Worst stadium you have ever been to watch the footy and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

AAMI park. In the middle of nowhere, hard to get, we had to take a bus which took about an hour. The food was terrible, the ground is very ugly. At least it lacks benches.

AAMI Park in the middle of nowhere? It's practically next door to the MCG!

Also, why would you take the bus there when there's better tram/train options around that area.

Obvious troll on a non footy stadium. Aami park is a great little soccer/rugby ground.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Jesus Christ, I make one little mistake and I'm branded a troll. Look, I've been to west lakes three times, and every time, I'm reminded of how far it is from the city center and how ugly it is. Do you really think I'd try and sneak in some comment on a rugby/soccer Melbourne stadium in a thread about bad stadiums on a footy site? Have you ever been to Aami stadium? It's not really near anything. It's not near the center of the city where most tourists stay, it's not near Glenelg either which we stayed once either (rookie mistake).

Jesus Christ, I make one little mistake and I'm branded a troll. Look, I've been to west lakes three times, and every time, I'm reminded of how far it is from the city center and how ugly it is. Do you really think I'd try and sneak in some comment on a rugby/soccer Melbourne stadium in a thread about bad stadiums on a footy site? Have you ever been to Aami stadium? It's not really near anything. It's not near the center of the city where most tourists stay, it's not near Glenelg either which we stayed once either (rookie mistake).
Sooo the MCG and docklands are the same? They are next door....

Complained about aami because of location, yet its right beside the MCG & etihad. Dont see the problem

He meant AAMI Stadium in South Australia, Not AAMI Park in Melbourne, just for a clarification, so no. AAMI is not right beside Etihad, nor is Etihad right beside the MCG. AAMI Park and the MCG are close, though.

Complained about aami because of location, yet its right beside the MCG & etihad. Dont see the problem

Richo83 said:

Are you even reading my posts? Do you know what west lakes refers to?

He meant AAMI Stadium in South Australia, Not AAMI Park in Melbourne, just for a clarification, so no. AAMI is not right beside Etihad, nor is Etihad right beside the MCG. AAMI Park and the MCG are close, though.

Yeah apparently that was a really confusing message. I clarify and general giant is still clueless. :confused:

Ironic you were willing to subtly insult him while oblivious to the fact he was referring to Adelaide's AAMI Stadium, not Melbourne's AAMI Park, even among all the subtle clues such as 'Glenelg' and 'West Lakes'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The gabba for me , no or practically no parking , must of originally been put in the spot , when people went by horse and cart , or were forced to catch a tram !

Sorry to bag out my own state but definitely Subi and the WACA. I refuse to go to the former now when the Cats are in town just for the fact we pay over $60 to be stuck up behind the goals at the city end with hardly any room and awful facilities. A mate and his dad have really good seats in the two tier stand with the Dockers and go there sometimes but the concourse at the bottom of that stand is deplorable. Just not enough room.

Half of Optus Oval is no s**t nicer than Subiaco. And I reckon the Sherrin Stand at Vic Park is about on par with a fair bit of it.

Have been to four of the current ones and this is my ranking:
1. MCG - fantastic, great viewing from everywhere (bar nose bleed section of top level), best food at a stadium I've been to, easy toilet access. Don't particularly like it when wet, but the same could be said for any stadium without a roof. The carpark is a pain too.
2. Etihad - I don't get all of the hate for it from most Melbournians. Has good viewing and good access. Excellent atmosphere for crowds over 30,000 - I remember being at a St Kilda vs Brisbane game back in 2004 that had 52,000 people!! St Kilda won by a point, I reckon the last quarter the noise was deafening the whole time. The negatives are the costs - food is overpriced and crap, especially compared to the 'G and parking is an absolute rip off, the best seats are way too pricey.
3. Gabba - I can see what some people say about the viewing on Level 1, but on Level 3 everything is fine. I used to hate the Brisbane fans because they would have no idea and the atmosphere was a bit dull. We used to catch a free bus from Chermside shopping centre so from a transport perspective that worked out well.
4. Simonds Stadium - was there last year for the third time. It's generally pretty good, facilities are okay and viewing is fine. But the locals, ohh so many ferals, and parking was impossible to find.

Of the non-current ones the only one I went to was Princes Park (was called Optus Oval at the time), I remember it was a pain to get to and the facilities weren't great but I guess it was okay.

As an aside, how great is AAMI Park? Great atmosphere, good viewing and perfect size!

AAMI stadium for me. I hate to bash the place as it holds so many fond memories for me, but transport was a logistical nightmare, the atmosphere towards the end was non existent (i think people were mentally at AO before the end of season 2012), the aluminium seats back in the day were ****ing freezing during the winter months, and like most stadiums, the food was generally way overpriced and absolutely horrible. I would have loved to have gone to Waverley, as whilst I probably would have hated that place too- AAMI does have that waverley feel both in life and death.

Skilled stadium and the SCG were both average when I went there (bearing in mind this was the early 2000's), so upgrades to both would change my opinion no doubt.

The MCG the best by a street.

AAMI stadium for me. I hate to bash the place as it holds so many fond memories for me, but transport was a logistical nightmare, the atmosphere towards the end was non existent (i think people were mentally at AO before the end of season 2012), the aluminium seats back in the day were ****ing freezing during the winter months, and like most stadiums, the food was generally way overpriced and absolutely horrible. I would have loved to have gone to Waverley, as whilst I probably would have hated that place too- AAMI does have that waverley feel both in life and death.

Skilled stadium and the SCG were both average when I went there (bearing in mind this was the early 2000's), so upgrades to both would change my opinion no doubt.

The MCG the best by a street.

Same for me... I lived in Westlakes for years so I didnt have to worry about the parking, but still the stadium was rubbish. The seats, the over crowded bars, the lack of atmosphere. Recently I went to the Lions v Port game at AO and although watching my Lions get flogged the atmosphere the general day out with Footy/city was awesome... AO is a sensational stadium and 10/10 compared to AAMI's 2/10

Last edited:
One end at Simonds Stadium hasn't changed since the 1970s, I swear. The seats are on the most curious incline, the setting out is bizarre, there's a standing section, and the whole thing is exposed to the elements all the time. Plus there's one main exit and entrance for this quarter of the ground so it takes ages to get in and out. And the toilets are literally like troughs – I swore I had deja vu from when I was a kid at the MCG pre-Olympic Stand days. Just archaic. One half of the ground looks great though and as modern as you could really ask for. The other wing is serviceable but probably right about nearing a rebuild – as opposed to this Ablett Terrace which is about 15 years overdue for a rebuild.

But for a yearly trip down... I genuinely love it. It's exciting to spend your day going to an average town and an outdated stand. Baffling but it's the last beacon of the suburban experience most of the people I know missed out on.

Carrara - circa Brisbane Bears - was an overgrown country football ground, had shipping containers being used as change rooms and as food/drinks serving spots and I actually mean old shipping containers not rectangular food stalls you see today. Only thing missing was cars parked around the outer wing.

North Hobart Oval (1991) - Went down for one of the Fitzroy games there, whilst viewing was good there was a reason the expirement ended, the ground wasn't much bigger than a postage stamp.

AAMI Stadium (Football Park) - cold, soulless wasteland. If it wasn't bad enough being in an industrial estate in the cold winds the aluminium bench seating would ensure you came home wishing you hadn't gone.

Western Oval (final AFL years) - whilst I have some very fond memories of this ground the facilities in its last few years were sub-standard. At the scoreboard end the gents behind the goal you couldn't actually get down to the entrance level of the dunnies because it would be in a pool of urine, so you';d just add to the pool by having a piss from the step.

Moorabbin - All I will say is if you ever saw the animal enclosure you know why (have a mate who has part of the enclosure framed in his drinking shed)

I'm not going to say it's the worst.
But having now experienced Adelaide Oval.
The MCG is average in comparison.
Oversized, ugly monstrosity, no atmosphere unless there's 60+ thousand.
Average viewing angles (compared to AO)
Food, alcohol and toilets further away from the seats than at AO.

At least they have a siren you can hear (well, that, or the Carlton fans are that quiet and can't drown out a siren like Crows fans can)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back