Worst HTB decision in finals history against Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

I ******* hate crowd decisions so much.

You can tell when the umpire is going to give one as well. They let it go on for an extra few seconds so they can build up the atmosphere and so the crowd works into a frenzy. Then they do their little mince around, blow the whistle and the crowd goes ballistic. They ******* love that s**t. ******* campaigners.

I also hate how goal umpires have to this bending over bullshit as well:
AFL-Goal-297x202.jpg

You don't have to make me ******* question your sexuality more than I do for Bruuuuce just so that you can see if it's a goal or a behind. Just ******* stand normally and move normally you weird campaigners. My favourite AFL moments ever were when Liam Picken snapped the goal umpires leg and when Troy Pannell got knocked the * out. Both wouldn't have happened if you didn't spend your time running around backwards with your bizarre high knees or your creepy as * bending down. It's akin to turning your radio down when you're trying to find the right house. ******* campaigners.

After watching the replay a couple of key points. After the smother Ebert held Hodge but no free kick was given. The port player that took possession was tackled and made no attempt to dispose of the ball which is a free kick. The Mongries-lake clash at the end wasn't a free as the ball squeezed out of the pack.

Spot on, but this is Bigfooty where people don't want facts or the truth.
People also like to ignore the fact of why Lake was going for the one handed mark, Monfries was tugging on his other arm! Or the fact that when the ball hit the ground Monfries jumped straight onto his head.

For anyone thinking the free against Gibbo was there, well your hatred has certainly taken over.
Only one player could have marked that ball and it was Gibbo. Such was the Monfires effort in trying to milk the free, he actually jumped far too early into Gibbo and the ball cleared him comfortably.

Spot on, but this is Bigfooty where people don't want facts or the truth.
People also like to ignore the fact of why Lake was going for the one handed mark, Monfries was tugging on his other arm! Or the fact that when the ball hit the ground Monfries jumped straight onto his head.

For anyone thinking the free against Gibbo was there, well your hatred has certainly taken over.
Only one player could have marked that ball and it was Gibbo. Such was the Monfires effort in trying to milk the free, he actually jumped far too early into Gibbo and the ball cleared him comfortably.

The monfries goal that resulted from this disgraceful decision against Gibson kick started port's revival. There is a strong argument that if not for this baffling decision then the game would never have tightened up as much as it did

That's a ball up every day of the week.

Mitchell got awarded an HTB in the first quarter that was just as bad. The Port player took possession and was immediately tackled. Even though it lead to a goal the shite commentators didn't even mention it.

...and them must make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball.

Some people still don't understand this rule.

Mind you I am not surprised, it is the most randomly applied rule in the whole game.

You are right that would often be a ball up, but it is also HTB. The laws of the game committee need to tighten this one.

Thread needs more references to the two decisions that kick started Hawthorn's run in the second quarter:

1. A ludicrously soft holding the man call 100m away from the play, Hawks get a goal for something that happens 200 times a game.

2. Moments later, a pathetic lack of judgment by the umpire to pay a 50 when the Hawks player clearly went to play on.

Bang bang, two goals, momentum shift to Hawthorn when they were struggling, and the Hawks end up winning by less than a goal. The quality of umpiring in our sport is a scandal.

exactly- hawks couldn't get neaar it and all of a sudden- 2 bs frees gifted them 2 goals and gave them belief.

But as a cats fan you should know what it's like to have umps win you a game ;)

You can tell when the umpire is going to give one as well. They let it go on for an extra few seconds so they can build up the atmosphere and so the crowd works into a frenzy. Then they do their little mince around, blow the whistle and the crowd goes ballistic. They ******* love that s**t. ******* campaigners.

AFL-Goal-297x202.jpg

You don't have to make me ******* question your sexuality more than I do for Bruuuuce just so that you can see if it's a goal or a behind. Just ******* stand normally and move normally you weird campaigners. My favourite AFL moments ever were when Liam Picken snapped the goal umpires leg and when Troy Pannell got knocked the **** out. Both wouldn't have happened if you didn't spend your time running around backwards with your bizarre high knees or your creepy as **** bending down. It's akin to turning your radio down when you're trying to find the right house. ******* campaigners.
I think you might need some help mate

Poor decision by the umps, but it clearly wasn't the only one in that game for either side. If you're looking to blame something for Port losing look to their kicking in the first, they dominated the Hawks for a quarter and yet were still only slightly ahead, that's completely on the players and their inability to convert chances into goals.

Great game all up though, Port continue to impress as they have all season.

If anyone watched the WAFL GF the umpiring was pretty good when it came to these HTB decisions.

Quick whistles and none of this just let it play out crap.

If you take the ball and are immediately tackled I don't see why you should try to get rid of it, stupid rule and idea.

AFL-Goal-297x202.jpg

You don't have to make me ******* question your sexuality more than I do for Bruuuuce just so that you can see if it's a goal or a behind. Just ******* stand normally and move normally you weird campaigners. My favourite AFL moments ever were when Liam Picken snapped the goal umpires leg and when Troy Pannell got knocked the **** out. Both wouldn't have happened if you didn't spend your time running around backwards with your bizarre high knees or your creepy as **** bending down. It's akin to turning your radio down when you're trying to find the right house. ******* campaigners.

Turn it up. Do something courageous pick u up a whistle and turn your keyboard and computer off. Try it, you will soon see how difficult it is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why the umpires have put so much confusion into the holding the ball rule.

And not just that, the dropping the ball is almost dead. I've seen umps call play on when a player has either clearly dropped the ball out of a tackle or disposed of it incorrectly, e.g handed the ball / throw to another player rather then handball it which is illegal disposal. Sometimes they call it but most of the times they call play on.

It's easy. If a player dives on the ball with intent to hold it in, call HTB. If the ball lands on a player and is immediately tackled, BLOW THE WHISTLE. Hearing the umpires say " KNOCK IT OUT " two times then calling HTB is frustrating. Especially when a minute later they do the total opposite of this and blow the whistle for a ball up straight away.

Fans and players are so confused by it all and it's not that hard to work out. They need to re-structure the ruling back to how it was, say 6 years ago. From memory it was fine then

...and them must make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball.

Some people still don't understand this rule.

Mind you I am not surprised, it is the most randomly applied rule in the whole game.

You are right that would often be a ball up, but it is also HTB. The laws of the game committee need to tighten this one.

If someone is smother tackled the instant they get possession it's a ball up. The Mitchell HTB in the first quarter that gave Hawthorn a goal was another example of the umpires getting a hard on by becoming the centre of attention.

If someone is smother tackled the instant they get possession it's a ball up. The Mitchell HTB in the first quarter that gave Hawthorn a goal was another example of the umpires getting a hard on by becoming the centre of attention.

That's under your rules, not the laws of the game. I agree to a point there is more leniency given the lesser the time between taking possession and getting tackled.

The umpiring in the VFL final yesterday was in complete contrast to our AFL clowns. No contentious HTBs, in the back or "high" free kicks paid when a pack formed.

Just a quick whistle, ball-up and the game continued to flow. Simple stuff really.

Thread needs more references to the two decisions that kick started Hawthorn's run in the second quarter:

1. A ludicrously soft holding the man call 100m away from the play, Hawks get a goal for something that happens 200 times a game.

2. Moments later, a pathetic lack of judgment by the umpire to pay a 50 when the Hawks player clearly went to play on.

Bang bang, two goals, momentum shift to Hawthorn when they were struggling, and the Hawks end up winning by less than a goal. The quality of umpiring in our sport is a scandal.
Both correct calls, Especially number 2, If you knock the ball out of a players hands without play-on being called it's an automatic 50, How hard is it to realise that?

Are you upset that Dureya didn't slow down to a complete stop after taking a mark on the run?

The Tom Jonas holding the ball was a brutal decision i admit. The Lake one at the end? No f**king way that is paid, It's left alone 9 times out of 10 in the AFL season mid-game let alone calling it with 2 seconds to go in a Prelim final in the 50. As i pointed out we got some horrific calls against us in the last quarter as well, the Polec run down from roughead which was called in the back was horrific. Some really weird calls you dont expect in a finals game which should be left for players to win and determine the result wasn't really carried out at points

Last edited:
Both correct calls, Especially number 2, If you knock the ball out of a players hands without play-on being called it's an automatic 50, How hard is it to realise that?

If a player is running forward, takes the mark, slows down and stops, so that he can then play on, he still hasn't played on yet

The ball is knocked out of his hands, before he has played on

Easy 50m penalty decision

If you want to see ridiculous 50m penalties check out the first quarter of the 2008 Prelim Hawks v Saints

Are you upset that Dureya didn't slow down to a complete stop after taking a mark on the run?

The Tom Jonas holding the ball was a brutal decision i admit. The Lake one at the end? No f**king way that is paid, It's left alone 9 times out of 10 in the AFL season mid-game let alone calling it with 2 seconds to go in a Prelim final in the 50. As i pointed out we got some horrific calls against us in the last quarter as well, the Polec run down from roughead which was called in the back was horrific. Some really weird calls you dont expect in a finals game which should be left for players to win and determine the result wasn't really carried out at points
The Gunston one was utterly pathetic. If that's a free then Tom Hawkins and Buddy Franklin should each have received about 8000 frees this season.

Dureya - he took several steps forward and then changed direction, clearly intending to play on. The umpire should have recognised that it wasn't a simple case of the ball being slapped out of his hand for no reason, it was clearly the Port player's instinct to try to prevent a player getting past him with the ball. They frequently let those go.

Lake - I don't think it should have been paid. The reason it is getting highlighted is that it was so similar to the one moments before that was paid. As usual, it's the inconsistency which really pisses people off.

But the point is that as soon as you slap the ball out of the hands of a player when the ball is not in play it's an automatic 50 there is no grey area for this. It's not judging on a situation like half the rules in the league, Should the umpire have not followed the rules? If Polec Tackled him does the umpire go "Well thats an automatic 50 but because Polec was confused i'll allow it!" you need to play to the whistle.

With the Gunston, It's when the port bloke put his arms around him, The bumping stuff is fine and happens a lot, as soon as he put his hands on and Gunston went to lead it was over. Considering a lot of key forwards often start the body-work on the defenders might of influenced his decision, I know watching on-field Hawkins/Franklin/Cloke/Roughead and both WCE forwards often start contact while Gunston is much more comfortable leading might of been the issue, Im not sure. It's a hard one because we had no look at exactly what is happening around the ground and how often it happens when your sitting on the couch

TLDR. You dont know exactly how much it happened in this game, if the umpire has warned the defender previously to cut it out or not.

I think it was a square up.

Hodge smothered Ebert's kick and then Ebert tackled him as Hodge tried to step forward and reach down to get the ball.
Hodge then leaned back with arms out and appealed - a free kick every day of the week for someone like Ablett, Judd or Selwood
Umpire can be heard yelling, "Play on! Play on!"

Crazy… It was a clear "holding the man" infringement against Ebert which went unpenalised.

Ebert then sort of dived on the ball - not a full dive - he landed in a weird crouch which may have confused the umpire, or maybe the umpire's view was slightly obstructed. Or maybe it was a square up for the "holding the man" free kick he missed split second earlier. Umpires often do that when they know they stuffed up.

Laughable that people compared the Ebert HTB decision to Lake diving on the ball at the very end. Lake didn't even have the ball!!! He dived on it, then pushed it back between his legs. Gunstan briefly had his hands on the leather as Monfries desperately wrested the ball back. The ball even popped loose for a second before Monfries grabbed it and pushed it against Lake so he could claim a bullshit free. Lake is lying face down and looking at the umpire with Monfries sitting on his back and pinning the ball against his left leg.

Can you imagine the collective uproar if an umpire paid Hawthorn a free kick like that in our forward line and it led to the Hawks pinching a match-winning goal in the final seconds? The Big Footy servers wouldn't be able to cope with the meltdown.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back