Worst Grunt In Tennis

Remove this Banner Ad

Azarenka is the worst because she doesn't even attempt to disguise it as a 'grunt' of exertion but rather she hoots a good second after hitting it. Despicable player.

This, I really struggle to like Azarenka as a tennis player especially after her antics during the Sloane Stephens match.

This, I really struggle to like Azarenka as a tennis player especially after her antics during the Sloane Stephens match.

What probably irks me the most about her (and Pova also) is that they really, really don't need to do it. They are exceptionally talented players anyway who shouldn't be relying on such unsporting and unappealing bullshit. Of course, as you alluded to, I'd probably still hate her even without the noise because of her turd personality..

I'm surprised too, I'm easily annoyed. But the tennis grunting has never bothered me. I even welcome it sometimes as a bit of atmosphere.
Ditto, it's never bothered me. I can tune it out most of the time, both while watching and playing. It's remarkable how many people just can't handle it though. I'm the campaigner that tests the opponent with grunts; if they don't deal with it well I'll play on it and watch them get more and more frustrated. All part of the game.

That said, the players that push the boundaries of acceptable and not acceptable irk me a little - the likes of Azarenka, where the climax of the grunt comes dangerously close to being after the ball's crossed the net. If it's a genuine grunt on impact then most of the time I barely notice it as my focus/attention is elsewhere. Particularly if I'm playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember a couple of years ago against Li Na the Chinese player, Azarenka was taking injury breaks because she was tired. Li Na was gaining momentum when Azarenka took an injury break.

So you grunt as well as part of gamesmanship? Its cheating.
How exactly is it cheating? The boundaries are clearly defined - no noise as the ball crosses the net, no impeding of the opponent's shot, and no obnoxious, over-the-top noise. I don't cross any of these limits, nor do I get close (and nor have I ever had a complaint or warning about it). But I've played guys that fly off the handle at pretty much anything. I've played a guy that started screaming and swearing (and missing pretty much every shot) because I was apparently putting too much top spin on my shots. :drunk: Mental strength is such a huge part of tennis, as is targeting areas of the opponent's game that perhaps aren't as sound as others. FWIW if I grunt it's extremely tame and in the motion of the shot. Some people have an extremely low tolerance for it though. If somebody is going to flip out because of something within the rules (that's also extremely common in tennis) then that's something they need to overcome on the court.

It's not something I do all the time - it's pretty rare actually - but I don't really see it as being any different to targeting other weaknesses, like continuously going back to the weaker wing, for example. I don't see it being much different to people who carry on with obnoxious celebrations in order to make a statement either. As long as it's done within the limits and it's not obnoxious, it's fair game. I get why people don't like it but I don't understand the, "It's cheating," line at all.

Last edited:
azarenka and sharapova

Agree. Joint winners for mine, with daylight to the rest. The men's grunting I don't find anywhere near as irritating (although I don't like it either) simply because it's not as high pitched. The screeching of Azarenka and Sharapova make them unwatchable for me.

It's interesting that not many of the Ausies grunt or screech, the only one I can think of is Gavrilova. Presumably she was 'trained' in Europe. Is the screeching/grunting a European thing?

Agree. Joint winners for mine, with daylight to the rest. The men's grunting I don't find anywhere near as irritating (although I don't like it either) simply because it's not as high pitched. The screeching of Azarenka and Sharapova make them unwatchable for me.

It's interesting that not many of the Ausies grunt or screech, the only one I can think of is Gavrilova. Presumably she was 'trained' in Europe. Is the screeching/grunting a European thing?

Yes! The men's grunting doesn't annoy me and it's not over the top. Even Nadal grunts especially when there's a long rally.

Whereas, Sharapova and Azarenka's grunting is just too much and unnatural! There's no reason to grunt that much and it seems like at one stage the players were getting trained to add grunting into their game

Does anyone know if Sharapova was grunting like she does now when she won Wimbledon as a 16 yr old?

I don't think she did from memory as I initially really liked her.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Try and watch the final between sharapova and Williams when she won it as a 17 year old. Hardly a sound made and she was so much more likeable.

Its disgusting what she does now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back