlesque was horrible (mainly due to it being a "star vehicle" for Christina Aguilera who just warbled and wailed her way through it - Cher was great in her support role fwiw).

I loved the 80's slasher flicks as a kid (Elm Streets, Shocker, Friday13th) and the like but they are hardly great films. Horror is a really tricky genre to get right though because if it isn't scary then it doesn't work but how do you scare an audience in 2015?

Singin' In The Rain, Grease and Hairspray are all good musicals.

One very good but under-rated romantic comedy is "I Give It A Year", despite staring well-know actors in Rose Byrne, Anna Faris, Minnie Driver and Steven Marchent. It is brilliant.

Some horror comedies fit well into the "So Bad They're Good" category, such as Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back