Worst Season or seasons you can remember?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wes Tiger

All Australian
May 11, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
As a Richmond fan, every year:confused:In all seriousness, that post recently where the guy was labeling this year as atrocious got me thinking. Is there any seasons that you can recall that were just out and out pathetic? I couldnt think of any tbh. If I had to name 1 perhaps 2007 as it was just Geelong and everyone else was irrelevant. WCE I believe were the next best team but they were just hit too hard by injuries and crack cocaine to play to their real potential. The Pies very nearly topped Geelong in that prelim, the Grand Final itself was an absolute disaster.

Not for your own team being horrendous, can anyone think of any poor AFL seasons? Or is our game just too damn good:p

2009-2011 were very average, there were two standout teams in each of these years (St Kilda beating Geelong in the 2010 QF was a big upset however, preventing Geelong and Collingwood meeting in the GF) from pretty early on in the season it was pretty obvious who the top 2 would be, the bottom teams were rubbish and 100+ even 150+ point floggings weren't a rarity, remember Port being beaten by 162 points against Hawthorn and then 120 odd the next week against Collingwood? There were very few upsets, boring seasons (although it did make for good Grand Finals).

That's why I scoff at people claiming this is the worst season, there may not be any standout sides, but its tight at the top and bottom of the ladder, we've seen top 4 teams lose to bottom 4 teams, you wouldn't be surprised if anyone beat anyone from about 5th-14th, for mine this has been the best season for a long time, thoroughly entertaining.

Shithouse.

2 games a week?

Lieing deceitful clubs who pocket the charity of the community? That money was supposed to go the war effort not into your own pockets Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond! :mad: (Cant hate Fitzroy anymore, they got their karma)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you're really asking two questions there. The first one takes me back to 1934. Admiral Burn had just reached the pole, only hours ahead of the Three Stooges... and I guess he won the argument, but I walked away with the turnips. The following morning I resigned my commission with the coastguard. The next thing I knew there was civil war in Spain... and, that's everything which happened in my life right up to the time I posted in this thread.

2013 was boring, injuries were annoying then the most boring grand final of all time capped it off

Added to that was the Essendon garbage continually in the news all season which still hasn't abated 18 months later.

Those pricks have a lot to answer for. And I don't mean ASADA or the AFL.

Well you're really asking two questions there. The first one takes me back to 1934. Admiral Burn had just reached the pole, only hours ahead of the Three Stooges... and I guess he won the argument, but I walked away with the turnips. The following morning I resigned my commission with the coastguard. The next thing I knew there was civil war in Spain... and, that's everything which happened in my life right up to the time I posted in this thread.
Very nice.
I got separated from my platoon after we parachuted into Duseldorf so I rode out the rest of the war posing as a German cabaret singer.

2000 - the season was officially over by September 2, but over as a contest once Kouta went down late in the minor round if not before, Essendon were so far ahead of everyone else. And flooding reared its head for the first time.

Last edited:
You are a very silly person. Should be more of it.

Definately 2000, it had a feeling like the season was over before it even began. By the time Ess won however many games in a row it was pointless to anyone except bomber fans

This is the worst season simply because most teams are not even interested except picking up a paycheck.

The games are unwatchable now!

Lot of teams are not having a crack either way and just going through the motions!

The amount of manipulated matches like the Brisbane Carlton match has been disgraceful!

The other problem is the dilution of talent. There are a lot of average players playing atm and not a lot of strong teams at all!

Actually the year Swans won the premiership under Roos with ugly footy was pretty bad, glad I was overseas at the time of the GF!

Last edited:
I got separated from my platoon after we parachuted into Duseldorf so I rode out the rest of the war posing as a German cabaret singer.
Ach du lieber! Das ist nicht eine boobie!
<- Das ist eine boobie!

Despite it being a Premiership year for my club and featuring the greatest Grand Final in history, 1989 was a horrible season across the league. Melbourne was hit by wild weather throughout the season, and some of the atrocious ground conditions turned the standard of play into something that resembled pigs rolling in the mud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back