Worst Losses and Best Wins

Remove this Banner Ad

OhhDeledio

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Got this idea from another board - What has been the worst loss and best win in your time supporting Richmond?

There are 2 that standout to me:
1. v Geelong Round 6 2007. It was all over after the 1st quater as we got absoluley destroyed. Foley and Tuck looked like the only ones that wanted to be there. I remeber the fans spitting and swearing and throwing **** at them after it. It was a very dark day for the club

2. v Gold Coast Round 16 2012. I've never been more pissed off after a game than this one. I was mad that we lost but what made it even worse was that Karmichael Hunt was the one who kicked the winning goal. This was also Gold Coast's first win of the season.

Also the EF this year against Port.

One of the best wins for me would probably be the game this year v Sydney. To come from equal last at 3-10 and win 9 in a row and make the finals was awesome. Shame we couldn't capitalize in the finals. Another one i reckon was one of the best was v Sydney in 2010, when Andy Collins got knocked out and came back on to win the game was something i'll remember for years to come. Jack also had a outstanding game that day and was one of the main reasons we won.

Last edited:
Got this idea from another board - What has been the worst loss in your time supporting Richmond?

There are 2 that standout to me:
1. v Geelong Round 6 2007. It was all over after the 1st quater as we got absoluley destroyed. Foley and Tuck looked like the only ones that wanted to be there. I remeber the fans spitting and swearing and throwing **** at them after it. It was a very dark day for the club

2. v Gold Coast Round 16 2012. I've never been more pissed off after a game than this one. I was mad that we lost but what made it even worse was the Karmichael Hunt kicked the winning goal. This was also Gold Coast's first win of the season.

Also the EF this year against Port.

This for me nails it. Plus all the other losses to that bloody mob.

For me, chocking in the EF final against the Blues last year kills me also. Thet didn't even qualify and we still lost :mad::mad::mad:

Losing to Melbourne this year did it for me to.

There's been far too many though LOL

Melbourne this year was as s**t as it gets. Rogers and Kellaways farewell against Essendon was pretty ordinary as well.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

Change this thread to ' Worse loss and Best win ' sick of these negative nellie threads.

Worse Loss = carlton rnd 1 2009, gutted with the realization that we were going to struggle, was the worst year I have been through.

Best Win = Essendon 2007, the sheedy/cheat farewell, was so great seeing those flog supporters completely lose it.

Change this thread to ' Worse loss and Best win ' sick of these negative nellie threads.

Worse Loss = carlton rnd 1 2009, gutted with the realization that we were going to struggle, was the worst year I have been through.

Best Win = Essendon 2007, the sheedy/cheat farewell, was so great seeing those flog supporters completely lose it.

I wanted to scratch my eyes out that night. I remember the sponsorship function a few weeks later there was so much tension in the room. You knew things weren't right.

1st time we played gold coast

when we finally beat carlton last year

The loss to Melbourne this year was a pretty big dagger in the heart.

I'm not going to just give one win and say it was great. For mine our consecutive chain of wins this year were the best, not only because of the feat it was, but nearing the end of the season, constantly not knowing what our destination was (albeit not that great in the end) gave you the biggest smile and high after every W we got.

Worst lose: Maybe not worse than some of the other above, but for the sake of being different, I'd say the last game of 1994. The Tigers were sitting on 5 wins - 6 losses by Round 12, then won the next 6 in a row. We looked the goods. We won 3 of the next 6, but needed to beat Geelong at Princess Park to make the finals. I had my hopes up so much that I hitchhiked to Melbourne...

The Cats won by 12 goals. Brownless kicked 8. Paul Bulluss probably still blushes when he sees Big Fat Billy on the telly. But it wasn't his fault. Hocking got 3 votes. Campbell tried hard, but Knighter, Broderick and Bond were flogged. Not sure we even had a forward line (no Richo). Not that it would have made a difference. We couldn't get our hands on the pill all day.

Best win: I think I enjoyed beating Carlton Rnd 1 in 2013 more than any other win. Not our best win, in any way, but I grinned for a month from the second McGuane stuck that tackle in the last quarter. Lukey, everything was forgiven in that moment, and you're always a Tiger to me.

Hmmm, interesting question. I hate most losses, and am often not always super impressed with our wins. When we lose games when we are crap it's not as bad as losing them when we aren't if that makes sense....

Worst loss: It probably isn't but I was so disappointed by the Qualifying final loss to Essendon in 01 after we had beaten them the week before was pretty deflating. Thelast round losses against Melbourne and North that cost us spots in the finals were pretty annoying too. The Gold Coast game where that Hunt kicked a goal was not good for objects around me....

Best win: Ummm. I love re-watching so many of our wins. Some of my favs:

The 08 comeback against Bris at Shitihad
The 03 comeback against the Hawks
Hoggy's 10 in the Mother's Day Massacre of 91
Richo's 200th against Port in 2005
Some random game against Melb in 03 when Richo returns from a dodgy hammy
The Syd, Adel, Essendon wins from this year
The Sydney win in 2010 was great. JR's 10 against WCE was also a highlight.
The Freo win of 2011 at a packed G (well 50k for Freo is packed)
The Dreamtime win when Dean Polo went nuts
Any win against Carlton...
Ok.... I got a bit carried away.... my bad. I just like it when we win!

Worst loss: Carlton Rd. 1 2009. This game just utterly destroyed so many hopes. It was the lowest point I can remember for Richmond. The effects still seem to be felt in a number of players' psyches.

Best wins: The first win against Port, 2010. What a way to break the drought. It wasn't pretty (hell, it was basically mud wrestling), but the sheer joy of snatching that first win was amazing.

Win vs Hawthorn 2013. This was the point where we knew we were going to play finals, and what a way to announce it to the world. I didn't really follow football in 2001, so this marked the first real finals series for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recently -

Round one against Carlton last year was bloody brilliant. Long overdue!

Against sydney this year... Had 8 mates over to watch the game (4 of them tigers) the other 4 virtually have adopted richmond as there second favourite team over the years... And what a day it was, the beers were flowing that night!

The one loss that always sticks on my mind was dreamtime at the G when Richo was robbed... The legend had half his face broken the week before and come out and destroyed Essendon... The roar when he out-bodied Mal Michael, took the mark and ran inside 50 and kicked a goal to put us in front was unbelievable! ... Only for it to come back for a "push in the back" ... Richo genuinely looked heartbroken that night :(

Worst loss had 2 definitely be the melbourne game this year. Never been so angry after a game.
Lucky I was overseas when geelong smacked us in 07.

Best wins I've seen had 2 of been semi final vs essendon in 95 coming from 5 goals down.

Other game was round 22, 97 vs carlton at optus oval being 7 goals down in 2nd qtr and coming back to beat the scum by 2 pts, knocking them out of the finals.

Another 2 that stood out aswell:

Win: The one vs Fremantle in 2010, it was goal for goal all day but Freo started to get on top in the last 10 minutes and i was starting to get worried. But they kept missing so i still thought we were a chance. Then we got a free in the goal square but i forgot what it was for (Think it had something to do with the Dockers interchange). And then Riewoldt took a hanger and put us futher in front. Then Martin kicked the sealer and man, i have never celebrated a goal more than that goal. That win was one of my favourites.

Loss: Round 22 v Port in 2010. We were getting flogged in the first half and we were down by like 12 goals but then we went crazy. We eventually hit the front with about 5m left on the clock. But we couldnt hold on. I was shattered after that, to come back from 70 points down only to lose in the last minute was heart wrenching. It was also cousins last game which made it even worse.

I'll start with the positives. Best wins:
- 1995 v.'s West Coast at Princes Park. Awesome win by 10 goals against a great side.
- 1995 v.'s North when we kicked 9 goals in the first quarter
- Early-90's v.'s Carlton at Waverley, Wayne Campbell kicked the winning goal, was a milestone game for three Carlton players
- All the other usual suspects like 95 v.'s Essendon, beating Sydney this year, Hawthorn in 2012/13
- Watched us beat the mighty Hawks in '85 when we were on the way down, and they were great. Roachy kicked 10 and Rioli dominated. That was a great day!

The bad days (apart from the ones already mentioned):
- Late 1995 against North, when the umpires robbed us and Brett Allison took a dive. I lost my shot
- Early 1996 against the AFL-endorsed Swans at Waverley, when Richo shepharded the ball through for a goal to put us in front. Umpires stepped in and paid a free to Dunkley (who's been hanging off Richo all day). Never been more pissed off at a game of footy
- Late-90's against Collingwood when the Rocca brothers killed us, when we were heavily favoured to win
- This year against Melbourne, horrible given what was at stake, and the passing of Tommy
- Early 94 against West Coast, they were 15 goals up at half time when I left. That was the day Mal Brown blew his stack
- The Adelaide game at the dome in 2005'ish when a supporter spat on Frawley

I was at Telstra Dome in 2007 at the Cat annihilation. After watching the warmups and seeing the whole team fumbling, and Richo miss 5 consecutive practice shots to the right, I said (half joking) before the first bounce to my mates I was leaving when we were 100 points down. I left at the 22 minute mark of the 2nd quarter. (Bag me if you want, it was the most pathetic effort I ever saw from a Tiger team). Geelong had only 2 wins from 5 games at that stage and we were winless but had been reasonably competitive in each game - it wasn't as if they were the powerhouse they were to become at that point. I don't think we won a game until about round 12.

Best win - I'll always have a soft spot for the 1995 semi final against the Bombers, and Matthew Knights' magical day (and Scott Turner's shirtfront, when it was still legal, of Gary O'Donnell) - it was a perfect Saturday afternoon. (Pity about the following week - another slaughter, and I still remember Wayne Campbell, no one's idea of a hard man, losing the plot a la Ty Vickery and whacking Paul Couch, but the faithful singing the theme song as we got monstered in the arctic rain at Waverley... we lost with spirit that day).

Another 2 that stood out aswell:

Win: The one vs Fremantle in 2010, it was goal for goal all day but Freo started to get on top in the last 10 minutes and i was starting to get worried. But they kept missing so i still thought we were a chance. Then we got a free in the goal square but i forgot what it was for (Think it had something to do with the Dockers interchange). And then Riewoldt took a hanger and put us futher in front. Then Martin kicked the sealer and man, i have never celebrated a goal more than that goal. That win was one of my favourites.

Loss: Round 22 v Port in 2010. We were getting flogged in the first half and we were down by like 12 goals but then we went crazy. We eventually hit the front with about 5m left on the clock. But we couldnt hold on. I was shattered after that, to come back from 70 points down only to lose in the last minute was heart wrenching. It was also cousins last game which made it even worse.
On the loss, that was Cousins's last game right? I was there and I've never heard a crowd so loud at Etihad.
We technically didn't hit the front because Troy Taylor's goal was disallowed due to some free kick.. Does anyone have footage of that? Then Port piled on 3 goals to seal it. That was such an epic comeback...had we hit the front we would have won it.
That comeback was kickstarted by an epic goal on the boundary by Matt White...

Based on the celebrations that came after, would have to say best wins for me were first beating Collingwood in 2007. Foley was epic, I remember two early center square breaks and him hitting up Polak, and I spent the tram ride back to the city singing the song with a heap of other Richmond fans and chanting "Fooollleeyyyyy, fooollleyyyy" then "Richo richo man, I want to be, a Richo man!"
Another was 2005 against the Hawks, sitting in the stands with my awesome Grandpa who suddenly passed earlier this year, we came from a long way back to win that one.
And then of course Sydney this year, capping off the epic streak, was up on my bed jumping up and down with my mates.

Worst losses, hard to go past the Elimination Final against Carlton last year. I was pissed this year at Port, but more just deflated at what happened after the 9 game winning streak.. But the game against Carlton, those maggots doing the same thing to us AGAIN but this time in our first final in ages.. I threw my beer when the siren went.
Losing to Port in Cousins's last game when we thought we had hit the front after being nearly 70pts down.
And as other posters have mentioned, losing that one to Essendon after we thought Richo had kicked the sealer, that stung.

My last one, a cold night against Melbourne when we needed to win to make the finals. I can't remember what year it was now (late 90s?) but Dad and I ended up leaving early we were so depressed by it..

The roar when he out-bodied Mal Michael, took the mark and ran inside 50 and kicked a goal to put us in front was unbelievable! ... Only for it to come back for a "push in the back" ... Richo genuinely looked heartbroken that night :(

What a cluster-* that was. Still makes me angry. The push in the back call was stiff, but maybe forgivable because the interpretation had been changed, and hey, we all make mistakes. But to pay the 50m penalty as well...

BOOOOO! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I was at Telstra Dome in 2007 at the Cat annihilation. After watching the warmups and seeing the whole team fumbling, and Richo miss 5 consecutive practice shots to the right, I said (half joking) before the first bounce to my mates I was leaving when we were 100 points down. I left at the 22 minute mark of the 2nd quarter.

You were right to leave. They shut the bar at half time. I was crawling around licking puddles on the concrete, hoping one contained sweet, sweet alcohol to numb the pain. Since that day, I always take a small flask in my sock, just in case I need sedating.

On the loss, that was Cousins's last game right? I was there and I've never heard a crowd so loud at Etihad.
We technically didn't hit the front because Troy Taylor's goal was disallowed due to some free kick.. Does anyone have footage of that? Then Port piled on 3 goals to seal it. That was such an epic comeback...had we hit the front we would have won it.
That comeback was kickstarted by an epic goal on the boundary by Matt White...
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2010/22/rich-v-port Match Replay.

Last edited:
Best win - hmmmmm

95 in the wet at Waverley vs Hawks (We kicked 4.16 and won).
95 SF vs Essendon, of course (good year, 95)
2005 v Carlton when we were up by 90 pts in the first half - it would have been nice to go on and win by 150, but hey.....
We've had some notables against Adelaide. I particularly liked the two in the mid-90s where we had gone over the year before and been absolutely slaughtered (100+), but we won the very next game - in Adelaide, again. We did that twice. Also, 'Basketball Crap', 'Pathetic Pittman' etc

Worst loss
2013 EF vs Carlton - almost certainly the worst non-GF-loss in Richmond history
1996 Rd 1 v Bulldogs - Wallace was going to take us to the top, Nathan Brown was back from his broken leg, Coughlan was back from his OP, Wallace knew all about the Dogs from coaching them just a couple of seasons ago, Richo was bulking up to kick 100 goals. Well......... Richo was slow as a wet week, Brown could only run straight lines, Coughlan could hardly run at all, and we lost by 100.
And just a minor one - Rd 16 2011 v Essendon. At the 15 minute mark of the 3rd quarter we had a 23 point lead. In the next quarter-and-a-half, they outscored us 66-4. We just gave up. I nearly did, too.....................................

2013 EF vs Carlton - almost certainly the worst non-GF-loss in Richmond history agree Wallaby
Best win 1980gf as i was there .Still pooping myself when were over 80 points in front with minutes to go
1982 gf loss was a hard pill to swallow, but i thought we would be back again for more joy soon:$ so i wasn't as worried at the time.
This is why 2013 was painful.We did have a great win on the day when my bro and i got $6 on cfc to win a goal into the third. it still was a crap day as i blew a good chunk of the spoils on grog.Went and listened to a crappy country band in a nearby pub to give me another excuse to keep drinking:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back