Worst stadium you have ever been to watch the footy and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

AAMI stadium for me. I hate to bash the place as it holds so many fond memories for me, but transport was a logistical nightmare, the atmosphere towards the end was non existent (i think people were mentally at AO before the end of season 2012), the aluminium seats back in the day were ****ing freezing during the winter months, and like most stadiums, the food was generally way overpriced and absolutely horrible. I would have loved to have gone to Waverley, as whilst I probably would have hated that place too- AAMI does have that waverley feel both in life and death.

Skilled stadium and the SCG were both average when I went there (bearing in mind this was the early 2000's), so upgrades to both would change my opinion no doubt.

The MCG the best by a street.

Man those Aluminium seats! You might recall the 2nd Semi in 1988. Cold, pissing down rain and the Legs didn't have a major on the board at Lemon Time! That might have been one of those happy memories you were speaking of but as a Cat fan I hated the place. I did a jig when they pulled stumps and GTFO of there.

Still better than Optus Oval. Reminded me of the Parade LOL.

Worst stadiums for:

accessibility while drunk: Princes Park
ability to go home in under an hour unless you left halfway through the last quarter: Waverley
absolute soullessness unless there's more than thirty thousand people present and cheering: Docklands
frequency of clueless bogans who are just there for a blue: Gabba pre-renovations

Subiaco Oval.. By far. Go to a game in Melbourne at MCG / Docklands is like stepping up to 21st century. Then the next week sitting on wooden benches with the sun in your eyes and absolutely crap views. Can't wait for the Perth Stadium in 2018.

Man those Aluminium seats! You might recall the 2nd Semi in 1988. Cold, pissing down rain and the Legs didn't have a major on the board at Lemon Time! That might have been one of those happy memories you were speaking of but as a Cat fan I hated the place. I did a jig when they pulled stumps and GTFO of there.

Still better than Optus Oval. Reminded me of the Parade LOL.

Too young for the 88 semi, but 94-99 was a brilliant era to be a Magpies fan, especially the 94-96 GF's for mine. My favourite AAMI memory will always be the 2004 PF.

Local footy: melton showgrounds
It is literally the smallest ground my owner has ever been to umpire at.

AFL: waverley park because you freeze there.

Subiaco Oval.. By far. Go to a game in Melbourne at MCG / Docklands is like stepping up to 21st century. Then the next week sitting on wooden benches with the sun in your eyes and absolutely crap views. Can't wait for the Perth Stadium in 2018.
Yeah I went to a West Coast/ Hawthorn game at Subiaco back in the day, our view was a huge concrete pillar in font of our seats, it rained and the stadium leaked!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL Grand Final at Etihad- confirms my view about the hell hole. Awful loss at an awful stadium, then I had to go and see the proddie in laws after. Uggggg

As much as I dislike going to watch the footy at Subi I suspect I will miss it when it's time to go. It may be a dump, but it's our dump. The only saving grace for it is the view from my seat, which I like.
You could put up with its flaws a lot easier when it was at most 3/4 full for our games but it's an absolute nightmare going there at a capacity crowd.

Last edited:
It used to be KP, just an awful place to watch footy, would always be very thankful for a melbourne game.

But since the renos KP is now my favourite. Still a bit quiet but that's a cat supporters thing not a stadium thing.

Candidates:

Victoria Park.
Basically a tip that smelt only slightly better.
Went once, that was enough.

Kardinia Park- just too windy. Thankfully last time I went was in 1990's

VFL Park on a cold, windy, wet day is like being at the South Pole.
The seats were too far from action also.

For lack of atmosphere Docklands hands down in middle of sunny day with bloody roof on. Terrible!!!

ANZ Stadium. Hard to get to and not worth the effort. Souless place and surface terrible for a game of football.
Went once, regret it.

Special mentions to Subiaco Oval and Moorabin.
Went once to each ground and not a lot going for either.

ANZ Stadium wins it.

If your answer isn't Subiaco Oval, then the only reason that could be is because you haven't been to Subiaco Oval.

Is it even referred to as the House of Pain anymore? I figure it got that name from the backaches and sore knees from the compact seating arrangement...

Candidates:

Victoria Park.
Basically a tip that smelt only slightly better.
Went once, that was enough.

Kardinia Park- just too windy. Thankfully last time I went was in 1990's

VFL Park on a cold, windy, wet day is like being at the South Pole.
The seats were too far from action also.

For lack of atmosphere Docklands hands down in middle of sunny day with bloody roof on. Terrible!!!

ANZ Stadium. Hard to get to and not worth the effort. Souless place and surface terrible for a game of football.
Went once, regret it.

Special mentions to Subiaco Oval and Moorabin.
Went once to each ground and not a lot going for either.

ANZ Stadium wins it.

Just reading through this. Did you ever go to Windy hill? or Glenferrie? Surely, along with Moorabbin, are the worst ever grounds to play top level footy on.

Just reading through this. Did you ever go to Windy hill? or Glenferrie? Surely, along with Moorabbin, are the worst ever grounds to play top level footy on.

I got to Windy Hill at least two times I recall. Don't remember any real issues in particular issue with the ground apart from amazing scoreboard the two times I recall. Glenferrie was way behind my time. Hawks were playing at Princes Park when I first started going to the footy. I can only recall going to Moorabin once. I recall we won by 140 points. Don't think I went to any other games there.

Probably Manuka Oval (or whatever they're calling it nowadays) and that's because the G and Etihad are the only other places I've seen an AFL game at. Really loved Etihad as a kid and their Wifi now is amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back