Movie Worst film genre

Remove this Banner Ad

tucker and dale vs. evil is a masterpiece.
Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead 2
Tusk
Zombieland
Ghostbusters 1 & 2
The Cabin in the Woods
The Return of the Living Dead
Gremlins 1 & 2
American Werewolf in London
Beetlejuice
Young Frankenstein
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Slither
The Lost Boys
Bad Taste
Tremors
Arachnophobia
Army of Darkness

The OP is seriously mentally irregular if he/she thinks horror comedy is the worst genre in film.

Last edited:
So what are some great horror comedies, musicals, romcoms?

I can't speak for the horror-comedies as it's not a genre I have great familiarity with, so it wouldn't be fair of me, but Shaun of the Dead is a fantastic example of how to do such a movie.

As for Musicals and Romantic Comedies…well, there's a s**t ton. Musicals were a huge and very influential part of American cinema in particular, and there have been numerous great musicals from: Singin' in the Rain, 42nd Street, the works of Busby Berkeley, Vincente Minnelli, Bob Fosse, and numerous others. West Side Story, Wizard of Oz and some of the other more notable classics all have their great moments too. It's a genre with a rich history.

As for Romcoms, well, it's definitely in a bad place at the moment, but comedies with strong romance elements, or romances with strong comedic elements have been huge since the thirties, and some of the greatest directors of all time have worked within the genre. Howard Hawks, Ernst Lubitsch, Woody Allen, Frank Capra, Billy Wilder, Preston Sturges, George Cukor, and a ton of others. Even in the modern era, Nora Ephron and Albert Brooks have their solid points, and you still get a film like "Enough Said" from a couple years ago which was solid enough. In fact, romcoms need to actually look to the past and remember how good the genre can be. Again, it's a genre with a rich history.

Do you agree it is horror comedy?
Still wanna know some great horror comedies and musicals. Because I can't think of one. It is very subjective however
ghostbusters.gif

I dont think you can debunk an entire genre. There are classic movies in all fields, even Rom Coms, which I personally loathe.

I'd rather put it down to a certain director or artist i.e: anything with Seth Rogen starring in it, or anything directed by Michael Bay or Paul W. S. Anderson.

Lets be honest, if you see those names in a film, it's definitely gonna be s**t.

I dont think you can debunk an entire genre. There are classic movies in all fields, even Rom Coms, which I personally loathe.

I'd rather put it down to a certain director or artist i.e: anything with Seth Rogen starring in it, or anything directed by Michael Bay or Paul W. S. Anderson.

Lets be honest, if you see those names in a film, it's definitely gonna be s**t.

Seth Rogen on his own is bearable.

Seth Rogen AND James Franco together however...well that fits into this thread quite well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you have brock lesnar as your avatar?!?
I don't see the relation.

Ijust dont like action movies, the story comes second and its all about gun fights and big explosions. No thanks.

Ijust dont like action movies, the story comes second and its all about gun fights and big explosions. No thanks.

Titanic is the best action movie ever. Fights, shooting guns, murder, giant ship sinking. People don't think of it as an action movie because it was marketed as a love story, the Celine Dion song was always on the radio (it's not in the movie until the end credits), and it won Oscars.

Genre parody movies

Epic movie
Date movie
Scary movie series
Meet the Spartans
Disaster movie
Superhero movie
Vampires suck

You could possibly include Hot Fuzz in the genre, but it doesn't deserve to be mentioned along with these shitheaps.

There is a clear and substantive difference between the "....... Movie" which are assembly line, straight-to-DVD flicks as compared to your genuine genre parodies eg Hot Fuzz, Austin Powers, Naked Gun. It can be seen through the writing, budget, production, acting and ultimately, intelligent humour that is contained. Even Not Another Teen Movie, which shares some characteristics of the list you have provided is at a level above.

In general, I believe that all genres can be good or bad. To be honest. I'm getting superhero movie fatigue at the moment.

Still wanna know some great horror comedies and musicals. Because I can't think of one. It is very subjective however

For horror comedies, Toxic Avenger springs straight to mind, I'm sure I'll think of others.

Musicals? Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors, Calamity Jane, The Wizard of Oz, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain, Anchors Aweigh, Meet Me in St Louis, Rocky Horror, Cabaret, Hello Dolly, Brigadoon, Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Cat Balou, Yankee Doodle Dandy, there's dozen of them.

Genre parody movies

Epic movie
Date movie
Scary movie series
Meet the Spartans
Disaster movie
Superhero movie
Vampires suck

You could possibly include Hot Fuzz in the genre, but it doesn't deserve to be mentioned along with these shitheaps.

Flying High / Airplane
Top Secret

Remove this Banner Ad

Back