Worst Reaction after a Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

I live in Adelaide and travel to plenty of games throughout the season so it's always a longer trip home from the ground!

Some of the worst one's I've endured were definitely the 2009 game v Geelong where Bartel kicked the behind after the siren. First of many chokes after being in front for so long.

The 2011 Prelim was horrible. Mainly because I'd driven to Melb and back the previous week for the Semi against Sydney and had done so again the following week for this game. But I went there with low expectations of the outcome, so to be up for most of the game and getting excited about going to my first ever Grand Final the following week (had just upgraded to Gold Interstate member that season), to have it ripped away in the final minutes was pretty horrible. I don't think I moved from my seat for a good 5-10mins after the siren had gone. The 9hr drive home the next morning seemed much longer and lonelier!!

Then the Hawkins goal after the siren was another horrible experience.

2012 Grand Final might just be the worst though given it was my first GF and I (like most of you) was pretty confident of a win! But to cost ourselves the game with our poor kicking made it a bitter pill to swallow. I didn't move from my seat with my hands propping up my chin until the Red and White confetti started shooting out. What made it worse though was all of these Hawthorn 'supporters' around me were saying things like "Oh well, at least we were here." "Sydney were the better team" And "they tried really hard". My God I was ropable!

I left last Sunday smiling, high fiving people. I literally lost the will to care, i was that devo. Last sunday was exactly like Hawkins after the siren.

Port belting by 100 odd over there...i put holes into the walls.

2001 Preliminary Final. I was 19 at the time and had endured 8 years (which is a long time for a yoing hawks fan!) Of mediocrity.

I thought that croad kick was through.... Devastated. After a nail biting final against port the previous week I cried.... just sat there in tears after the final siren. Never been so emotional after a loss.

Not so much a loss, although we did lose, but I flew to Melbourne so I could be there when Jason Dunstall kicked his 1,000th goal. People who were there will remember it well, we played Essendon at the MCG, Dunstall needed 4 to reach the milestone. Half way into the 2nd quarter he booted goal number 999 and the 1,000 seemed assured later in the match.

Essendon got on top and we struggled to get the ball down to Dunstall. Even late in the final term when the game was all over, Sheedy continued to get his players to chip the ball around, starving Dunstall of any chance to kick the elusive goal. Even the Essendon supporters around us knew they had it won and wanted to see the 1,000th goal so they started to get annoyed with their own team.

When the siren rang with Bung still on 999, I was furious. Tore the Football Record into a million pieces, threw it in the bin, maybe even kicked the bin, and started inventing swear words. Stormed back to the hotel and moped around all evening. Bloody Essendon!!!!!!

That was an absolute stinker. In context to the season though, I don't think it made that much difference as there was no way we were going to get past any team that had Darren Goldspink lining up on the ground.
Quite possibly the only person to have a seething hatred of both Hawthorn and Geelong.

Why was there something about 90s/early 00s footy that attracted sad, petty, hateful little men? Was everybody just bumsore about our dominance in the previous decade?

2012 vs. Geelong. The Hawkins goal after the siren. I didn't have foxtel at that stage so was watching a delayed telecast. Poppy's brain-fade punt hadn't happened yet so I was revelling in our supposedly impending victory when my mate (who had foxtel) texted me giving me grief for the loss.

Needless to say, I don't really speak to him any more.

I live in Adelaide and travel to plenty of games throughout the season so it's always a longer trip home from the ground!

Some of the worst one's I've endured were definitely the 2009 game v Geelong where Bartel kicked the behind after the siren. First of many chokes after being in front for so long.

The 2011 Prelim was horrible. Mainly because I'd driven to Melb and back the previous week for the Semi against Sydney and had done so again the following week for this game. But I went there with low expectations of the outcome, so to be up for most of the game and getting excited about going to my first ever Grand Final the following week (had just upgraded to Gold Interstate member that season), to have it ripped away in the final minutes was pretty horrible. I don't think I moved from my seat for a good 5-10mins after the siren had gone. The 9hr drive home the next morning seemed much longer and lonelier!!

Then the Hawkins goal after the siren was another horrible experience.

2012 Grand Final might just be the worst though given it was my first GF and I (like most of you) was pretty confident of a win! But to cost ourselves the game with our poor kicking made it a bitter pill to swallow. I didn't move from my seat with my hands propping up my chin until the Red and White confetti started shooting out. What made it worse though was all of these Hawthorn 'supporters' around me were saying things like "Oh well, at least we were here." "Sydney were the better team" And "they tried really hard". My God I was ropable!

Hawkins after the siren was terrible, my seat is right on that 50, and I could see the half a chicken nugget stuck in his teeth when he grinned after kicking.

2015 "AFL Anti Doping Tribunal" was not comfortably satisfied Essendon had done a naughty thing :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

For me the 1996 elimination final against the Swans :p, this was at a time I thought players were super human and when Dunstall went down with a knee injury I was like oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - life is over :cry:. These days one player does an ACL almost every round.

I wouldn't even say it's the worst reaction ever (sure I do get upset when Hawthorn lose in certain situations but ehhh). I get annoyed when they start sluggish and it costs them a loss. I get annoyed when they "freeze" in the moment and let the opponent steal the victory.

2001 Preliminary Final. I was 19 at the time and had endured 8 years (which is a long time for a yoing hawks fan!) Of mediocrity.

I thought that croad kick was through.... Devastated. After a nail biting final against port the previous week I cried.... just sat there in tears after the final siren. Never been so emotional after a loss.
Yes, it was 25 players to 22, so the mighty hawks did as well as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought my 2011 prelim story was bad, now I won't bother

Am I the only one who walked out after our Prelim final loss to Essendon in 2001 proud as punch?
Never expected to even get close, and to play like we did with that team I was actually wrapped with them
I reckon you would have been.

The only reason I didn't go ballistic is because I was holding my day-old daughter in my arms & watched the game in the maternity ward.

I reckon you would have been.

The only reason I didn't go ballistic is because I was holding my day-old daughter in my arms & watched the game in the maternity ward.
I honestly thought we could get past Brisbane if we held on against Essendon..... I might have been wrong on that front looking back. Brisbane were about to enter their Dynasty.

Hawkins after the siren.
Mum and i had truly believed we had finally beaten geelong and were hugging and celebrating.
I cried for the whole weekend, i distinctly remember crying in the shower. My friend on monday who clearly had no idea about anything had a go at Roughead and blamed him for losing the game because of something he did in the 2nd quarter. i walked out of class and didn't talk to her until i got home and had a bit more of a cry

Hawkins after the siren.
Mum and i had truly believed we had finally beaten geelong and were hugging and celebrating.
I cried for the whole weekend, i distinctly remember crying in the shower. My friend on monday who clearly had no idea about anything had a go at Roughead and blamed him for losing the game because of something he did in the 2nd quarter. i walked out of class and didn't talk to her until i got home and had a bit more of a cry
Lol. So your friend missed the part where the Hawks got to the game 40 minutes too late? 51 points arrears!!

In 1997 against the Crows at Waverley, I ran onto the ground late in the last qtr and abused the umpire in the center as he was ready to ball up after a Modra goal. Salmon and Rehn waiting to ruck. We lost that game narrowly but I was so upset with the fact that Jars carved us up that day. I still have this on video. I became a legend amongst my friends and relatives.

For several years after, every time I attended a function like a wedding, complete strangers would come up to me and ask if I was the guys that ran onto the ground and if the myth was true. They all wanted to have a drink with me and my poor wife would just turn her head out of embarassment. Needless to say I always ended up very drunk.

Young and stupid I was.

Was it the Crows in 93 elimination final?? Anyway I felt sick afterwards, the Rat could have kicked a goal to put us in front I think and missed. Shattering day

In 1997 against the Crows at Waverley, I ran onto the ground late in the last qtr and abused the umpire in the center as he was ready to ball up after a Modra goal. Salmon and Rehn waiting to ruck. We lost that game narrowly but I was so upset with the fact that Jars carved us up that day. I still have this on video. I became a legend amongst my friends and relatives.

For several years after, every time I attended a function like a wedding, complete strangers would come up to me and ask if I was the guys that ran onto the ground and if the myth was true. They all wanted to have a drink with me and my poor wife would just turn her head out of embarassment. Needless to say I always ended up very drunk.

Young and stupid I was.

This is brilliant! Upload it on YouTube

KOLOKOTRONIS

This is brilliant! Upload it on YouTube

KOLOKOTRONIS

I would luv to but promised my wife that I would never put it on net. If you can find the game for round 9 1997 you may see me around 20 minute mark of last.

Leigh Matthews was commentating and he said "There's a stupid looking Hawthorn supporter, we don't need any of that". Funny thing is that during this I had a cigarette in my hand whilst on the ground. LOL. My brother was in the members stand and after the siren approached a cop to ask what will happen to the bloke who ran onto the ground. The cop asked "what's it to you?". My brother remarked "that dickhead is my brother". Cop laughed.

I would luv to but promised my wife that I would never put it on net. If you can find the game for round 9 1997 you may see me around 20 minute mark of last.

Leigh Matthews was commentating and he said "There's a stupid looking Hawthorn supporter, we don't need any of that". Funny thing is that during this I had a cigarette in my hand whilst on the ground. LOL. My brother was in the members stand and after the siren approached a cop to ask what will happen to the bloke who ran onto the ground. The cop asked "what's it to you?". My brother remarked "that dickhead is my brother". Cop laughed.

Lol that is brilliant

You have a memory for life. Who cares what people think. Something you will never forget. If I had the balls when I was younger I would do the same.

Bravo sou

KOLOKOTRONIS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back